Why am I not losing weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi, are you saying you should eaat at least the 1200? I can't lose anything in 3 weeks, tracking, eating some junk food, but never going over 1200 and usually under and exercising and raarely use the exercise calories, any tips?

Eat more. Seriously. Also, look to clean up your diet. Look to incorporate chicken, eggs, protein shakes or bars. Food is fuel. If you don't eat enough, then you slow your metabolism which prevents weight loss. Look at my previous post and it might help out. If you want to know more, send me a private message or search around. This is asked several times a day.

Lemon
  • kaitlinmre
    kaitlinmre Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Alright, I guess I'll add more cardio. :]
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Also don't take the "if you ate like this everyday you'd weigh ___________ in 5 weeks".. I've found from reading on here it is not accurate for a lot of people. I like seeing that low number but know it is not always realistic.

i know this is right.. mine has never been right.. not even once!

I agree with this as well. Mine isn't correct, but it helps me stay motivated with the working out and eating healthy.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    So how does one become skinny fat? Maybe my perceptions are warped, but I'd rather look like that girl than Jillian Michaels.

My eyes see an already slim woman in your avatar.
    Perhaps your perceptions ARE off?
  • kaitlinmre
    Options
    So how does one become skinny fat? Maybe my perceptions are warped, but I'd rather look like that girl than Jillian Michaels.

My eyes see an already slim woman in your avatar.
    Perhaps your perceptions ARE off?

My stomach isn't slim by any means, and my general body shape isn't nearly as svelte as that girl.
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think you are like me and dont really see yourself as others do. I find that with myself at least. If I were you ( and I know you will do what you want anyways) :) I would just work out regularly now and continue to eat healthy. You look as though you are at the perfect weight for your body and your stomach look great! Now its all about maintaining! Good job and keep up the hard work!
  • kaitlinmre
    Options
    That's not my stomach in the ticker.. haha
  • psuLemon
    Options
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php

http://www.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart3.jpg

Try these to see if your current weight goal is unrealistic. This is why I stress, there is a point where you should worry way more about body composition than fat (well actually, no matter what you weigh, I believe you should do that) but these charts can help lay that out even more.

Also, I am sure if you showed a picture of your mid section, you would think it's a lot bigger than it really is. Especially with women (or at least with my experience) you tend to be more critical of your body than most men and tend to think you are heavier/bigger than you are.
  • greej
    greej Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I follow undressedskeleton, and she's stated that the first 80 pounds or so came off in a year ... then she spent the next six months working on the last 20. Also, I think she must have a veeeeeeery light frame, because she's 5'9" at 115 pounds. She looks very thin, but to me not emaciated (some of the pictures in the before and after shots DO, but she's said that she went down to an unhealthy weight before building back up to a healthy one).
  • kaitlinmre
    Options
    Blegh. I just want to look like that!
  • melindalamb
    Options
    You could be losing inches instead of weight. I was like that for about a month. I was working out like crazy and eating well. I decided to switch up my exercise routine and in one week, I went from 143 to 137.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

A) you may have unreasonable expectations on what healthy looks like on your body
    B) you may not be eating enough to sustain an active metabolism
  • psuLemon
    Options

A) you may have unreasonable expectations on what healthy looks like on your body
    B) you may not be eating enough to sustain an active metabolism

c) you may have an unrealistic self image.

Kaitlyn, you will never look like her, do you know why, because you don't have her genetics. Everyone looks different as everyone has a different frame and different attributes that make you.. you! You are in a healthy weight for your frame. Your body fat is good and is considered althetic. I would try not to stress it too much. Get your calorie intake up since you workout 6 days a week and change body fat into muscle.
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Same here I have 7 lbs to lose and can't, if you get any great tips please pass on to me...desperate.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Same here I have 7 lbs to lose and can't, if you get any great tips please pass on to me...desperate.

Here are some threads that has some information that can help. You migth be eating too little (which is generally the case) or we might just need to adjust your ratio of carbs/protein/fat.

But there could be several things it could be. Diet/exercise/even your goals (whether it's realistic to your body), etc... If you can open up your food diary, then we can look.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/283663-not-losing-weight-you-re-asking-the-wrong-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/282320-caloric-intake-body-fat