Vegetarian/Vegan Foods

Options
2»

Replies

• Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    While at this point I am not a vegetarian, I do not eat a lot of meat and lean towards vegetarian and vegan foods (it is my preferance). Some vegetarian and vegan proteins I have enjoyed in addition to Morningstar farms products (love the veggie sausages, riblets, crumbles, burgers, etc.) and tofu are the following:

* Beans (cheap and versatile, black beans are my favorite kind and I had kidney beans in my lunch today)
    * Low fat cheese, good as a topping on things if you are not vegan.
    * Eggs if you eat those
    * Lentils are good in soup and in certain dishes.
    * Tempeh, so versatile. I love to cook and season tempeh the way many people would use chicken. Works very well that way and this is a favorite of mine.
    * Boca's crumbles are good in things also and are suitable for vegans and vegetarians.

I hope this helps you out some for starters on getting a variety of proteins regularly.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Tofurky Italian sausages are one of my absolute favorite things too. And my kids actually love them too, which definitely helps! They also sell them at Whole Foods.

Aside from what's already been mentioned, I love Asmar's Vegan "Chicken" Salad. It's a local company (here in the DC metro area) so I don't know how far away they sell their stuff, but it's great!
  • auntbyte
    auntbyte Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've just discovered Morningstar's new "Chicken" patties with tomato and avocado. Delicious!

Ditto their bbq ribs.

And I keep Tofurkey Hickory Smoked Deli slices in my fridge at all times. Great for club salads or sandwiches and at 30 cal each, I can indulge!

Quorn "chicken" patties stuffed with Gruyere cheese make me weak in the knees, but I'm on restriction from them now because of that (amazing) cheese.

If you have a Whole Foods nearby, they have "mock chicken salad" in their deli. It's awesome, but you can make your own with packages of Delight Soy "chicken" nuggets in their freezer case. I make it with Vegenaisse (which I now like better than Kraft Mayo). My carnivore friends eat this up!!

Daiya cheeses are the only vegan cheeses worth buying, in my opinion. They've just come out with "pepper jack". They melt well and get all gooey, like cheese is supposed to.

And Egg Beaters. Again, at 30 cal/serving, it's really good, all loaded up with veggies.

I like a BLT made with Morningstar Farm's bacon. The trick is to make sure it gets crispy; then it's yummy with a big, fat slice of heirloom tomato!

I've stauchly defended my vegetarian lifestyle of 11 years until recent bloodwork told me a quadruple bi-pass is dangerously near (and I have no insurance!) That, plus the fact that I'm extremely obese. So I have to lay off the dairy and eggs (cholesterol). It's why I'm here, soaking up all the great experiences/info that you kind folks have to say. Many thanks!
  • laurstarks
    laurstarks Posts: 35
    Options
    i stopped buying morningstar products because they're not organic and have a ton of chemicals (i like to pronounce what i'm eating). instead, i use quorn products. they're a bit more expensive, but they're all natural. their chicken patties are great, and i love the tenders. i usually throw them in a stirfry, but they're also good in stews and chili. they pretty much take on the flavor of whatever you cook them with, and have a similar consistency to chicken. this is important to me, because i hate the texture of tofu. too rubbery for my tastes.

check them out! :)http://www.quorn.us/About-Us
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Tempeh! It looked so weird to me....but I love it:) Especially the bacon flavored one on sandwhiches!

I love the bacon flavored tempeh!!! I put it in my cheese and tomato sandwiches, so delicious.

Does anyone know if these morningstar products are available in Canada?
  • Fitzgeraldguy
    Options
    My FAVORITE product is Bob's Red Mill "High Protein TVP," it seriously goes with everything.

I was inside a Whole Foods in Los Angeles and they had it with lime, tomatoes, onions, cilantro and jalapenos and it was mind blowing!

By far, the best vegetarian product out there in my opinion. It comes in dry form and you cook it to your dish specifications.

Best.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian as well and continue trying several "meatless" options. I really can't stand tofu but will eat it as long as it's in something where it can soak up flavors of something else. The TVP stuff is nasty!!! I've tried several brands and it makes me want to puke. I also can't stand the Morning Star Farms "crumbles"....I shudder just thinking of them. Most of their veggie burgers, including Boca brand are kinda weird too. However, I really like the MSF spicy black bean burgers. The Yves hotdogs are ok as long as you don't grill them - they stick to the grill. I really like the Quorn products...by far the BEST. And the Gardein crispy tenders are delish!!! But the hot wings are gross. I haven't tried any of their other products yet.

The only problem I can find with any of these products is that they are very high in sodium. I wish they'd find a way to produce them in a low-sodium version. I'm on a quest to start making my own meatless versions of some of my favorite foods but not doing very well. I will not give up!!! LOL!