1 gallon of water in a day?

Options

Replies

• bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I think a gallon of water a day is not good -- especially if you're not sweating it off. I don't understand how people manage that much water. It would consume your day just drinking water.
    I drink more than a gallon a day and I manage just fine!

Agreed. I have a 32oz water bottle that I drink in a 5-10 minute span, and only drinking 4 bottles hits a gallon. I mean, if you don't feel like you need that much then by all means, don't! But 20-40 minutes out of my day sipping water while I do other things isn't hard to manage at all.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    recommended water intake is actually 1/2 your body weight.

ie:
    if you weigh 200 then ideally you need 100 ounces of water a day (unless of course you are getting extreme workouts and sweating out lots)
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I think a gallon of water a day is not good -- especially if you're not sweating it off. I don't understand how people manage that much water. It would consume your day just drinking water.
    I drink more than a gallon a day and I manage just fine!

I do too and in fact I'm bloated if I drink LESS than that!! It's a must for me!!
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I drink 120 ounces of water a day. Trust me, the more you drink, the more you want it and the longer you can go inbetween bathroom stops. You will feel great!
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    i had a trainer tell me to do that and in between that and a few other things, it broke a two-months-long plateau. the only way you can hurt yourself drinking too much water (i think they call it hydrotoxemia or something) is if you drink and DON'T pee. as far as the weight tomorrow morning, don't even think twice about it. you might even have lost because you really helped your system flush a bunch of junk out.

Theorhetically, one can die from too much water. It's called water intoxication. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

HOWEVER, the amount necessary to do so would be FAR beyond anything imaginable. DRINK up...It's good for you! It flushes your system.
  • upinthecosmos
    upinthecosmos Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The more water you can get in the better. You will go to the bathroom to rid yourself of what your body can't keep in and most people are under hydrated. They say you should have at least 64 oz a day & I drink anywhere from that to 128 oz or more, depending on how thirsty I am. I don't force it but I do make sure to at least get the 64 oz in. It's 8 glasses of water... so 16 will definitely not kill anyone. Like people have said in the past comments... you aren't drinking it all at once, it's throughout the 24 hour day. You'll be fine, just know that the more you drink right before you eat the better cause it will help you feel full faster;-)
  • skinz2k2
    skinz2k2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Also remember you get water from fruits and veggies (if you eat a lot). You may not have to drink an excessive amount of water, as long as you are eating foods from the ground.
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    And drinking a lot of water makes your skin so pretty :heart:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I drink 12-16 glasses a day. And about 16 oz while reading this thread!
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    FWIW I had a doctor tell me that the 8 glasses a day is not enough. He said to take your weight and divide it in half. This is the number of ounces of water you should drink every day. So if you weigh 200 pounds you should drink 100 ounces (more than 12 cups a day).

I didn't hear this from a Doctor - but was advised by a good friend and fitness mentor to follow this rule. It's do able over the course of a day and I definitely feel better when I've had more water.

My Dr told me the same thing about 3 weeks ago & I started it doing it. It has made a positive impact on curbing my cravings & not being hungry throughout the day!
  • md921
    md921 Posts: 8
    Options
    Fact one: Too much water, esp without electrolytes and over long periods of time can be bad for you
    Fact two: Obviously, there's no magic no to tell your the right amount of water you should drink in a day. Everybody handles water differently in thousands of ways

To answer the first question: Your weight may be more or less in the morning. If your body loses >1gal (in urine, sweat, breathing, etc) then you might weigh less. In the long run, it doen't matter

Drink generously but don't drown yourself
    More importantly, when you drink a lot of water (for any reason - like you will be while hiking), you've got to take some elctrolytes - as food or drinks.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    People die crossing the street too but that doesn't mean don't cross the street. That means be wise when you do so. I drink at least a gallon of water a day and I am not dead yet.
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I tried to up my intake of water a few years ago....it was terrible!!! I found that I couldn't go anywhere without a water bottle, even driving to the store I would become thirsty....constantly thirsty! I was always needing a bathroom, and had to plan my shopping around my water intake and "out-take". Now.....if I'm thirsty, I drink! Works great!
  • musclemindca
    Options
    It's easy to drink a Gallon. It's only 16 glasses.

I have three upon waking each morning. 1 has 1/2 a lemon squeezed in it. (Hydrated for my weight training)

I have 3 at the GYM w/ BCAA's in it. (helps prevent muscle breakdown/repair)

1 glass in my Whey + Greens Post Workout Shake (muscle repair)

- ** that's 7 Glasses b4 noon

I have 3 between each of 5 meals a day = 9 more glasses

= 16 glasses a day - all before 8 p.m. so I'm not up at night going to the washroom.

A healthy schedule of eating keeps you on track. I just carry around a glass 24 oz container and refill during the day.

=======
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    research suggest you drink 1/2 your body weight in water. :drinker:

You meant to say "Drink 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight didn't ya?"

Don't know that I could drink 115 pounds of water in a day.
  • jammer2net
    jammer2net Posts: 42
    Options
    There is NO way I could drink a gallon of water a day, just speaking for myself. I had a friend that drank too much water and she had to go to the ER because of flushing out too many vitamins and nutrients. Her potassium level was wayyy low because of it.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's quite easy to do if you "ease" into it. Years ago I was on a medication that dehydrated the hell out of me. Terrible headaches, ultra dry skin, cracked & bleeding lips if I forgot my DCT. I averaged 2 gals a day.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    research suggest you drink 1/2 your body weight in water. :drinker:
    I doubt that. If you weigh 200 lbs, that is 100 lbs water.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i typically drink a gallon a day.

i pee a lot, but thats ok...i like peeing.
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    I think the drink-half-your-weight thing only works if you weigh more than 128lbs though, otherwise they'd be recommending less than 2L a day which isn't enough. by that rule, I'm supposed to drink 55oz/1.56L and I aim for at least 3.5L of water a day, plus any extras like tea/coffee (a US gallon is 3.79L).

drinking too much water is extremely rare, and only ever happens as a result of an illness or drinking a lot in a really short amount of time (like water-drinking contests) and even then it's incredibly hard to do. your kidneys flush out 0.8-1L of water per hour, so as long as it's spaced out you could technically drink 24L a day...