1 gallon of water in a day?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Like everything else, avoid extremes and use commons sense. Yes, you can drink too much water but we are talking gallons in a short period of time. Yes, you can sweat and pee out too many electrolytes so if you are sweating a lot it make sense to replace some of them either with food or things like sports drinks.

The vast majority of people can drink a gallon or more without any problems except maybe more trips to the bathroom than you would like.
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    research suggest you drink 1/2 your body weight in water. :drinker:
    I doubt that. If you weigh 200 lbs, that is 100 lbs water.
    they didn't word it well. the rule is roughly 1oz water per 2lb body weight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    6 litres (1.5 gallons) in 3 hours is enough to kill you.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't follow rules. I just drink when I'm thirsty.
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    then you should try drinking more :--) once you start to feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I eat a cup of raw asparagus every day and drink enough water not to smell it by the evening.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Just drink enough to keep your pee fairly colourless
    Morning pee is dark, very diluted pee is like water. It should be a light yellow.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I eat a cup of raw asparagus every day and drink enough water not to smell it by the evening.
    Ahh, the asparagus gene... I'm blessed with it, too.
  • mikekelly1234
    mikekelly1234 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is what the Navy goes by...Half your body weight in ounces.
  • NCFootballCoach
    NCFootballCoach Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been told by a nutritionist and trainer that in order to burn fat and process your nutrients that a male needs to 55% water and a female 60% water. They said the average person is only 40-50% water, which is okay to prevent dehydration, but won't allow you to process your food for proper digestion and metabolism.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    This is what the Navy goes by...Half your body weight in ounces.
    It is quite a lot for people who might not be as physically active constantly and/or in hot climates. If one is sedentary and the season is cooler, much less is removed as sweat to cool down the body.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    there is no harmful amount of water as long as its not at once.. I used to drink a gallon a day. To flush your toxins out, I shoot for an oz./lb. of body weight so if you weigh 120lbs, id shoot for 120 oz

Wrong........google hyponatremia.....
    flush toxins out
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    then you should try drinking more :--) once you start to feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

Trust your thirst......much of the so-called research done on hydration is paid for by companies that make sports drinks and sell bottled water etc..
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Just drink enough to keep your pee fairly colourless
    Exactly! A pale yellow is what you want. Water is like vitamins in that your body needs what it needs, and any extra will provide absolutley no benefit, and a lot extra can be harmful.

Don't believe anyone who tells you that you must drink X ounces a day, or your body weight in ounces per day, or any other formula. Does that person know how old you are?...Your genetics?...How much you weigh?...The climate you live in?...The amount of exercise you do?...Are you an office worker or a manual laborer? All these things play a big role in your requirements for water.

The pee test is the best was to know if you are getting enough.
  • pythagarus
    pythagarus Posts: 16
    Options
    That is the only downside to drinking so much water, the inevitable trips to the bathroom.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I go by the amount of water for your body weight and then some! (body weight x 1/2 = That number / 8 = Number of 8 oz glasses per day)
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I drink half my body weight in ounces. I do it because it helps keep my skin clear and it keeps me feeling full to keep from the mindless snacking.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Eeeeeverybody is different. While some don't drink more than 4 oz a day and I have no idea how their bodies can function properly, others can drink 2 gallons a day.

My suggestion is, drink as much water as your body ask you for. If you're thirsty, drink it! Imagine if I were to based my water intake on how much water others drink, like my mom for instance. I would probably have died of dehydration.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I drink 4 Litres of water a day, which is just over a Gallon (like 3 3/4 Litres in Gallon roughly) That's when I'm just sitting at a desk most of the day. If I'm out riding bike I'll drink 2 litres in an hour... you'll sweat it out, and it will flush your system. If anything it will help you. If it's hot out and you are really working hard, your body may retain some of that water and ya, you might see the scale reflect that, but that shouldn't make you crazy anyway.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I drink 120 ounces of water a day. Trust me, the more you drink, the more you want it and the longer you can go inbetween bathroom stops. You will feel great!

Yes, I do 128 myself minimum