Any runners training for a half or full marathon?

Options

Replies

• micklepickle61
    Options
    Are you all interested in starting a weekly thread for check in? Or even to share tips?

We have some seasoned runners and some newbies. I think it would be nice to share information about the different races as well. I may help someone select their next race.

Let me know. I think it would be great!

I think a thread dedicated to getting ready for a half marathon or marathon would be great. I would support that.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a hydration belt last night, and it's awesome! Totally helped today... I'll be using it anytime I'm out for over an hour, that's for sure! And the Jelly Belly Sport Beans???? Yummo and helped a ton!!!

Oooh, I just got a hydration belt this week too .. the amphipod. And I've been taking jelly beans with me but the regular kind, lol.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Rofl, a year ago I would have rolled my eyes at a marathon thread thinking, "bleh, crazies ...".
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    Rofl, a year ago I would have rolled my eyes at a marathon thread thinking, "bleh, crazies ...".

And now?
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Congrats to all! I'm training for my second half, it's in August. I'm using this training to prep for a full (hopefully) so I'll peak at 15 miles. Super excited and I love it!

I started running last year at about 185 lbs, I could barely run for 5 mins, but I kept at it and here I am today rarely running less than 20 miles a week.

Keep it up everyone!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I added you as friend, I'm training for my 2nd half (November), and have another one scheduled next February
  • Willibr
    Willibr Posts: 3
    Options
    Don't be afraid of the full marathon, if you have already done a half marathon-you are almost there. In May, I was on #8 half marathon in a two year period, with a full marathon added in there. Won't lie the full marathon takes a lot of committment as far as getting in your training runs, but don't let that distract you. I am a true believer anything over the 13.1 miles is all mental to 26.2.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I've done four marathons, including a sub-four hour time.

My last marathon was in 2006 and since then I have spent a couple of years with injuries (one not related to running) and living a sedentary life and putting on weight. Last year I had to start from scratch with the First Day to 5k run/walk podcasts. Very humbling, but now I know what it is like to take up running when your weight and fitness level aren't ideal.

I'm currently training for a half marathon Oct 2 (Portland, Maine) and if all goes well, I'll run a full marathon in 2012.

Since you already know what distance running is like with 15 mile runs, as long as you follow a good training schedule and remember to cross train and stretch, you will be fine. Make sure you do 2 - 3 runs that are 20 - 22 miles long in your training. I aways say that the marathon beings at mile 20 ..... those last 6.2 miles are really where you see what you are made of. You can do it! :smile:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Disney Princess Half Marathon in Feb. I'm just about to finish c210k and am looking into half marathon iphone apps. I'm a little far out (time wise) for their programs, so I may have to devise my own. :o)
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a half... but don't have one planned yet (not sure of any local to me at the moment.) i've entered the ballot for the London full in 2012, so obviously if I get that i'll be training for the full in April. I also really REALLY want to do the Princess Half next Feb, but can't commit to it just yet as from London it's a long and expensive trip... but I so really want to do it!

I've only actually 'ran' 12 times... (My Nike+ tells me so) and can manage a 10k relatively easy, but I then suffered some pretty bad ligament damage, probably due to over training so i'm trying to approach the whole thing a little more carefully now!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of the full marathon, if you have already done a half marathon-you are almost there. In May, I was on #8 half marathon in a two year period, with a full marathon added in there. Won't lie the full marathon takes a lot of committment as far as getting in your training runs, but don't let that distract you. I am a true believer anything over the 13.1 miles is all mental to 26.2.

I respectfully disagree, no way is it mental. The full is a totally different beast than the half. The big reason is due to glycogen stores (which usually run out after about 2,000 calories of activity). You can totally "muscle" your way through a half even if you are undertrained, but not so with a full. All the mental attitude in the world won't do you any good if you haven't put in the miles for your training.

I'm not posting to discourage anyone, I just think people often rush into fulls too soon.

Just my $.02, based on my 22 marathons and 30+ halfs.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I'm training for the ironman which has a marathon for the third part of the race. It's going to be tough! Good luck!!
  • aabyrer
    aabyrer Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm doing my 4th half marathon in October and will be training for my first full marathon in April later this year! SO excited that I'm finally going to commit to it...
  • Cheshirecat913
    Options
    Hey runners!
    I'm training for a few half marathons and then a full marathon. This will be my 5th half marathon (actually it's going to be 14.2--they added an extra mile for fun) in September, another in October. I'm going for my second full in January--the same one I ran two years ago. Then I'm helping some newer runners run their 1st half marathon at the end of April in Nashville.

So this summer I'm happily training away. I love half marathons-they are the perfect the length for me. A full is a whole different animal and I just had to try it again.

I totally agree with what you said! Those last 6.2 miles were tough, I'm amazed how far I dug down to cross that line.
    I aways say that the marathon beings at mile 20 ..... those last 6.2 miles are really where you see what you are made of. You can do it! :smile:
  • freedomplease
    Options
    I'm training for the ironman which has a marathon for the third part of the race. It's going to be tough! Good luck!!

really? That is awesome. What does your training schedule look like? What made you decide to train for a ironman?
  • freedomplease
    Options
    I attended my first run with the Jeff Galloway group in my area. I plan to run with them every Saturday for my long runs.

* What made you all decide to start running?
    * 4For veterans include a few tips for new runners.
    * For new runners what would you like to know from the veterans?

Thanks for reading. Thanks for posting.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    It's one of the fears I decided to confront by my 33rd birthday.
    Not quite a veteran yet, but Chi Running is my best discovery so far (even better than support stockings, lol).
  • ineednapkin
    ineednapkin Posts: 151
    Options
    I am running the AF marathon in September :D
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the New York marathon in November. It will be my second (Marine Corps 2009).

I joined the cross country team in junior high, mostly as a joke (didn't really have the build). I've been running ever since, much more seriously in the past two years.

Sign up for races at a variety of distances. Its useful preparation for more important races, and it provides lots of extra motivation during the long progression up to the marathon distance.
    * For new runners what would you like to know from the veterans?

Anyone have any tips for pushing back the glycogen depletion wall? It hit me hard at mile 25 my first time (limped across the finish line). This time I built up my base mileage more before starting and I plan on doing three 20-mile long runs. Any other suggestions?

Good luck and have fun, everyone!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I've run a marathon before, but I like ultramarathons now. You can do it! You have alot more experience than the average person who runs a marathon for the first time.