Not losing weight? You're asking the wrong questions!

Options
I see lots and lots of people on MFP that have some kind of variation on the theme:

"I'm eating what MFP tells me to eat, I've tried eating back my exercise calories, not eating back my exercise calories, raising my calories, lowering my calories, exercising more, exercising less, eating clean, adding XXX supplement, but I'm still not losing the weight....HELP!"

sound familiar?

Well, I have news for you, it's not as simple as saying "I want to lose 2 lbs a week, so that's the goal I'll set" and having it work like a charm. Sorry folks, that's not how weight loss works.

When people set a goal and fail to lose the weight on that goal, ALMOST WITHOUT EXCEPTION (assuming you are following the MFP model and eating exercise calories) it's because they did 1 of 3 things, 1) they didn't set the correct goal for the situation they are in. 2) they are calculating their calories incorrectly (either exercise calories or the nutritional intake) or 3) they have something medically going on that is inhibiting their weight loss.

That being said, for the overwhelming majority of people who have this issue, number 1 is the answer. For a smaller minority number 2 is the answer, and for a TINY tiny minority number 3 is the answer.

What does this mean? Setting your goals correctly? It means looking realistically where your weight is, how much of that weight is lean tissue and how much is body fat, and figuring out a reasonable deficit based on that, and your lifestyle, and how much change you are willing to endure.

If you are a woman who's in her 30's and want to lose 15 lbs, you CANNOT expect your body to respond to a 2 lb per week weight loss (or even 1 lb per week), these are the equivalent of a crash diet, and really, MFP won't help you there.

Seriously guys, research and knowledge are key, don't just wade in and try to lose 2 lbs, blithely trusting MFP to give you all the answers, that's not how this works. MFP is a tool, like a rake or a shovel, YOU still need to know how to use it, and use it correctly. You wouldn't use a rake to mow your lawn, in the same spirit, not all tools are right for all functions, MFP is great for tracking calories, and support, but if you try to use it as a crash diet medium, it's an utter fail IMHO.

anyway, I hope some folks listen to this, it's mega, super, 100% paramount important to know what you are doing, otherwise frustration and failure lies ahead.

Oh, and the search link at the top works guys, questions on the forums are fine, but please, try to find the answers first, because I can almost guarantee you that if it's a calorie question, it's been asked and answered on here already, no need to re-ask it. (sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine since I'm a database admin for work).

feel free to ask questions if you have them, on this thread is fine, but you can PM me if you like, I'm more than happy to help.

-Banks

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Banks. :smile:
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    good advice - can we get this to be a "sticky" post?!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Another Banks Gem.
    Saving to link back to it later. :flowerforyou:
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Banks. :smile:

Me too...straight forward no BS'in
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I'm #2? I go by the MFP defaults for my workout cals burned and I hear they are not always accurate?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Excellent post
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Bumpy McBump!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree. Regarding #2 of your post, I think the best thing anyone could do is go out an get yourself an electronic food scale and USE it religously. I got a 20 dollar Biggest Loser scale and it works fantastic. I really underestimated how much I was eating and the funny thing is, I was way overestimating the amount of butter (I know, I know) I was using. I think a scale will really open your eyes to what constitute a portion size. Also get yourself an HRM. Without knowing for sure what you are burning calorie wise, you are at the mercy of whatever MFP has in their database and that is not always correct (at least for me).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I'm #2? I go by the MFP defaults for my workout cals burned and I hear they are not always accurate?

Yes that would be you then, do you measure your food properly by volume and/or weight? as that is the other side of the equation.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

correction, they are very rarely accurate.
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Definitely Well said and so true. Every body processes things differently. I cut out the frozen meals from all the sodium and started eating eggs in the morning for more protein and I started dropping weight again.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree. Regarding #2 of your post, I think the best thing anyone could do is go out an get yourself an electronic food scale and USE it religously. I got a 20 dollar Biggest Loser scale and it works fantastic. I really underestimated how much I was eating and the funny thing is, I was way overestimating the amount of butter (I know, I know) I was using. I think a scale will really open your eyes to what constitute a portion size.

hey, I have no beef with butter in moderation, really, there are very few foods I have a problem with, it's portion sizes and frequency I have issue with most times. I.E. 1 serving of butter really won't be an issue, but 1 serving of butter on 3 different foods at one meal, well, that's a different story, likewise, 1 twinkie 1 time every 2 weeks isn't a big deal, but a twinkie a day, every day for a month, now that's a recipe for disaster.

I completely agree with the scale idea by the way. I don't even need it any more, I have used it so long now that I know by heart how much food is a serving, but every couple of weeks or so I'll measure something out just to make sure I'm not creeping up on portions (it happens sometimes, not usually, but sometimes).
  • SummerLuvR
    SummerLuvR Posts: 90
    Options

WHen I got my HRM, it showed calories burned WAY LOWER ( almost half sometimes) than MFP! That could be it :)
  • KayronM
    KayronM Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Very, Very Well Said
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was # 1 forsure. I had to get real to myself. I found the more weight I loss the more I had to change things around. I found the right number for me and told myself to relax and just do it! So far its been working for me.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options

WHen I got my HRM, it showed calories burned WAY LOWER ( almost half sometimes) than MFP! That could be it :)

Guess I better be getting a HRM and food scale then! There is some kind of deal going on at the gym with Polar (I think) HRMs... never used one before. So it shows calories burned based on your heart beat?
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

This is because, it is what an average person would burn but things like lean muscle mass and how hard you push it can affect it. The more muscle, the more calories you will burn. The HRM is the best decision you could have made. In fact, I dont' even track my exercise proints on here, I just factor them in my total daily energy expended.

This thread rocks!