Tricks To Drink Enough Water

Options

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You dont actually need 8 glasses of pure water.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/how-much-water-should-I-drink.aspx

You get lots of it naturally anyway from fruit and veg, and any fluid counts as "water" :)
  • Lauren38570
    Lauren38570 Posts: 239
    Options
    I average to 3-4 bottles of water a day
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You dont actually need 8 glasses of pure water.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/how-much-water-should-I-drink.aspx

You get lots of it naturally anyway from fruit and veg, and any fluid counts as "water" :)

I have always thought that the 8-8oz glasses were over and above whatever we got in our food.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm trying "sassy water," its suppose to help with your water intake. Suppose to taste good. We shall see. It's also reported to help with bloating and keeping your gi tract healthy.Google "sassy water" for the recipe if you like.:smile:
  • hollythehutt
    Options
    Whenever I go out - to class, or volunteering, or shopping, or an appointment, or anything at all - I buy 3-6 (depending on size) bottles of water on the way, and try to finish them all by the time I get back. My record's 225cl in three hours. Otherwise, I find that I just forget to drink any; I don't really feel thirsty, as I drink a lot of coffee and, if I don't have the willpower not to snack, I snack on fruits, and the juice gets rid of obvious thirst.
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just found out on Thursday that I was very near to being dehydrated which really surprised me as I was drinking 5-6 glasses of water and 1-2 cups of green tea a day. My doctor told me he wants me to drink a minimum of 72 ounces of water a day. He then said for every cup of tea I drink I have to drink 2 cups of water (or in other words, if I drink a cup of tea at breakfast my first 2 cups of water don't count :grumble: ) Further, he stated, "if it has anything in it it aint water!" Meaning no crystal light, flavored vitamin water, etc!

So I am now trying to drink 16 ounces with breakfast (no tea ha ha), 16 with my mid-morning snack, 16 at lunch & dinner and then I have the water that I drink at the gym some time during the day. It has helped me remember by putting myself on this schedule however,.....I now live in the bathroom :ohwell:

Oh, I also fill a pitcher with 72 ounces every night and make sure to empty it each day that way I know I have made my quota.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The sassy water wasn't so sassy:tongue:
  • whitneyann0
    whitneyann0 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I love water!! But in order to make sure I am drinking enough... here is what I do...
    I have a Camelbak water bottle that holds 24 oz. I make sure that it is always full. I will tell myself "You have to finish this bottle before you can go do ______" Drinking one of those is equal to 3 8oz glasses. :)
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    I struggle sometimes too. I drink the most when I'm exercising (about 3 bottles during zumba) and a bottle or more when I'm eating a meal. I don't drink crystal light because it makes my teeth feel like fuzzy slippers. I don't know how some people drink upwards of 150oz a day...not only do I not have time, I am just not that thirsty.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    I carry a 24 oz water bottle with me all day long. It has a ring on the top that you can use to count how many times you've refilled throughout the day.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/178-2321585-2913304?asin=B002VJX4C4&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|B002VJX4C4&CPNG=sports&ci_gpa=pla&ci_sku=B002VJX4C4&ci_kw={keyword}&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

Cool! Thanks, ordering it!:drinker:
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have such an easy way...I drink to and from work. Its 20 miles each way, and I can easily get a bottle (16.9 oz) down...that four cups right there!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    At work, I keep two 1L water bottles. I fill them as soon as I step in. Target is to se them empty before I leave for home. If they are empty before my day is over, I refill, and drink as much I can before EOD.
    Oh, thank you! I love this idea for work.

I've started a new habit at home that is really working for me because it's kind of like a perpetual motion machine. Whenever I go to the bathroom, I pass the water dispenser. I drink 4 oz. of water before going into the tiny room. It guarantees that I'll have to go again, which guarantees that I'll drink more water, which guarantees that I'll go again... et al ad infinitum.

I don't stop till about 10 p.m. That makes me get up in the middle of the night, which I'm viewing as a bonus because I look at the clock and feel thankful that I have a couple more hours to sleep before I have to get up and get ready for work. :-D
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    The new MIO squirt things are a little pricy, but you can add as much or as little as you like. They do last a long time and are worth it to me because I have trouble making sure I drink all day. Walmart has come out with their own version (IMO they're not as good, but cheaper)

Maybe try to drink the H2O ICE COLD? or really hot? (Tea) I have a really big mug that I drink green tea out of all night, every night because it keeps me from eating junk! I don't really like the taste of green tea plain and stevia gives it a weird taste, so I have been using liquid vanilla (sugar free) Torani flavoring syrup. Comes in a bunch of flavors--make sure it's the sugar free versiion---the other ones have calories!
    You can get Torani at Walmart in the coffee aisle and Target has their own brand too!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Keep sipping, all day long. Drink from a cup or bottle you know the volume of and only fill it again once it is empty. Just keep it with you where ever you go.

Dehydration can happen really easy, especially in dry, hot regions. This is why it is so imperative to drink, even if you're not feeling thirsty. By the time you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. If you eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, it's not as important, but this is why the suggestion of 8 8-ounce glasses a day exists. Most people don't drink enough, and don't get enough from their food.

A standard I use for water is 1/2 my body weight in pounds as ounces of water. So, for my 186 pounds I drink a minimum of 93 ounces of water every day. However up to half of this could be from non-water sources low in sodium and caffeine free.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i have to put in my two cents and say that if you have to go to the bathroom, regardless of how many "breaks" you have, your employer has to let you go. it's completely bull**** for anyone to say you cannot urinate! if it were to ever become that big of a problem, i would have a doctor write a note for you saying you must go when you have to go. when i was a kid i had kidney stones and if i waited to go to the bathroom, i would get stabbing pain in my back. one of my teachers never let me go to the bathroom during class and the principal ended up yelling at him. i know school and your full time job is a bit different, but still. if you gotta go, you gotta go.

also, the doctor that said water with anything in it isn't water is full of ****. now, koolaid or lemonade with tons of sugar in it isn't exactly "water" but water with 5 extra calories in it for flavoring is freaking water! by his reasoning, water with a lemon slice in it isn't water! ha!

i've found that drinking out of a straw makes me drink more water.. i have no idea why, but it works for me! i use a reusable, dishwasher safe, bpa-free water bottle with a screw on lid and a straw. love it!
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    any thoughts on the impact of herbal non-caffinated teas? I tend to reach my water goals by including unsweetened/plain licorice spice tea, floral tea, or cinnamon chai (no actual tea in it). Do these count as water or tea?
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    I carry a 24 oz water bottle with me all day long. It has a ring on the top that you can use to count how many times you've refilled throughout the day.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/178-2321585-2913304?asin=B002VJX4C4&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|B002VJX4C4&CPNG=sports&ci_gpa=pla&ci_sku=B002VJX4C4&ci_kw={keyword}&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

This is a great idea, thanks!!

I actually have this bottle! It does help a lot . i especially like how it has different increments on the side so i know I HAVE to drink at least 3 bottles a day :)
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS carry a 36oz water bottle around EVERYWHERE. When you have access to it non-stop, you tend to just drink it. I also every hour fill an 8oz glass and just chug as much of it as I can.
  • stefkhan
    stefkhan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Break it down during the day...you need to drink 4 bottles of water per day. Perhaps aim to drink each by a certain time of the day. 1 before 11am, 1 before 3pm, 1 before 6pm, and 1 before 9pm...or something around those lines.

I try to get in 8 bottles of water per day..and it can be difficult if I don't pace myself. I guarantee once you get it started it will be easier and easier. Good luck!
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I chug a plain glass of water before every meal and snack. Then with the meal I have a flavored water. Crystal light only 5 calories and it makes 16 ounces.