Low-Carb Myths and Truths

Options
13»

Replies

• fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty sad and pathetic that you cannot post something on the boards without people assuming you meant something you did not mean. you simply posted an article that was interesting to read, you were not indicating that going low carb was horrible- yet you actually stated you tried low carb and it worked for you. this is why I hate posting on the forums b/c of adults acting like cry babies and really just being rude and responding with all sorts of negative comments and just being really defensive and rude. I actually found the article interesting to read even though I may not follow it. Articles are posted all the time in newspapers and magazines that are not peer reviewed and you don't see any of these people who were as rude to you on here writing those newspaper companies or magazine companies and saying all kinds of junk to them. Ugh- whatever!
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on that, there is too much animosity around here. Seems people are always on guard for some reason.. In my post I only wanted to state my point of view and didn't want to insult you in anyway. It's so weird though, I used to be in a forum where people with eating disorders were talking to each other (imagine obese and anorexics in a room) and all posts were civilised. I might go back there come to think of it.

Agreed. I mean, if you want to attack the article then go ahead, but don't attack me for posting it. (Not you (: ) But I'm not even against low carb and just because I posted an article doesn't mean I necessarily believe what it's saying. I was just putitng up information that is out there.

People can just be kind of mean sometimes.

Then why in the world did you post it?? Of course people are going to think that is your stand unless you state otherwise. Don't post stuff on here and not expect people to respond with their opinions.

Well duh! Maybe it was something she found interesting to read and thought she would share it. I don't see any restrictions in the user terms that state you cannot post articles that you found interesting to read or made you say ah ha to yourself. Very rude of you all to attack her when she was just posting. how about you encourage her and maybe see what questions she has instead of attacking HER- possibly even point out parts of the article you disagree with and have a discusssion with Her about it rather than ridicule her and ask why she posted it.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Wow, apparently I've lost 40 pounds of water! I wonder how much more water I can lose...

ME too ..amazing that when I went on the Protein power plan 14 years ago . I went from size 22 - size 12 in less than 6 months , became lean and strong it was ALL water weight that I lost.. who knew..:huh:
    I have seen photos of folks who lost weight two different ways, they lost down from 200 to 150 on a low fat/cal restricted diet and then on a high fat/carb restricted diet.
    The side by side pictures told the story better then a scale or diary. The low cal photos showed lean but flabby bodies. The low,carb photos showed a smaller, leaner and tight bodies. Low carb is protein sparing (muscle mass is intact) therefore losing higher percentage of body fat and less muscle mass, while low fat loses an equal percentage of lean to fat body mass.

Do you happen to remember where you saw those photos? I'd love the encouragement! I always worry about what going to happen to my skin once all my "water" weight is gone! I haven't had any problems with sagging skin yet (except on my tummy where I had my c-section), and amazingly my triple chin has turned into a double chin (NSV!!). I wonder if my body will start using my cellulite for fuel, once it's used up all my fat stores? That would be AWESEOME!

I've lost weight on this type of diet, but no saggy skin. The trick is to maintain or increase lean muscle mass. I do a lot of yoga and walking without having my body rely so much on carbohydrate for fuel. Everybody has their own routine for getting some sort of resistance training.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I went and read OP article at the source. The funniest thing about it, is that what follows the article are (I didn't count) about 100 comments or more of people PRAISING the Atkins diet, and a ton of pro-low carb testimonials. There was nothing but silence from the low-fat, calorie counting camp.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Wow, apparently I've lost 40 pounds of water! I wonder how much more water I can lose...

ME too ..amazing that when I went on the Protein power plan 14 years ago . I went from size 22 - size 12 in less than 6 months , became lean and strong it was ALL water weight that I lost.. who knew..:huh:
    I have seen photos of folks who lost weight two different ways, they lost down from 200 to 150 on a low fat/cal restricted diet and then on a high fat/carb restricted diet.
    The side by side pictures told the story better then a scale or diary. The low cal photos showed lean but flabby bodies. The low,carb photos showed a smaller, leaner and tight bodies. Low carb is protein sparing (muscle mass is intact) therefore losing higher percentage of body fat and less muscle mass, while low fat loses an equal percentage of lean to fat body mass.

Do you happen to remember where you saw those photos? I'd love the encouragement! I always worry about what going to happen to my skin once all my "water" weight is gone! I haven't had any problems with sagging skin yet (except on my tummy where I had my c-section), and amazingly my triple chin has turned into a double chin (NSV!!). I wonder if my body will start using my cellulite for fuel, once it's used up all my fat stores? That would be AWESEOME!

I tried to find them but I have been around so many years on different boards that I can't find them again. Bummer. But it was impressive. Atkins/Paleo/Primal are all basically the same in that they are protein sparing. Which translates to, "Does not cannibalize your own muscle mass while losing fat." You lose a higher percentage of fat to muscle and therefore are leaner and have less underlying fat over toned and tight muscle.
    Maybe this will be a better analogy= low fat/low cal diet 125 lbs= size 8-6. Low carb/high fat diet 125 lbs= size 4-2.
  • SouthPark11
    SouthPark11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Then why in the world did you post it?? Of course people are going to think that is your stand unless you state otherwise. Don't post stuff on here and not expect people to respond with their opinions.
    There's a thin line between disagreeing and just being plain rude. And my opinion is that anyone who defends their views by belittling the opposite side loses any credibility in the argument.

Voltaire said, "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.". This is perhaps the basic rule of a well functioning society.

Do people really believe that because they think they're absolutely right allows them to behave in any aggressive way? Especially in this area where we're discussing mostly theories and methods that certainly do not work for everyone?
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    There's a thin line between disagreeing and just being plain rude. And my opinion is that anyone who defends their views by belittling the opposite side loses any credibility in the argument.

Voltaire said, "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.". This is perhaps the basic rule of a well functioning society.

Do people really believe that because they think they're absolutely right allows them to behave in any aggressive way? Especially in this area where we're discussing mostly theories and methods that certainly do not work for everyone?

I really didn’t see anyone attacking the OP, although it would be deserved. I DON”T BUY, and apparently neither does anyone else, that she was “just posting information” I call BS and throw the BS flag. People just don’t go around posting articles they don’t agree with unless they follow it with their own narrative about how they don’t agree with this or that, and maybe they agree with parts but not other parts, it just doesn’t happen. This was plainly an attack on the low carb lifestyle, for whatever reason. (maybe another attack from the vegan camp???) Daisy has her profile set to private so it’s hard to say what her motivation is.
  • SouthPark11
    SouthPark11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This was plainly an attack on the low carb lifestyle, for whatever reason. (maybe another attack from the vegan camp???) Daisy has her profile set to private so it’s hard to say what her motivation is.

Thank you, you just answered my question! so you see it as an attack? Sorry, I'm new, so I didn't know you're divided in camps and attack each other in here...
    Even in the unlikely scenario of daisy being an agent for vegans does this mean we get to throw our verbal rocks at her because we're so afraid she might infiltrate our lifestyles? What happened to respect?
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This was plainly an attack on the low carb lifestyle, for whatever reason. (maybe another attack from the vegan camp???) Daisy has her profile set to private so it’s hard to say what her motivation is.

Thank you, you just answered my question! so you see it as an attack? Sorry, I'm new, so I didn't know you're divided in camps and attack each other in here...
    Even in the unlikely scenario of daisy being an agent for vegans does this mean we get to throw our verbal rocks at her because we're so afraid she might infiltrate our lifestyles? What happened to respect?

I'm not vegan in the slightest. IF you actually read anything else I've posted after the article. I answered people's POLITE questions and discussed with them. How was this in any way an attack?

And thank you, SouthPark!
  • freerange
    Options
    Everyday someone on here has to put have a go at lower carb eaters. If you do not like the idea, don't do it! SIMPLE!

If everyone who keeps arguing this point spent as much time working out, then we would all be fit as fiddles!

Lower carb eaters are not just meat eaters, they eat vegetables, nuts etc too.

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. THERE IS NO ONE SIZE DIET FITS ALL.

If you do not believe in low carb then fine but do not preach to people.

I'm not preaching. WOW

And I'm officially done posting to MFP boards because it seems like some people jump down your throat no matter what you post.

This tells it all, people don't jump down your throat for no reason, people jump down your throat beacuse you post mis information. So again you you either intentionally posted this as an attack, or you need to take this as a lesson to do some research before you post BS like this. And again I’m not buying the, “I just posted information” line. People post things for a reason, either you agree with the article or you disagree with it, and since you didn’t post your own editorial about how you think it’s hogwash, we can only assume you agree with it.
  • LtAngela
    LtAngela Posts: 35
    Options
    Low-Carb Myths and Truths
    The premise of all low-carb foods and diet plans begins with nutrition-science basics.

Carbohydrates do raise blood sugar, because they provide so much of your body's preferred source of fuel: glucose. When glucose levels rise, your pancreas releases a flood of insulin that prompts cells to store sugar. Advocates say that eating a diet low in carb makes weight loss easier because low, steady blood sugar conquers food cravings. But the next step in the low-carb equation is open to debate: Proponents say these diets also change your metabolism so your body breaks down more fats, and--voilà--fewer of the calories you eat are stored as flab.

Low-carb weight-loss plans do work--for a while. Pounds drop quickly at first because burning stored carbs (called glycogen) releases water. Quite simply, you lose excess water weight. Nutritionists say, though, that low-carb weight loss isn't metabolic magic, just the working-out of nature's first rule of weight loss: Eat fewer calories, and you will shed pounds. Some low-carbers say this special way of eating eliminates cravings, but others feel headachy and nauseated. Burning far without carbohydrates produces substances called ketones, which can decrease appetite, but there's a danger because sustained high ketone levels may deplete mineral stores in bones, leaving them fragile. Here's the rest of the low-carb story.

Low-carb diets don't go the distance for weight loss.

Carb-conscious eating may speed up early weight loss, but not much more. In a year-long study of 63 dieters, University of Pennsylvania researchers found that low-carb dieters dropped 4 percent more weight than those following a conventional low-cal plan in the first six months--but both groups achieved nearly identical weight losses after one year.

When researchers at the National Weight Control Registry looked at the diets of 2,681 successful dieters who had maintained at least a 30-pound weight loss for a year or more, they expected to see many low-carb diet adherents. They were shocked to find just 25, or 1 percent of the total group. Their conclusion: Low-carb plans didn't produce a lasting metabolic change that kept pounds off.

A high-fat, super-low-carb diet threatens your heart.

The Atkins Diet--the oldest and most famous of the low-carb regimens--allows a mere 20 grams of carbs per day in the earliest, strictest phase, putting most grains, beans, fruits, breads, rice, potatoes, pastas, and starchy vegetables off-limits. At the same time, it allows generous amounts of beef, pork, chicken, eggs, and butter.

Unlimited access to bacon cheeseburgers is tempting, but a low-carb diet that's essentially an all-you-can-eat saturated-fat buffet may increase your risk of heart attack and stroke, the American Heart Association cautions. All that sat fat can raise levels of heart-threatening LDL cholesterol--and at the same time shortchange you on the antioxidants from fruits, veggies, and grains that protect arteries from plaque formation. (Low-carb diets are also high in protein, which makes them risky for people with diabetes because they can speed the progression of diabetic kidney disease.)

Low-carb isn't low-calorie.

Many low-carb products undermine weight-loss efforts because they're packed with as many--or even more--calories than "regular carb" versions. Many are also higher in fat. This is especially true of reduced-carb comfort foods such as ice cream, bread, pasta, and snack bars. A 1-ounce low-carb chocolate bar with 120 calories or a 270-calorie scoop of low-carb Rocky Road ice cream won't do your hips any favors.

"It's the calories, not the carbohydrates," notes Robert O. Bonow, M.D., former president of the American Heart Association. "America is gaining weight because people are eating more calories than they can burn and getting less exercise."

Low-carb junk food is still . . . junk.

Indulging in a low-carb snack food with the belief that it's a better weight-loss choice than a piece of fruit, a serving of veggies, or a handful of whole grain crackers (trans fat-free, of course) puts you in double jeopardy: You've just robbed your body of a host of heart-healthy nutrients and fiber, and you may have eaten a ton of empty calories. Example: For 40 grams of carbs a day, you could eat 1/2 cup of lentils, a cup of carrots, an orange, and a slice of light seven-grain bread (total calories: 40; plus a hefty dose of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals). Getting those 40 grams from low-carb snack foods could supply up to 1,440 calories and very few nutrients.

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Low-Carb-Myths-and-Truths/Detail.aspx

Here is RESULT!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/288131-compare-my-photo-before-and-after
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Everyday someone on here has to put have a go at lower carb eaters. If you do not like the idea, don't do it! SIMPLE!

If everyone who keeps arguing this point spent as much time working out, then we would all be fit as fiddles!

I'm not preaching. WOW

And I'm officially done posting to MFP boards because it seems like some people jump down your throat no matter what you post.

This tells it all, people don't jump down your throat for no reason, people jump down your throat beacuse you post mis information. So again you you either intentionally posted this as an attack, or you need to take this as a lesson to do some research before you post BS like this. And again I’m not buying the, “I just posted information” line. People post things for a reason, either you agree with the article or you disagree with it, and since you didn’t post your own editorial about how you think it’s hogwash, we can only assume you agree with it.

Yes because if it doesn't agree with what you think than it MUST be misinformation.
  • freerange
    Options

I'm not preaching. WOW

Yes because if it doesn't agree with what you think than it MUST be misinformation.

Now you are defending the article, I guess “we” were right LOL. It’s not that I agree with it or not, it’s that it’s wrong, Mr. Mynameisuntz provided you with the information you need to check if it’s true or not. And believe me when I say this, untz and I DO NOT SEE THINGS EYE TO EYE.

One thing you can count on here, is if you post information, especially if it’s wrong information you will be called on it. You have the right to believe anything you like, you can believe fats are bad, that low cal will kill your kidney, that people that eat meat kill puppies, but if you post your beliefs expect someone to throw the BS flag.