Not losing weight? You're asking the wrong questions!

Options

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I'm #2? I go by the MFP defaults for my workout cals burned and I hear they are not always accurate?

WHen I got my HRM, it showed calories burned WAY LOWER ( almost half sometimes) than MFP! That could be it :)

Guess I better be getting a HRM and food scale then! There is some kind of deal going on at the gym with Polar (I think) HRMs... never used one before. So it shows calories burned based on your heart beat?

It bases your calorie burn based on age, height, weight, gender, and uses HR to calculate intensity, put it all together and the HRM uses a calculation to give you a pretty accurate estimate of calories burned during activity.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree. Regarding #2 of your post, I think the best thing anyone could do is go out an get yourself an electronic food scale and USE it religously. I got a 20 dollar Biggest Loser scale and it works fantastic. I really underestimated how much I was eating and the funny thing is, I was way overestimating the amount of butter (I know, I know) I was using. I think a scale will really open your eyes to what constitute a portion size. Also get yourself an HRM. Without knowing for sure what you are burning calorie wise, you are at the mercy of whatever MFP has in their database and that is not always correct (at least for me).

I don't even believe my HRM in terms of calorie burn!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I'm #2? I go by the MFP defaults for my workout cals burned and I hear they are not always accurate?

WHen I got my HRM, it showed calories burned WAY LOWER ( almost half sometimes) than MFP! That could be it :)

just be aware, even an HRM will have a relatively significant error margin, depending on the HRM, and the settings you give it, you are talking anywhere from a 5% (doubt it will be that low, but it's possible if you put VO2 max in correctly) to 20% margin for error, and also don't forget to check with the manufacturer to see whether they remove Resting calories from the calorie burn, every company is different in that respect.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Excellent...I agree 100% with every single point!!
  • megpegmeg
    megpegmeg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Why can't a women in her 30s lose 2 pounds a week? I'm truly curious. I'm now 31 and this is the first time I have struggled to lose weight. Before in my 20s I could drop 2 pounds a week without a problem. Now that I've hit 31 I can't. I'm lucky if I can get half a pound a week even though I am working out just as hard as I did in my 20s. Anybody have any ideas?
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    and also don't forget to check with the manufacturer to see whether they remove Resting calories from the calorie burn, every company is different in that respect.
    I subtract my resting calories but that is a whole 'nother can of worms.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I seem to be the only person, however, whose HRM gives them about twice what MFP does in terms of burn. Weird, no?
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Putting in my link reference pile. Well said, again.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Very well-written and helpful post. Thank you for taking the time for always being so informative and helpful in the forums. :)
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Why can't a women in her 30s lose 2 pounds a week? I'm truly curious. I'm now 31 and this is the first time I have struggled to lose weight. Before in my 20s I could drop 2 pounds a week without a problem. Now that I've hit 31 I can't. I'm lucky if I can get half a pound a week even though I am working out just as hard as I did in my 20s. Anybody have any ideas?

It's not about a woman in her 30's particularly, it's a woman in her 30's with 15 POUNDS TO LOSE. That last part is very significant, and in reality, you could say it about someone at almost any age or gender. It's the body fat % that will usually dictate how much weight per week you can lose. I.E. in general a woman in her 30's with 15 lbs to lose probably has between 20 and 30% body fat, that's a big margin, someone with 20% body fat (a woman) can't expect to lose much more than 1/2 lb a week at most, where a woman with 30% body fat could reasonably expect 1 and 1/2 lbs a week. It's all about how much energy your body can liberate at any one time to make up the deficit.
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Okay i feel i am in category number 1 but my problem isnt settign my goals wrong or that sort of thing, i cant get my scale to move unless its up. I exercise, daily, but i dont always eat my calories! i eat good food just not enough of it and i know yeah i know my body is in starvation mode but come on now, starving people lose weight at some point in time, when is my body gonna kick in? and i know there are some of you who are gonna say starving isnt the right way well right now i just want this scale to go down, i will worry about the hair loss and all that at another time!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Banks, could a #4 be added to your info regarding someone that has under eaten (900 cals/day while burning 400) over time, that they may have slowed their metabolism down and therefore will not lose at the rate chosen by MFP for that reason?
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

It's not about a woman in her 30's particularly, it's a woman in her 30's with 15 POUNDS TO LOSE. That last part is very significant, and in reality, you could say it about someone at almost any age or gender. It's the body fat % that will usually dictate how much weight per week you can lose. I.E. in general a woman in her 30's with 15 lbs to lose probably has between 20 and 30% body fat, that's a big margin, someone with 20% body fat (a woman) can't expect to lose much more than 1/2 lb a week at most, where a woman with 30% body fat could reasonably expect 1 and 1/2 lbs a week. It's all about how much energy your body can liberate at any one time to make up the deficit.

And let's say you're a woman with 20% bodyfat - you may want to evaluate your goals and say - SHOULD I keep my weight loss goal where it is or focus more on body fat percentage and composition?
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

What you do in your 20s (as a woman) will not work in your 30s. This is speaking from experience. Also, I've read that it has a lot to do with changing hormones and both bone and muscle loss that begins for women in their 30s. That's why weight-bearing exercise and strength training is so important for women in their 30s and beyond. A 30-something female body is way different than a 20-something one.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post. Well explained!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Banks, could a #4 be added to your info regarding someone that has under eaten (900 cals/day while burning 400) over time, that they may have slowed their metabolism down and therefore will not lose at the rate chosen by MFP for that reason?

I would (I should) but then I'd be violating my own pet peeve rule about re-posting since we've already covered that ad-nauseam. :tongue:
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bump!!