Losing Weight vs. Losing Friends

Options
2»

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    so... i have this exact sentiment but i am on the "other" side and i can honestly say that my support group has actually INCREASED now that i am at maintenance. it's my goal to share my story and to help others do what i have done. so that naturally helps me stay focused....

i will say this, though, i did lose one friend... the scale. :) it got depressing once i no longer had the excitement of that downward trend... and it wasn't SUPPOSED to move anymore... so that was a hurdle. :)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that met her goal. She still logs and exercises daily. Just because you met goal, doesn't mean you don't need support to stay there!! :)
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do understand what your saying. The way I can relate this is....I became sober 21 years ago but I kept going to meetings to maintian my sobriety. The same way with weight loss journey. Just because we "arrive" doesn't mean we need no more help. I think you need even more because a lifestyle change takes time. No quick fixes. I love your question.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you lose their support just because you reached your goal, then their not true friends anyway.
    True MFP friends(and life friends) will be happy for you and support you no matter what.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You won't lose your MFP friends....plus, once you lose all the weight you'll be an inspiration and a cheerleader for those just starting out. :-)

Here here! You role will change to cheer leader rather than being cheered.
  • Funnybunnyboo
    Options
    they are all right, ya know, true friends, mfp or not stick with you through thick and thin..we dont only encourage weight loss on here, but we support each other when things get hard for us in other ways...it has been bleesing and a joy to find this site, and i have found some really inspirational people on here too!!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I feel like I don't get as much support and encouragement as I used to. So I guess I am the only exception.
    Then who did you actually do it for in the end? Yourself? Or to get comments on your profile Sasha? I used to be on your friend list, it TAKES being a friend to have friends & keep friends!:wink: Karma's a *****..

We're our own best cheerleader because we're with us all the time. Paying it forward is a wonderful feeling! Others new to MFP or working toward their goal or at their goal still support but I don't base my actions on if I get kudos for every action I do. That would feel to me like I'm doing it for someone else and attention. The weight dropped won't last if that's the reasoning behind it.

I think supporting friends is important whether they are gaining or losing but I don't know that it should be expected for every move we make. It's always a nice surprise when someone cheers you on but it's not required by friends on MFP. :flowerforyou::heart: I support others with out always using words at times, they simply know I am there for them in any situation.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I started maintaining my loss almost a year ago, and I have gained more friends over this past year than I had before! I don't foresee me leaving this website any time in the near future!
    Same here!!:flowerforyou: