What do you do with zucchini?

Options
stc74
stc74 Posts: 297 Member
It"s that time of year. Zucchini everywhere. You find it on the porch when you come home. The neighbors are afraid you will say no so they just leave it!

I've cubed it with new potatoes and roasted it with salt, pepper and garlic.

What else? I grew up with it being breaded and fried or made into "bread". Both are too high cal, so any ideas?

Replies

• nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    you should try it on the grill, tastes yummy!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    throw it in a pan with onion, garlic and whatever veggies you've got on hand, cook up some brown rice (or pasta if you can have it...how i miss angel hair pasta) and it will be delicious....
  • DanaKinzer
    DanaKinzer Posts: 72
    Options
    I've always just sliced it up and eaten it! When the kids were little, I'd cut up those and squashes and we called them vegetable cookies.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Grilled is yummy and stir fry is great too. Steamed is also great!

Zucchini is also very good raw!

Enjoy!
  • solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Grill those bad boys!!!!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Leave it at the store? Ick!
  • JezebelGL
    JezebelGL Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mix it with some squash, cherry tomatoes, parmesan and quinoa pasta, for a nice and fresh pasta primavera. Yum!
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I slice it thin and saute it in olive oil with chopped bell peppers and onions Yummy
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Grill it, zucchini bread, add it to stir fry
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You can do lovely stir frys with it and you can add all kinds of veg with it.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've always just sliced it up and eaten it! When the kids were little, I'd cut up those and squashes and we called them vegetable cookies.

I would recommend hummus frosting, and perhaps paprika sprinkles.
  • mizzsolero
    mizzsolero Posts: 47
    Options
    Mix it with some squash, cherry tomatoes, parmesan and quinoa pasta, for a nice and fresh pasta primavera. Yum!

jup very jum! i love it
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it sauteed in a pan plain with mushrooms. mmmmmmmm! The mushrooms add a perfect flavor to it.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I like it cooked and whatever you do with a mushroom or a pepper you can do with a zucchini.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I put my in the oven for about 7 mins with some squash brush with olive oil some garlic pepper and lemon juice wowsers good!
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I like to slice it raw and add to a salad, like cucumbers.
  • thebuxompilgrim
    thebuxompilgrim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    We make (our favorite) Zucchini, Bacon, Blue Cheese soup! Soooo delicious but not exactly, um, lo-cal. :) Hearty and delicious, though, makes a solid meal...probably could be modified to be healthier. Happy to pass on the recipe if you want it. :)
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I add zucchini to my meatloaf. My kids don't care for it, so it gives me a way to add an extra veggie to their meal.
  • Tluvspitt
    Tluvspitt Posts: 7
    Options
    The quinoa idea is great...I just bought some for the first time today and have been trying to come up with some ideas for its use.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Slice them toss them in olive oil and garlic, sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese and layer on a baking tray - bake them until they just start to get a little brown/crispy. MMMMmmmm!! Sooo good!