Subway! Is subway really healthy?

Replies

• I currently work at subway and eat there almost everyday- sometimes twice. (its free). STAY with the ones listed as "jared's favorites" Those all have less than 6 grams of fat- oven roasted chicken, black forest ham, turkey, veggie delight, roast beef, subway club and chicken teriyaki are all the healthiest 6 inches. If your trying to cut back on sodium, stick with the chicken and roast beef. The wheat bread, and flat bread are the healthiest options. You can get ANY sandwich as a salad- skipping bread all together. For the cheese- I tend to skip it all together because after you put veggies on it, you cant really taste it anyway. For low sodium veggies, go with lettuce, spinach, tomato, green peppers, onions and cucumbers. DONT WORRY if you dont remember this- in EVERY subway, right by the bread there is a sticker on the glass telling you what to get and avoid if you are watching fat or sodium. Subway CAN be healthy as long as you keep with 6 grams of fat or less. For sauce- stick to the fat free options, all mustards, vinegar, sweet onion sauce.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,046 Member
    u can look up the stats on their website for all their sandwiches, but i personally dont find it that healthy and its loaded with sodium!

Indeed I can feel the sodium right now....in my pores!!!!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    The calorie and sodium count posted is without cheese or mayo... so really you're looking at about 1200 calories and 3000+ mg of sodium :(

The Subway near me has flatbread now, so when I must eat there (about once a year) I stick with roasted chicken and vegetables (or just vegetables) on flatbread. Still crazy sodium, but I would never get deli meats there.
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    I eat subway like once a week. I feel that everything in moderation is okay. I usually get over roaster chicken on wheat, add mustard (no cals), and veggies. No cheese or mayo. I'm not an expert, but I would sat that eating subway is okay, and it's a better choice than other things/
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    If you chose a turkey or chicken sandwich- 6"- with no mayo or cheese, the sodium is high, but the calories are reasonable. If I eat at Subway, I usually try to drink about 3-4 extra glasses of water to get rid of the sodium. A footlong Italian BMT by the Subway website has about 1000 calories the way you ate it- and over 3000 mg of sodium.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    It's my choice if we're out at a mall with a food court - others with me can go for Burger King or KFC, I'll have a 6" wheat turkey and ham, pile on the veg, no cheese, maybe honey mustard sauce, and know that I've made a reasonably good choice. But i wouldn't do it every day.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Of course subway isn't healthy. It's fast food. I don't think bread can ever be classed as healthy. It may be the least bad of the fast food bunch, but that doesn't equal healthy by a long shot.
  • Ante_Up
    Ante_Up Posts: 141 Member
    I love Subway! I normally get the 6inch Ham on 9grain wheat bread with tons of veggies, cheddar and no sauce.
    If I do order sauce I get the *cringe* hot sauce....it's a low calorie/fat choice, but the sodium is super crazy, especially with the high sodium hot sauce. I love Franks Red Hot sauce and probably eat it way too often.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    I only do 6"...a footlong of bread/meat/cheese is INSANE amounts of sodium.

Their meats are a killer so if you do a footlong veggie (minus the pickles & pepperchinies) I'd assume it's okay but I still don't see how a 12" bread loaf is good.

I do love subway though and it's a better alternative to Burger King or something.

http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/nutritionlist.aspx?id=breadtop

Soduim aside, the meat is better for you than the bread. The bread is just filler. Never get a footlong, if anything double the meat on a six inch.
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Last night I had a 6" turkey sub on wheat with avocado, lettuce, tomato and onion... I calculated the calories using the info on their website and it came out to 355 cals, which is not bad for me. I'd rather go to Subway and get a 6" sub than go to McDonald's and be stuck with a puny little cheeseburger or 6 McNuggets. I also like the fact that I can go to any Subway and they make the subs pretty much the same way every time with the same amount of ingredients... if you have to eat fast food you could do worse.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    As someone who never eats fast food, I don't really see how just because it's better than Mcdonald's (which I wouldn't eat in a million years) that makes it good food. Why not just make your own?
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    especially with the high sodium hot sauce. I love Franks Red Hot sauce and probably eat it way too often.
    That was my number one give up. I switched to regular tabasco sauce; it has WAY less sodium.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Of course subway isn't healthy. It's fast food. I don't think bread can ever be classed as healthy. It may be the least bad of the fast food bunch, but that doesn't equal healthy by a long shot.

Ditto this ... You already know it was over the top ... You're just bragging :-)
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    No. It is processed meat, full of sodium and nitrates (let alone the carb/cal. count of the bread). But I suppose it's marginally better than a greasy burger and fries.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Agreed!!!! :-)
    No. It is processed meat, full of sodium and nitrates (let alone the carb/cal. count of the bread). But I suppose it's marginally better than a greasy burger and fries.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    As someone who never eats fast food, I don't really see how just because it's better than Mcdonald's (which I wouldn't eat in a million years) that makes it good food. Why not just make your own?

For some people, eating out is a part of their lifestyle. They may eat out with a friend or a loved one on a regular basis. I think all anyone is saying here is that if you have to eat out, Subway is a better choice then some others. Though, I find that there are suitable options at many places. The best way to handle it is to plan ahead.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    It's my choice if we're out at a mall with a food court - others with me can go for Burger King or KFC, I'll have a 6" wheat turkey and ham, pile on the veg, no cheese, maybe honey mustard sauce, and know that I've made a reasonably good choice. But i wouldn't do it every day.

Actually, I had KFC last night and didn't do too bad. I had a grilled chicken breast, potatoes w/o gravy, and green beans. No biscuit. The whole meal was 330 calories. The sodium was high though at 1,340 mg, but I have gotten pretty good about keeping my sodium minimal when eating at home so it didn't turn out that badly.
  • ashleymariec89
    ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
    I don't know why everyone is freaking about the sodium. I can eat subway and the rest of my regular days meals and still be under my sodium limit. I just looked when I had subway the other day and I was 300mg under my sodium intake for the day.

They are right though about the sandwich choice. Those meats are very high in fat. Any of the fresh fit subs are okay. Bread doesn't really make too much of a difference (in what kind you get, they are all very nutritionally similar).

I usually get the oven roasted chicken breast, 6 inch italian bread, pepper jack cheese, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, green pepper, pickles, LIGHT mayo (and watch how much they put on, my subway goes a little nuts with sauces) salt and pepper.
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member

Some days I'm going directly from work to church or to taekwondo, or I have to work late into the evening, so I buy dinner. I do pack a lunch to bring to work, but I don't usually pack a dinner. And sometimes I just feel like grabbing something quick that I didn't have to prepare myself. Different strokes for different folks. Kudos to you for having the time and energy to prepare your meals every day, and not having to resort to fast food.
  • bullriderswife08
    bullriderswife08 Posts: 207 Member
    Hello awesome people of MFP! I m asking because I just inhaled a footlong Italian bmt with lite mayo and American cheese and ALL the greens!!!.
    Im just wondering if it is healthy or did I just gobble up my whole days caloric intake ont hat bad boy!?!?!?!?!?!

Shake and bake!

That is my fave sandwich, and I have had to give it up! :( It is, unfortanutely, very high in calories.