Get off your TUSH!! Who else sits at a desk allll day!?

Options
So...I work an office job....where I sit in my office allll day long...behind a desk.....not getting an ounce of exercise except for when I get up to go to the fax machine, use the restroom or snag something delish from the breakroom.
Who else sits behind a desk all day, and what do you do to GET OFF YOUR TUSH and get moving during the day??
I'm considering looking into getting a 'stand up' desk....
What are your thoughts people?

Replies

• fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I too work in an office and site at my desk ALL day. So in the mornings before it gets too warm a coworker and I take a nice 1 mile power walk, use hand weights and do lunges at the end of the walk.

Funny you mention the stand up desk. We had a Ergonomics Dr. do a presentation about a month ago. He touched on this subject. It can be good...but also could have adverse affects too. Something to investigate further if you are seriously considering.
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    Thanks for the advice girl!!! I should do power walks at lunch...:)
    I will defitely do my research on stand up desks....I can see how they could have averse affects...I just feel like sitting on my tush all day CAN'T do any good for it.....probably making me have a pancake butt as we speak!! :) haha...
  • Cherrycandy
    Cherrycandy Posts: 200
    Options
    Im with you! I sit all day and there are times that I actually feel sore because of it.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day ... but I workout 5x a week so I don't care ... lol
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    Do you think it would look odd if I just did a quick lap around the office every 30 minute or so??? ;)
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Ugh I sit at a desk all day as well..and hate it! I usually try to go for a walk/jog at lunchtime and if I have to go anywhere I use the stairs. I try to get up a few times an hour just to move around for a bit and stretch my legs. I hate sitting at a desk all day, but I don't know how I would do at a stand up desk lol
  • Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day aswell...but to counteract it..I park pretty far from the building..and go for 15 min walks...but then I also work out about 5-7 times a week..
  • Ambeltz2016
    Ambeltz2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a school type gym where I work and on my lunch hour I will walk for 20 min and then throw the basketball around and run after it.
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I sit at my desk too all day...try and get up for water and try and go out for a walk at least 3 times a week (British Weather Dependant). Otherwise, not a lot! I work in an industrial estate too so not very exciting places to walk to unless you go to the centre (bakeries, chip shop and three shops that sell food) or the local services (kfc, mcd's, pizza hut...) so yeah not great!

Not sure of the stand up desks but if they worked lol
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Do you think it would look odd if I just did a quick lap around the office every 30 minute or so??? ;)

HA!!! NO!! please do it!! sounds fantastic lol :)
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to switch your desk chair for a one of the exercise balls? Then you're working your core and can easily fit in a few leg lifts & such throughout the day.
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    When I take a break I go do like a ton of squats in the stair well (b/c no-one can see me). I also walk the stairs too. We have 8 floors here. I have a pedaler under my desk in case i want to pedal too.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too - but I run up and down the stairs several times a day. Sometimes I'll run downstairs to drop off a single piece of mail even though I know I'll have more later....maybe not the most efficient use of my time (then again, neither is commenting on the MFP message boards:) but I figure the more stairs the better! I also walk over to the courthouse or to the post office when I need to - and time isn't an issue. And lunch time is my running time.
  • sbpeters93
    sbpeters93 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list! I sit All Day (8:00-5:00). I get an hour for lunch and I take a walk pretty much every day - for about 30-35 minutes of my lunch hour. I need time to come back and freshen up afterwards. I eat lunch at my desk before I go. We also have 2 bathrooms in my office. 1 on the floor I sit and 1 in the basement of the office. I always go to the one down there so I can do the steps. And with all of the water I drink - I go A LOT!
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've thought about getting one of those balls to sit on, the exercise ball? I've heard it's good for those with back problems.

In the past, when I used the restroom (which is often because I drink a lot of water) I did squats and lunges. If anything it get my muscles working.
  • mol1021
    mol1021 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    me too...but I joined the rec center which is about 10 mins from my job and go workout on my lunch breaks..........it makes me feel more energized to get through the last few hours of the work day :wink:
  • mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yep - sit at the desk all day. I try to get up at least once an hour and walk somewhere. When I'm feeling really tight, I will do some hamstring stretches.

I have considered getting a ball to sit on instead of chair. I've read that could exercise your core more and might be better for the back. Anyone else heard about that?
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day ... but I workout 5x a week so I don't care ... lol

Yeah! I do that too, but 6x a week (and my rest day i do cardio) so i feel ya! :wink:
  • nitamo
    nitamo Posts: 64
    Options
    I don't think it would look odd at all if you took a quick lap round the office! In fact, you might even get others up and moving a bit.
    I'm a stay at home mom, but every hour I stop what I'm doing and jog in place for 15 minutes:-)