I love fiber one bars...but I can't eat them

Options
bobbiedr
bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
I used to eat the fiber one chocolate bars for snacks at work. I can't eat them anymore.

Those tear up my stomach. They give me gas, but while I'm at work, I can't release the gas because that would be embarassing. So I "hold" it, and when I do that, my stomach hurts the rest of the day.

The same thing happened when I had a bowl of Kashi go lean crunch cereal.

Maybe my body isn't used to that much fiber? I dunno, but it's a shame that I can't enjoy the fiber one bars.

Replies

• mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    LOL...I'm laughing because I deal(t) with the same thing. I have been eating A LOT more fruit though and that seems to help.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Oh I love those things. If you start out only eating a part of a bar at a time you can build up. For me, they tasted so good I would eat two or three a day and really hurt myself so I had to stop buying them.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Same happens to me, it's because of the inulin. You can read more here: http://www.fooducate.com/blog/2010/07/10/farting-fiber-the-story-of-inulin/.
  • Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    LMAO!!! I have the same problem!
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    I love those too and used to eat one every day but haven't been lately. I still like to have one once in a while though. I just got the new brownie 90 calories bars and will plan on trying one tomorrow :) It's nice to have a "guilt free" chocolate fix once in a while.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Kellogg’s Fiber Plus are soooooooooooo much better! They are bigger, tastier and real unlike the shiny weird Fiber One bars. I don't know it they'll make you less gassy but I just wanted to comment that Fiber Plus Rules, Fiber One drools!!!!! LOL!
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have felt your pain, ha ha! I can tolerate the 90 calorie brownies though, but the kashi cereal and the fiber one snack bars are torcher! Too bad, they taste good. The special K protein plus cereal and shakes seem to do okay. Maybe you better stick to nuts, ha ha! good luck.
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    I had the same problem! They tasted so delicious and my thought process was "oh, it's healthy!" so I would have 2-3 a day. BAD IDEA! I would try having half a bar a couple times a week and work up from there. They're really delicious and keep me full, it's a shame to cut them out!! :]
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    HAHA, same happened to me. i was eating them like candy bars as I LOVE THEM! And i felt soooo bloated and gassy for almost a week! I finally figured out that I have to drink a lot of water when I have high fiber days, it really seems to help.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Those bars taste amazing! Sooo yummy... but... uhh...yea.... I can't eat them. I get plenty of fiber so I'm used to having lots of fiber everyday, but those make me so unbelievably gassy. I was so embarrassed even in front of my husband. SOO bad!
  • mauck7
    mauck7 Posts: 74
    Options
    I love those too and used to eat one every day but haven't been lately. I still like to have one once in a while though. I just got the new brownie 90 calories bars and will plan on trying one tomorrow :) It's nice to have a "guilt free" chocolate fix once in a while.

To me, these are sooo delish, its like cheating. ;-)
  • kahardgrove
    kahardgrove Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love them but I'll only eat them on the weekends or in the evening. I'm a teacher and I was having too much gas too. So, you're normal.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to work up to eating more fiber each day. I eat 35-50 grams a day with no gas issues or anything....but I used to struggle just to get in 16 grams a day.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Kellogg’s Fiber Plus are soooooooooooo much better! They are bigger, tastier and real unlike the shiny weird Fiber One bars. I don't know it they'll make you less gassy but I just wanted to comment that Fiber Plus Rules, Fiber One drools!!!!! LOL!
    The chocolate caramel coconut ones are my favorite!!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    My son is NOT allowed to eat those. I choose not to because of the side effects, but at 20 years old, he is already worried about his fiber intake so he asked me to buy them for him. I made THAT mistake ONCE. He, of course, thought it was hilarious to cause a cloud of stink in the house. :sick:
  • DarkOctoberNight
    DarkOctoberNight Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fiber one bar fan, but the caramel is too much for my teeth. I also was having a gas issue. I started adding Benefiber to my foods and not only can you not taste it...IT DOSNT MAKE YOU TOOT!! It's a little expensive...wal mart has the best deal on it, but it's worth it. I believe they still have some free samples available...I'd say give that a try. Good Luck!
  • Gut2Glam
    Gut2Glam Posts: 15
    Options
    Dang how do you get so much fiber in your diet mamagooskie! I'm having a really hard time getting enough and I feel like I eat a TON of veggies almost everyday.
  • Gut2Glam
    Gut2Glam Posts: 15
    Options
    I think you just have to work up to eating more fiber each day. I eat 35-50 grams a day with no gas issues or anything....but I used to struggle just to get in 16 grams a day.

Dang how do you get so much fiber in your diet mamagooskie! I'm having a really hard time getting enough and I feel like I eat a TON of veggies almost everyday.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I love them too but I got really bad gas, especially in the beginning. After a few weeks of eating them everyday, it got better but I have now stopped all together. I made the mistake once of eating an apple with the fiber one bar; almost blew my office up!!!
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My walking partner and I joke Fiber One bars "make the baby kick." I won't eat those, either. I do like Kashi Go Lean and don't seem to have the same problem with it.