Tricks To Drink Enough Water

Options
Kittyfeliz
Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
I don't drink enough water, I should be drinking at least 75 ounces but I can never remember. Sometimes it will slip my mind almost all day, I'm not a thirsty person in general so I never think of it. What tricks do you use to make sure you get enough water everyday?

Replies

• Lauren38570
    Lauren38570 Posts: 239
    Options
    Hey , Well it is 5 calories a pack but some are calorie free even but I always put the flavored packs like crystal light or something really good in the water bottle and shake it up and it's a really good drink.My favirotes are diet snapple and crystal light pink lemonade.I also just put lemon in it as well , I like the lemon flavor.When I do that im able to drink the 8 glasses a day , hope that helps =)
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I try and get three in before or around breakfast - 1 glass to take my tablets with (woohoo, at last, I'm grateful for morning medication!), 1 glass of hot water with a slice of lemon and a 3rd glass after my breakfast. That puts me a 1/3 of my way through. If I don't, then I often struggle because then I forget until lunchtime to drink any meaningful water!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    There is Apps for smartphones (Android and Iphone, im not sure about blackberry) that will remind you to drink water, and you can set them up to remind you every hour or so. (if you have a smartphone)
  • Lauren38570
    Options
    ohhh I'll have to check that app out thats awesome but to make sure im not giving bad advice here do u all think the flavored packs to put in water is ok?
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    We have a water filter system at work. Filling my water bottle back up gives me a reason to get up and move around and socialize :) I keep a Smartwater bottle on my desk all day (3 cups) and at the end of the day I've usually already refilled it at least 2 - 3 times.

I also drink a lot of Vitamin Water Zero. Zero calories. They come in yummy flavors. Pomegranate-Acai and Strawberry are my favorite ones. There's also a lemonade on and go-go-berry that taste awesome.
  • Lauren38570
    Options
    awesome and i'll have to try that!In your opinion do u think the 5 calorie packs are pretty much okay?Debating whether or not I should log them into my diary or not
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I think the 5 calorie packs are awesome if they make you drink more liquids. Essentially its water even though you're adding flavoring to it.

What I used to do when my trainer wanted to know what I was eating, I'd add the water bottles into my water count and put the 5 calorie packets into my food diary so it would add the calories into my food equation. My trainer looks like Vin Diesel so if he didn't think they were bad for me, I took it lol
  • kumarprabhat
    kumarprabhat Posts: 116
    Options
    At work, I keep two 1L water bottles. I fill them as soon as I step in. Target is to se them empty before I leave for home. If they are empty before my day is over, I refill, and drink as much I can before EOD.

Biggest challenge for me is when I am at home. With everyone present - my wifey, kids, parents - I am just unable to track. What I have tried to do is to grab a glassful, whenever I cross the kitchen, and ensure that I am never thirsty. I am hoping this is taking care of enough water intake on holidays as well.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    awesome and i'll have to try that!In your opinion do u think the 5 calorie packs are pretty much okay?Debating whether or not I should log them into my diary or not

I don't count it. 5 calories is so marginal. You burn 5 calories shaking the bottle up LOL.
  • Keeley23
    Keeley23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I set myself targets each day...1 litre bottle drank by the time i get in work at 9:15am, then a second 1 litre bottle drank by the time lunch is finished, so around 1pm. Then i have another 1 litre bottle to drink by the time dinner is finished, so 6pm, then i have a final 1 litre bottle the rest of the evening which is when i work out.

It's really easy to do and i'm drinking double the 2 litres recommended over here in Britain. I have had to work up to this amount, it took me around 3 months from January, i don't need to go to the toilet too ofen anymore at all.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hey , Well it is 5 calories a pack but some are calorie free even but I always put the flavored packs like crystal light or something really good in the water bottle and shake it up and it's a really good drink.My favirotes are diet snapple and crystal light pink lemonade.I also just put lemon in it as well , I like the lemon flavor.When I do that im able to drink the 8 glasses a day , hope that helps =)

I also drink Crystal Light. I like the one for metabolism. They are 5 calories per serving. A packet is two servings. So, if you use the entire pack (and who doesn't), you would be getting 10 calories. Still not bad and they taste so good.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think the 5 calorie packs are awesome if they make you drink more liquids. Essentially its water even though you're adding flavoring to it.

What I used to do when my trainer wanted to know what I was eating, I'd add the water bottles into my water count and put the 5 calorie packets into my food diary so it would add the calories into my food equation. My trainer looks like Vin Diesel so if he didn't think they were bad for me, I took it lol

I agree. It's more important to get the water in than to stress out about the 5 calories!

Over time, you may even find that you prefer these drinks a bit diluted--say using half as much of the powder.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I carry a 24 oz water bottle with me all day long. It has a ring on the top that you can use to count how many times you've refilled throughout the day.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/178-2321585-2913304?asin=B002VJX4C4&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|B002VJX4C4&CPNG=sports&ci_gpa=pla&ci_sku=B002VJX4C4&ci_kw={keyword}&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job so I fill my 32 oz bottle every morning and squirt some MIO in it. I have to drink it by lunch or no food for me!! haha. I refill and must drink another 32oz before I leave for the day. Then when I get home I have a few glasses of Crystal Light diluted with dinner. Not quite 100 oz a day, but close!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

I agree. It's more important to get the water in than to stress out about the 5 calories!

Over time, you may even find that you prefer these drinks a bit diluted--say using half as much of the powder.

I use the walmart brand of crystal light and add one packet to a 32 oz bottle. I count the calories but with the small amount in the large bottle of water the benefits outweigh the calories :wink:
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    When you drink that much water, how do you avoid using the restroom so much at work? I'm on the phones and only get two breaks (plus lunch) to be off from them to use the restroom. I don't know if I could hold it until my breaks came....
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I carry a 24 oz water bottle with me all day long. It has a ring on the top that you can use to count how many times you've refilled throughout the day.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/178-2321585-2913304?asin=B002VJX4C4&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|B002VJX4C4&CPNG=sports&ci_gpa=pla&ci_sku=B002VJX4C4&ci_kw={keyword}&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

This is a great idea, thanks!!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    When you drink that much water, how do you avoid using the restroom so much at work? I'm on the phones and only get two breaks (plus lunch) to be off from them to use the restroom. I don't know if I could hold it until my breaks came....

At first, you do run to the bathroom much more frequently. Over time, your body handles it better but you will still need to go more frequently than a lot of people.
  • Swissmiss
    Options

I also have three of these bottles. They are "intake" by thermos. Fill one up all the way three times and you have had 8-8oz cups. What I like the most about them is the ring to show how many fillings.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I just want to share a bit with you.....a girl, at the gym I go to, is a body builder. She brings in a full gallon jug of water every day. When she is done lifting the jug is empty.