I love fiber one bars...but I can't eat them

Options

Replies

• aabyrer
    aabyrer Posts: 57
    Options
    I LOVE the fiber one brownies..yum yum!!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    My walking partner and I joke Fiber One bars "make the baby kick." I won't eat those, either. I do like Kashi Go Lean and don't seem to have the same problem with it.

Ha ha, that is the perfect way to describe it! :laugh:
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oh man, meee too. Those really tear me up! I used to work in a busy office and I was so embarrassed. It took me a half a box to figure out what was up. (Yes, I'm a little slow!)
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    that happened to me exactly! I know that if you're eating something high in fiber that it always helps to drink a ton of water with it. It's supposed to reduce the gas I think. I actually eat like maybe 1/2 of one if I'm going to eat one now. That seems to work for me.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    that happened to me exactly! I know that if you're eating something high in fiber that it always helps to drink a ton of water with it. It's supposed to reduce the gas I think. I actually eat like maybe 1/2 of one if I'm going to eat one now. That seems to work for me.

Well the water is likely to help the gas, but as I understand, when you are eating high fiber you need it to keep from constipation, as particularly soluble fiber absorbs a ton of water to do its thing.

Sorry for my spelling and grammar.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    after I eat them or fiber one cereal, I sometimes have to step away and ummm, let it out LOL!!
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Gut2glam,

I have less of those issues when I eat non snack bar fiber, ha ha. Rasperries, or other berries are good, like 6 - 8 grams of fiber in one cup which i put in a smoothie. Fiber one yogurt is great! only 50 calories and 5 grams of fiber and protein in each cup(i also put that in my smoothie) special k protein plus cereal has 5 gms of fiber and 10 gm protein per serving. I also have found some whole wheat bread that I like. Nature's own wheat with 40 cal per slice and 3 gms fiber per slice. Broccoli, peas, bananas, things like that are good. The fiber one brownies are 5 grms per bar. Just check out the labels and the nutritional content on here for fresh foods and you will find things you like and can "tolerate" that are higher in fiber. I do tend to lose weight better when I am getting 30 grams or more of fiber in my diet each day. Plus it makes you feel more full.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Same happens to me, it's because of the inulin. You can read more here: http://www.fooducate.com/blog/2010/07/10/farting-fiber-the-story-of-inulin/.

So glad I am not the only one. I can't have anything with "added" fiber. No Kashi, no double fiber english muffins, no "carb balance" wraps.... It's kind of annoying because I would REALLY like to find a lower calorie wrap but can't without find any lower than 210 calories without the extra, fart and HORRIBLE cramps inducing fiber.
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    Are you serious! NOW I KNOW, but I have to finish the box! LOL
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Eat half, and see how that goes.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    Haha! My whole family eats and LOVES fiber one products. They have great cereal, yogurt, the bars of course, and now even brownies! Most of us aren't getting nearly enough fiber in our daily lives. I think these are a great way to add some fiber if you don't really like lots and lots of veggies. I have the same problem with the gas :blushing: but sometimes I will just excuse myself to go to the restroom and do what I have to do and get back to work! I also suggest eating them around 2 or 3pm so you are home before it starts taking effect. We make a joke out of it in my house. When someone farts we just say "Sounds like someone got their fiber today!"

Its happens. fiber is good for you!
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    We call them "fart one" bars.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    ...just fart... everybody farts...
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    They are delicious.....but you do need to think about where you will be situated a few hours later. :-)
  • JensGurl
    Options
    The kelloggs fiber bars tear my stomach up SO bad but Ive heard a few people say just stick with it and it will subside and even go away completely after a while. Has anyone else stuck it out and noticed it get better on their stomach?? If I have hope this eventually wont be an everyday issue, Ill just wait it out til my body gets used to it...
  • white_horse
    white_horse Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Kellogg’s Fiber Plus are soooooooooooo much better! They are bigger, tastier and real unlike the shiny weird Fiber One bars. I don't know it they'll make you less gassy but I just wanted to comment that Fiber Plus Rules, Fiber One drools!!!!! LOL!

The Fiber Plus bars taste good but at least for me they are soooo much worse than the Fiber One bars. The Fiber One bars I can handle without a problem (and to me taste ok). While the Fiber Plus bars taste better within an hour or two I'm cramping, bad gas, and heading to the ladies room.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME problem (which reminds me that I forgot to bring one today! :grumble: ). When I was PG it would take me 2-3 days to get over eating one! But they're so dang good! LOL
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Ditch the glorified candy bars and opt for fresh fruits and veggies to get your fiber. Quest Protein bars are my "go to" bar. Minimal ingredients, packed with protein and fiber, low carb, gluten free. And the quality of fiber and ingredients in your bars make all the difference. Quest bars have 17/18g of high quality fiber that DO NOT upset the stomach. I've eaten up to 5 bars in single day (don't ask!) and have never had an issue. Compare the ingredients list and you will see! :flowerforyou:
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Kellogg’s Fiber Plus are soooooooooooo much better! They are bigger, tastier and real unlike the shiny weird Fiber One bars. I don't know it they'll make you less gassy but I just wanted to comment that Fiber Plus Rules, Fiber One drools!!!!! LOL!

I have the exact opposite experience. I can eat Fiber One anything with no problem. I ate a Fiber Plus bar once. Luckily it was right before I left work so I didn't subject anyone else to the misery. But I almost had to abandon my car on the way home.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My walking partner and I joke Fiber One bars "make the baby kick." I won't eat those, either. I do like Kashi Go Lean and don't seem to have the same problem with it.

Ha ha, that is the perfect way to describe it! :laugh:

No, I didn't get used to it. But I'm glad to finally see what my wife was trying to describe:happy:

I have to admit to a brainless span of my life(guy thing?). I used to eat 2 or more of those bars a day for over 6 months, loved them. I never put 2 and 2 together over that entire time that the bars may have been the cause of said baby simulation (triplets at least). Someone mentioned it one day and I read up on it, stopped eating them, and life got a lot less hazardous. I guess I have to find a different way to get the fiber since my body didn't get used to the bars in 6 months.