State Obesity Rates

Options
In 1995, no state had an obesity rate above 20 percent. Now, all but one does.

Chart showing all the states obesity rates for adults and children from 2010. http://healthyamericans.org/reports/obesity2010/

Mississippi is number one for both adults and children. Colorado has the lowest for adults and Oregon has the lowest for children.

No state decreased its level of obesity, which is defined as a body mass index of 30 or more. The body mass index is a measurement based on weight and height.

The good news is sixteen states reported increases in their obesity rates, down from 28 states that reported increases last year.

How does your state rank and do you think where you live has a big impact on your weight?

Replies

• ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado, a state that has sun nearly every day during the year. There are also so many outdoor things to do here, and most people are health-conscious. (Except where I live, but that's a whole other story...). I am trying to take advantage of what this state has to offer and get out more!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    We were number 12.....I would love to say GO TEXAS!!!! but I just can't in this case. I definitely do think that it affects things, I'm sure it's easier to find healthier restaurants in California or NYC, but the grocery stores still sell healthy stuff so it's up to me to learn how to do that whole cooking thing and not use our fatty eateries as a crutch.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    LOLOL, OH Texas. Too much porkchops. ;D
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I'm from Minnesota. It sucks that we have terrible weather (meaning SNOW!) the majority of the time, but I just go to the gym. In the summer, it's great that we can take advantage of the outdoors and go on walks and biking, even though I prefer to work out indoors.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm in Nebraska we're towards the bottom - we have maybe 4 weeks a year where it isn't really cold or really hot/humid.

I prefer to do my walk/jogging outside so it's a struggle. I have a treadmill but I kind of dread those days. I count the minutes til I'm done.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    The Bible Belt is expanding.....
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yay, 17th!

Go Indiana!!!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's easier to find healthier restaurants in California or NYC, but the grocery stores still sell healthy stuff so it's up to me to learn how to do that whole cooking thing and not use our fatty eateries as a crutch.

I think that is the key. It might be easier in other places but still up to us not to use that as a crutch.
    I'm from Minnesota. It sucks that we have terrible weather (meaning SNOW!) the majority of the time, but I just go to the gym. In the summer, it's great that we can take advantage of the outdoors and go on walks and biking, even though I prefer to work out indoors.

I'm just the opposite here in NM. It's so hot in the summer I just stay inside. Cabin fever to me means it's summer. Winter time comes and I'm ready to get out! But for most people we have great weather year round for outdoor activities.
  • AshDHart
    Options
    The Bible Belt is expanding.....

The need a few new notches in that belt.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Don't know how Pennsylvania is ranked, but I did my part I went from a 41.9 to 28.2 .................!!!!!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    MS is so high b/c the food is good and there is nothing to do. Plus it is one of the poorest states with the worst education rating. I know b/c LA where I live isn't far behind and those are the same reasons.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    This is just another indication that we need better nutrition education in this country for parents and children alike.

It breaks my heart seeing kids so large they can barely walk.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    California ranked 41st. Not too bad.
    Could be because of all the models and actors in SoCal trying to keep up with the industry standards!!
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am guessing they monitor this by getting weight from doctors? If so this number has to be even higher because many people do not regularly go to the doctors.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Idaho is 36th! Suprised we're even that high honestly. I don't know where we're hiding our fat people... I only seem to see the fit ones around.
  • AshDHart
    Options
    I am guessing they monitor this by getting weight from doctors? If so this number has to be even higher because many people do not regularly go to the doctors.

BRFSS is an annual cross-sectional survey designed to measure behavioral risk factors in the adult population (18 years of age or older) living in households. Data are collected from a random sample of adults (one per household) through a telephone survey.

If they are using self reporting I would think this is low. Think how many of us lied on our drivers license or just flat didn't realize we weigh 40lbs more than we think we did. Full details on collecting the info http://healthyamericans.org/reports/obesity2010/Obesity2010Report.pdf Starts at page 108.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I moved to Colorado from Kentucky 14 years ago. When I first moved here, *no one* was overweight at all and everyone was active. I couldn't believe all the bike trails and rec centers around here. Now, people are still just as active, but I've noticed more overweight people here. Of course, being born and raised in KY, I thought these people were nuts at first!:laugh: Now, I totally get it!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    California ranked 41st. Not too bad.
    Could be because of all the models and actors in SoCal trying to keep up with the industry standards!!

The weather is also awesome here. I just moved here from Texas to San Francisco and it is so much easier to be active and do things outside when it isnt 100 degrees outside all the time.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Yeah, we're #2! Alabama is one of 8 states with an overall obesity rate of more than 30%, and among African Americans here it is more than 40%. The only thing worse than the awful adult obesity rate is the fact that almost 18% of kids are already obese. Pretty sad but not at all unexpected.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    OY- Alabama #2. I should get all my chunky alabamian friends to move to colorado so we can mess up next years numbers. j/k