What do you do with zucchini?

Options

Replies

• Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Carrot and courgette/zucchini muffins. Yum. Even the kids like them.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My most recent thing that I did was cut it in 1/2 inch slices and threw them in a pot of pasta sauce. Once they are tender, they taste like the sauce. It was quite yummy. With a cup of pasta and the entire zuchini, along with a salad, the meal is pretty decent on cals.
  • thebuxompilgrim
    thebuxompilgrim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I also slice it up and throw it, along with some bell peppers and onions, into scrambled eggs. Great way to to get a hearty dose of veggies in, first thing in the morning. :)
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Leave it at the store? Ick!

LOL, I've never heard of anyone PAYING for a zucchini...in my neighborhood growing up they literally WERE left on people's doorsteps - and they were usually the size of footballs!

On the plus side, one zucchini that size makes about 4 loaves of zucchini bread...YUM.
  • luvmykid28
    luvmykid28 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Where do you people live that the zucchini god's have blessed you so?! I want to move in!
  • acarter86
    acarter86 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dorairwin
    dorairwin Posts: 210
    Options
    Grill/bake it in the oven add some Olive oil Yummy ..
  • trispire
    trispire Posts: 70
    Options
    I shred it and add it to lean ground turkey with some reduced fat cheddar and red onion and make that into turkey burger pattys and grill em up!
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    i put it in my meatloaf.
    cut it up thick and sprinkle it with parmesean cheese and bake it.
    shred it and use it in a slaw with yellow squash (however you do that ihave no idea, it just sounded good) :D
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    Slice it up and eat it raw. Yum!!
  • dilleight
    dilleight Posts: 50
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3623/courgette-fritters-with-tomato-and-feta-salsa
    I make it about 180 calories for half the recipe just the fritters if you use spray oil.
  • Danita_1973
    Danita_1973 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use it, along with mushrooms & spinach, to make vegetable lasagna. Just use your favorite lasanga recipe and use the veggies in place of the meat.
  • aprilmwilson
    aprilmwilson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Chips:

Slice into 1/4 inch slices
    Dip in skim milk and then into reduced fat bread crumbs
    Sprinkle with a bit of parmesan
    bake on 400 ( I use a vented pizza pan so I don't have to flip them; but otherwise I would turn them over after about 5 minutes) until brown and crispy on the edges
    Serve with Marinara for dipping

My husband and I LOVE these and it is an easy way to get my four year old to eat her veggies.
    Enjoy!
  • DTharp12
    DTharp12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Where do you people live that the zucchini god's have blessed you so?! I want to move in!

Zuchinni/squash are possibly the easiest veggie to grow. The only problem is the size of the plant and keeping the thing picked (the plant will stop putting on if you leave the fruit to get too pick). Here is western Kentucky they get out of hand quick about this time of year.
  • Whatnow50
    Whatnow50 Posts: 93
    Options
    oh I love zucchini! sauteed with onion then add to scrambled eggs, chopped into red sauce then add whole grain noodles, chopped small into country meatloaf, grilled... it's almost no calories and so yummy.... use it! Adds nice bulk and crunch to almost everything.
  • K3llyhunt
    K3llyhunt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I dice mine up and add it to spaghetti sauce. Also if you cut it length wise and hollow it out you can add browned ground turkey and parm cheese bake until soft. So good.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Here in Missouri (and I'm sure other places too) zucchini and many other fruits/ vegis get left on your porch from neighbors who have overflow. I didn't get a garden in this year (very wet spring, just wasn't free on a dry day to get the tiling done), so I'm really hoping someone will leave me some jalapenos! I miss having them fresh.

I know what to do with them, calories be darned, stuff them with cream cheese, sharp cheddar and bread them and bake 'em up!! Anyone in MO have some??? lol
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I shred it and add it to lean ground turkey with some reduced fat cheddar and red onion and make that into turkey burger pattys and grill em up!

that sounds goooood!! used the last of the turkey today so I'll have to get some for this
  • MsNiss
    MsNiss Posts: 57
    Options
    I love to grill it on the bbq, then let it marinate in some balsamic vinegar for a while. Then I'll just add those to burgers, sandwiches ect. Yum!