Subway! Is subway really healthy?

Options
BEERRUNNER
BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
Hello awesome people of MFP! I m asking because I just inhaled a footlong Italian bmt with lite mayo and American cheese and ALL the greens!!!.
Im just wondering if it is healthy or did I just gobble up my whole days caloric intake ont hat bad boy!?!?!?!?!?!

Shake and bake!

Replies

• aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    u can look up the stats on their website for all their sandwiches, but i personally dont find it that healthy and its loaded with sodium!
  • cm40
    cm40 Posts: 30
    Options
    The rule is always moderation
    and a foot of bread may not be so good for you.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from Subway the sodium along will kill you!
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I get Subway now and again. Usually a turkey breast with veggies, light mayo on whole wheat. The calorie count isn't too bad for it, but HOLY COW the sodium is through the roof. Once I started tracking my sodium, I stopped eating at Subway as much.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    not particularly, no.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Tons of calories and sodium.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I agree. Their sandwiches are chock full of sodium. It's scary that you can eat a sandwich there and get your daily limit of sodium! I believe the sodium comes from the meat, but the bread is high calorie too.

I used to work at Subway when I was a teenager in high school. I know they aren't always all that clean. Last year, I got really sick after eating a sandwich there so I said good bye to Subway!
  • Jenny56dreams
    Jenny56dreams Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from Subway the sodium along will kill you!

I agree completely! And stay away from those sauces they put on the sandwiches too.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    eek! Check the stats... there are better choices there than the Italian BMT (high sodium, high fat meats) and depending on the bread you chose... you probably had a good amount of carbs, sugar, and sodium just in the bread. The cheese... honestly, do you even taste the cheese on the sandwich? I personally don't think it adds anything to the flavor profile so I nix it and save those calories.

Subway.com has the nutritionals. Subway can be good in moderation and depending on your choices... but not everything on the menu is good for you...
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    IT's not as unhealthy as other choices, but the others are right, the meats in the italian flavor are all very high in sodium. Turkey or chicken would be a *better* choice. Less bread would be better still.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Sorry, that was probably not a great choice.

Foot long Italian BMT

900 calories
    360 calories from fat
    38 grams of fat
    16 grams of sat. fat
    2,880 mg of sodium (more than your entire day's worth)

Next time, veggie delite without cheese, or turkey / ham, no cheese, bunch of veggies..and get a 6 inch on wheat bread.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    yours is probably pretty bad LOL. cheese, mayo, foot long.. you get the point. you can get lower stuff there, but as one other said, the sodium is kind of high.
  • mnmluvr
    mnmluvr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it was an ad for Lean Cuisine that said " A footlong of anything is too much." I kinda have to agree, even though it's within your daily calories.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Their sodium is off the chart. They're supposed to be reducing it soon though, it'll still be pretty high unfortunately. I always go for a footlong veggie on wheat with no cheese. Works for me because I love veggies and I know I'll get a few bites of my boyfriends bmt haha.
  • curliefrii
    curliefrii Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As far as fast food goes.... it's better than having a big mac and fries. Some of their subs are obviously healthier than others. I usually get chicken breast w/o any mayo, loads of veggies, on whole wheat, and it's alright.
  • carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    Options
    according to the MFP food database a foot long italian BMT has ~900 cals..the light mayo and cheese are extra
    subway is decieving because the only pretty healthy options for sandwiches are the 6g of fat or less hoagies in the 6'' size..the rest of their sandwiches tend to be pretty caloric
  • upinthecosmos
    upinthecosmos Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You're looking at 900 calories or more for that sandwich. You can check their site for the specifics & while they are a healthier choice when eating out it really all depends on what it is you order. To get the healthier side you have to stick to a 6 inch & get chicken, turkey or just veggies. You also want to go with the wheat bread or the multi-grain one which is a little more on the calories & sodium but has a little more fiber.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I heard even that the vegetables are loaded with sodium.

But of course, still I think its healthier than a cheeseburger... just not so good for calorie counting!
  • JanieKelley
    JanieKelley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's healthier than any other fast food place but I suggest eating the turkey or chicken. Leave off the mayo and cheese.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I only do 6"...a footlong of bread/meat/cheese is INSANE amounts of sodium.

Their meats are a killer so if you do a footlong veggie (minus the pickles & pepperchinies) I'd assume it's okay but I still don't see how a 12" bread loaf is good.

I do love subway though and it's a better alternative to Burger King or something.

http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/nutritionlist.aspx?id=breadtop