Major Sweet Tooth Needs Help

elijackson
elijackson Posts: 48
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
I have a horrible sweet tooth. I have been diagnosed with depression (doing very well these days!) but I think my body really enjoys the high it gets from sugar. So, I'm looking for ideas for things to eat to help curb my cravings without adding too many extra calories. Got any great alternatives for the following:

Chocolate chip cookies - My all time favorite thing is a hot, fresh chocolate chip cookie with cookie dough on top of it like icing.
Chocolate milk shake - So rich and creamy and satisfying
Junior mints - I have bags of exactly 17 pieces counted out so I don't eat too many. Do you know how fast 17 pieces go? And I'm great about sucking on them to make them last.
Twizzlers - I can make a Twizzler last forever. But even though it is a "low-fat food" it is still a sugar bomb.

I'd love any sweet treat replacement ideas you have!

Replies

• MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Haha my nickname used to be twirlers. Lol I have always liked fruit snacks and yoplait yogurt with the dessert flavors like red velvet cake and key lime pie. I figure it's a healthy alternative to sweets. If I do go all out in sweets I like cake. Lol
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    i like greek yogurt for that , lots of protein that i need 130 calories
  • elijackson
    i like greek yogurt for that , lots of protein that i need 130 calories

Greek yogurt tastes kind of funny to me. However, I really like it with granola in it, but that defeats the whole purpose. Granola has way too many calories and a lot of fat.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Here is what has been a live saver for me and think I am even addicted to it! I buy a lot of strawberries and cut them up, wash and dry them, then I add truvia or splenda sweetner then, the best part, I add 6 tbsp of lite cool whip and it saves me from the candy and ice cream i really want but it really does do the trick! I live on it almost everyday!
  • elijackson
    Haha my nickname used to be twirlers. Lol I have always liked fruit snacks and yoplait yogurt with the dessert flavors like red velvet cake and key lime pie. I figure it's a healthy alternative to sweets. If I do go all out in sweets I like cake. Lol

Are those really any good? Do they actually taste like what they claim? If they do, then I'd be willing to give them a try! My issue that yogurt never seems to help me feel less hungry.
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    non fat surgar free chocolate jello pudding with sugar free whip cream on top. YUM!
    Also there is a chocolate shake called BEACH BODY thats full of vitamins and very good for you You make it in a blender with ice. I drink one for a snake after work and am losing weight. with it. Plus it gives me more energy to work out. You should try it. Contact me if you want to. Oh and 1 more thing.....I always chew sugar free gum. It helps me. And I go to starbucks and get a small skinny vanilla latte. They are yummy and not bad at all good luck!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    not much to do for hte cookie - when you are craving one, budget one in to your daily calories (don't keep a tube of cookie dough, just go and buy ONE cookie -- plus sometimes you will decide you're too lazy to buy a cookie and you'll end up not eating one).

For the milkshake, try non-fat frozen yogurt. I like the peanut butter chocolate at golden spoon (technically its lowfat but good enough) but some of their other flavors are awful. Pinkberry is also really good and although I'm not a huge sweets person other people LOVE the caramel flavor there -- I have tried it and it tastes good but I prefer the tart flavor.

Sounds like you have the candy under control - Just keep it that way and try to feel satisfied with it. Also good for me personally is non-fat milk, I think milk is very naturally sweet and nonfat is quite low in calories. (But like I said - I'm not a big sweet tooth really so maybe milk doesn't do that for you)
  • catecn
    catecn Posts: 84
    for milkshakes, i use a chocolate protien powder and blend it with water and ice, add a bit of vanilla flavor to it and it helps get rif of the chalky taste, i make them all the time! sometimes i add a little sugar free jello. it makes it more creamy
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    instead of butterfingers....the slimfast chocolate peanutbutter crunch tastes EXACTLY the same with only 100 cals. My hubby and i get te slimfast snacks because they taste really good and curve my sweet or chocolate craving
  • It's good that your favorite sweets all come in sugar-free forms! I live in Los Angeles, and can always find them at a Walgreens or Ralphs (aka Kroger) grocery store. Here are some links if you prefer to buy them online:

Sugar Free Twizzlers - http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?skuId=328903&productId=328903&WT.mc_id=Shopping_Feed_Products_Google_Free_Listing

(Red Vines also makes a sugar-free strawberry flavor!)

Reeses Mini PB Cups, Hershey's Caramel Chocolates, etc. - Walgreens, baby!

Cookies - Atkins has some (get em at Ralphs), as well as some good recipes on their website: http://www.atkins.com/Products/AvailableProducts4l4/Atkins-Endulge-Bars.aspx

Chocolate Shakes - Atkins! Only 110-150 calories per shake, and they're pretty filling. Every flavor is yummy, except strawberry and vanilla: http://www.atkins.com/Products/AvailableProducts3l3/Atkins-Advantage-Shakes.aspx

Junior Mints - The Hershey's/Reeses people listed above make sugar free York Peppermint Patties.
  • MelissaRR03
    MelissaRR03 Posts: 2 Member
    I get my 'chocolate fix' from my protein shake. I drink it post workout. And if I don't work out, I will drink it as a supplement with a veggie. It seems to be working for me! :happy: Yogurt also works for me.
  • elijackson
    Here is what has been a live saver for me and think I am even addicted to it! I buy a lot of strawberries and cut them up, wash and dry them, then I add truvia or splenda sweetner then, the best part, I add 6 tbsp of lite cool whip and it saves me from the candy and ice cream i really want but it really does do the trick! I live on it almost everyday!

Sounds awesome! I love strawberries!!! They're supposed to be good for fiber too :) What serving size do you eat and how many calories is it?
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member

Are those really any good? Do they actually taste like what they claim? If they do, then I'd be willing to give them a try! My issue that yogurt never seems to help me feel less hungry.

Yeah they are amazing and only 100 calories. I don't need a full slice of cake to satisfy my cravings. Just one yogurt does it for me, it actually tastes good! I like red velvet cake, key lime pie and strawberry shortcake. They also have regular fruit flavors like raspberries. Make sure u get "yoplait light" or "yoplait light thick and creamy."
  • elijackson
    Sugar Free Twizzlers - http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?skuId=328903&productId=328903&WT.mc_id=Shopping_Feed_Products_Google_Free_Listing

Junior Mints - The Hershey's/Reeses people listed above make sugar free York Peppermint Patties.

REALLY??? I know where I'm going tomorrow. I didn't realize the really good stuff came in sugar free. I hope the calories are low enough to indulge a little. Thanks!
  • elijackson
    Just one yogurt does it for me, it actually tastes good! I like red velvet cake, key lime pie and strawberry shortcake. They also have regular fruit flavors like raspberries. Make sure u get "yoplait light" or "yoplait light thick and creamy."

Will do! Red Velvet Cake and Strawberry Shortcake sound really good.
  • elijackson
    Also good for me personally is non-fat milk, I think milk is very naturally sweet and nonfat is quite low in calories.

I like milk and I already drink skim, so that's good. But my sweet tooth kicks in here too - I find chocolate milk almost irresistible. And I'm not talking about a little hershey's syrup stirred in...I'm talking about the creamy, pre-made, full of calories stuff. Uh oh, I think I just drooled a little :p
  • 130 calories in 6 s/f Twizzlers;

110 calories in 3 s/f York Peppermint Patties.

Not bad :)
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member

Sounds awesome! I love strawberries!!! They're supposed to be good for fiber too :) What serving size do you eat and how many calories is it?

Most of the time i will eat one whole pint in a sitting and on some days have another one at night but i always count it in my daily calories. It comes out to about 2 1/2-3 cups of cut up serawberries coming in at around 206-246 cal. with the cool whip. It rea;;y is a great sweet tooth helper. I couldn't live without it..lol
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234

REALLY??? I know where I'm going tomorrow. I didn't realize the really good stuff came in sugar free. I hope the calories are low enough to indulge a little. Thanks!

These are really tasty too. I buy them for my mom cuz she is diabetic and I thought they would be nasty but I could not tell the difference. Sugar free Turtles and peppermint patties are my favorites. Be careful about sugar free stuff though because sometimes they upset your stomach. I think splenda is okay but some of the other sweeteners give you ...um...well, many trips to the bathroom shall we say.
  • Also good for me personally is non-fat milk, I think milk is very naturally sweet and nonfat is quite low in calories.

I like milk and I already drink skim, so that's good. But my sweet tooth kicks in here too - I find chocolate milk almost irresistible. And I'm not talking about a little hershey's syrup stirred in...I'm talking about the creamy, pre-made, full of calories stuff. Uh oh, I think I just drooled a little :p

Have you tried Almond Milk? I think it's a great substitute for cow's milk, period. The Unsweetened version only has 40 calories per glass, sweetened is about 90 calories. You could add some sugar-free Hershey's syrup, or even a small amount of regular syrup, to that. Almond Breeze also makes a chocolate version that has 120 calories. Here is their website (though several other manufacturers also make almond milk): http://www.bluediamond.com/index.cfm?navid=53
This discussion has been closed.