State Obesity Rates

Options

Replies

• Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we're #2! Alabama is one of 8 states with an overall obesity rate of more than 30%,

We're not fat we are swollen from the humidity:laugh:
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    OY- Alabama #2. I should get all my chunky alabamian friends to move to colorado so we can mess up next years numbers. j/k

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Yeah, we're #2! Alabama is one of 8 states with an overall obesity rate of more than 30%,

We're not fat we are swollen from the humidity:laugh:

Oh that's a good one!
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Wow again. I read in the paper this morning that Alabama leads the nation in Diabetes rate. What great categories to lead the nation: #2 in obesity and #1 in diabetes.

Sadly the more important thing to the vast majority of people here is that we hold the last two BCS titles.
  • AshDHart
    Options
    Wow again. I read in the paper this morning that Alabama leads the nation in Diabetes rate. What great categories to lead the nation: #2 in obesity and #1 in diabetes.

Sadly the more important thing to the vast majority of people here is that we hold the last two BCS titles.

Not surprised that Alabama is high in diabetes. It seems the two would go together. I wonder about other things like heart attacks...
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    In 1995, no state had an obesity rate above 20 percent. Now, all but one does.
    Kind of scary when you put it that way. How does this happen in such a large scale?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Kind of scary when you put it that way. How does this happen in such a large scale?

I guess a lot of overweight people got a little fatter. If we put on an average of about 1 lb a year it doesn't take many years for all the overweight ppl who aren't worried about their weight to tip the balance yet further in favour of obesity.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Utah, among the 10 lowest. :)

What I find more frightening than the increase in obesity among U.S. adults is the increase in childhood obesity. It has more than tripled! (In the last 30 years, I believe). I don't think of my kids as "skinny," they are active, healthy kids with good appetites and who have been taught to go for apples and broccoli rather than candy and chips . But most pants fall right off their hips unless they have a belt or we go with "slim." Considering all the health risks associated with childhood obesity, I am scared for our next generation.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This is just another indication that we need better nutrition education in this country for parents and children alike.

It breaks my heart seeing kids so large they can barely walk.
    I totally agree it is so sad to see how unhealthy our country is getting and it doesnt seem to be getting any better.
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin is ranked 25th. Right in the middle. Lets hope its lower next year!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!!! Colorado!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Another Coloradan here. The weather and proximity to the mountains are GREAT. My goal this summer is one mountain bike ride a week!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

I guess a lot of overweight people got a little fatter. If we put on an average of about 1 lb a year it doesn't take many years for all the overweight ppl who aren't worried about their weight to tip the balance yet further in favour of obesity.
    If that's all there is, it shouldn't lead to a significant overall increase; it should have happened to the previous generations as well.

I'm not looking for excuses to undermine personal responsibility, but this is an interesting social phenomenon and has got to have some explanation behind it.
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Colorado! Although, really 19.whatever percent is still not really something to be proud of, that's still basically 1 in 5! And I really wonder what the overweight % is as well. That being said our 300+ days of sunshine, trails, mountains, and oodles of outdoor nuts certainly don't hurt the motivation :smile:
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    Options

If that's all there is, it shouldn't lead to a significant overall increase; it should have happened to the previous generations as well.

I'm not looking for excuses to undermine personal responsibility, but this is an interesting social phenomenon and has got to have some explanation behind it.

Didn't the BMI scale change in late 90's?
  • AshDHart
    Options
    Didn't the BMI scale change in late 90's?

In 1998, the U.S. National Institutes of Health brought U.S. definitions into line with World Health Organization guidelines, lowering the normal/overweight cut-off from BMI 27.8 to BMI 25. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index#International_variations
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm in south Louisiana (ranked #5) and yummy high-calorie foods (and booze) is part of our Cajun culture. I'm not surprised at all. My husband and I lost weight without trying (10 years ago) when we moved away from his mom who is an exceptional cook of all those amazing Cajun dishes!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Uhhhhh..... I'm in the second most obese in the country. Let me just say.. I AM NOT A STATISTIC! hallelujah!!!! ...TN btw heh. Land of the fried.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    I'm in south Louisiana (ranked #5) and yummy high-calorie foods (and booze) is part of our Cajun culture. I'm not surprised at all. My husband and I lost weight without trying (10 years ago) when we moved away from his mom who is an exceptional cook of all those amazing Cajun dishes!
    omg i love me some cajun food. i grew up in LA from the time i was one till i was 12.
  • AshDHart
    Options
    I wonder how many people had nutritional education in school. Do they still teach it?

All I can recall is covering what a calorie is and doing a test to see how many had been in the item we had been testing plus we covered the food pyramid that was in at the moment. Of course, in home ec we had 6 weeks of cooking and we had to make healthy meals but I don't remember learning how to make those decisions. It was more "Here is what we are cooking this week."

And PE? Heck, by middle school it was one semester a year.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It's no wonder that children are being overweight. School food is just terrible! Most of it is processed food that comes pre made or frozen. The schools simply heat it up and serve it.
    Have any of you seen Jamie Oliver's show "Food Revolution"? It's a real eye-opener!