Major Sweet Tooth Needs Help

2»

Replies

• Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Try a fruit salad. I sometimes think when we want something sweet we want or need fruit. I think it fits in the whole nature thing.

Here's what I use: 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup of orange juice, 1/3 cup of brown sugar. Put those in a sauce pan and stir. Bring to a light boil and then let cool. Once cooled add a teaspoon of vanilla and stir. Then just poor over your favorite fruit. Currently I use Blueberries, strawberries, Bananas, and an orange or 2. You can also stir in a cup of plain nonfat yogurt. The yogurt makes it a bit smoother. I think because it neutralizes some of the acid.

I have also used pineapple, grapes, grapefruit. The orange is much better than the grapefruit.

Another cool thing is if you eat all the fruit and there's some juices left you can simply add more fruit with out making the sauce again. That's what I did tonight.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    From one chocoholic to another... Good luck! seems like you are looking for a sweet thats not just satisfying but that actually feels like a treat ...Some of the things that have helped me immensly are..Sugar free jello pudding with sugar free cool whip on top! YUMMY! Fiber one chocolate almond bars...O yea! Snackwells devils food cookies (just not to many)
    Snackwells also has a cookie that comes in a four pack and is so sweet 2 are enough! Def good for an OMG sweet tooth! They are similar to that of Keeblers vienna cookies... and last but not least for the mint choco cravings.. 3 muskateers mint mini bars..

These are all "cheat" foods that are a bit better in the calorie dept Yea theres plenty better alternatives but some times you just want to eat sumthing nummy that feels bad! LOL Good luck!
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    ooooh, Fiber one bars are AWESOME! I am not sure how many calories they have but they do have lots of fiber that fills you up quick and the chocolate is dark so thats less sugar right?
  • Lewre
    Lewre Posts: 22
    I, too, love a good chocolate milkshake. I've been using the GNC Lean Shakes in the Swiss Chocolate flavor. I make mine with ice and water in the blender and it's super delcious! I feel like I'm getting a treat twice a day instead of depriving myself of sweets. :)

Btw...warm chocolate chip cookies are my downfall too!
  • elijackson
    elijackson Posts: 48
    and last but not least for the mint choco cravings.. 3 muskateers mint mini bars..

I have never heard of those. They sound AWESOME!!! I'll have to look for them...
  • elijackson
    I, too, love a good chocolate milkshake. I've been using the GNC Lean Shakes in the Swiss Chocolate flavor. I make mine with ice and water in the blender and it's super delcious! I feel like I'm getting a treat twice a day instead of depriving myself of sweets. :)

Btw...warm chocolate chip cookies are my downfall too!

mmmmm.....coooookiiieeessss...but I digress...
    Protein shakes seem like something I need to look into. I tried them for a while but wanted to get back to eating real food. But if I can have one now and then and help my sweet craving, they're likely going to be worth it. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • elijackson
    Have you tried Almond Milk? I think it's a great substitute for cow's milk, period. The Unsweetened version only has 40 calories per glass, sweetened is about 90 calories. You could add some sugar-free Hershey's syrup, or even a small amount of regular syrup, to that. Almond Breeze also makes a chocolate version that has 120 calories. Here is their website (though several other manufacturers also make almond milk): http://www.bluediamond.com/index.cfm?navid=53

I haven't. I will have to try the chocolate version out!
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    instead of butterfingers....the slimfast chocolate peanutbutter crunch tastes EXACTLY the same with only 100 cals. My hubby and i get te slimfast snacks because they taste really good and curve my sweet or chocolate craving
    The concept of a biscuit that is "only 100" calories seems weird.
    Your average biscuit is only like 40-70 calories... 100 is a lot for a biscuit...
  • elijackson
    These are all so wonderful! Thank you everyone. I have a great shopping list planned. But now I need to be careful and try all these great things one at a time - LOL!

Please feel free to continue to post if you have more ideas to share.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Great thread with good suggestions. I love sugar too. If I can be mindful enough to eat a lot of fruit, I find that the intense cravings for candy and chocolate will lesen. Frozen grapes are pretty good and satisfying. I'm also a fan of sugar free pudding (jello brand). I have also been amazed to discover pure protein bars... The s'mores flavor is pretty tasty and it has a good amount of protein, hardly any sugar compared to other protein bars.AND they satisfy my appetite. If I remember right, "think thin" bars are decent too with low sugar. A less dangerous way to get the chocolate fix in....

Now I'm on a quest for sugar free twizzlers and the sugar free York peppermint patties - thanks to this thread!
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    I have a huge sweet tooth as well. I've been getting Carbolite or WowCow frozen yogurt from my favourite yogurt place (Yumi Yogurt in Redwood City, CA). At home I love to snack on frozen grapes!
  • 38Gigi38
    38Gigi38 Posts: 115 Member
    Weight watchers has some great candies, a Peppermint patty type and a Mounds type with coconut. Walmart has a whole section of sugarfree and diet candy right at the end of the candy isle. I really love those when I'm having a sweet tooth moment. I also eat strawberries with sugar free strawberry glaze and cool whip. Yoplait has a lot of really great light fat free yogurts, one of my favorites is their Boston Cream Pie. I also like skim milk with the diet hershey's chocolate syrup. My sister came up with a fantastic treat...she takes the diet graham crackers and puts cool whip in the middle and then freezes them for a great low cal. cool treat.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Flapjack. Honey flapjack to be more specific. Not the worst treat you could find, fir sure.
  • if i feel like something a bit sweet I have a glass of RiceDream milk :) Quite low in calories, and very naturally sweet! I love it!
  • if i feel like something a bit sweet I have a glass of RiceDream milk :) Quite low in calories, and very naturally sweet! I love it!
This discussion has been closed.