overweight subway employees

Options
I just ate a delicious lunch at subway and noticed that one employee was morbidly obese (at the cash register sitting down because she could hardly walk) and the rest were overweight (with the exception of 1 employee who seemed "average.") I know that subway couldn't NOT hire these people for being big because of discrimination and huge lawsuits, but doesn't it kind of affect the brand? Subway is known for being healthy but these employees contradict the message.

Abercrombie hires people who are "beautiful and thin" without even asking them interview questions.. they literally see someone beautiful and ask if they want a job... by hiring these people they are playing up the fact that the brand is made for skinnier and prettier people (they even put the size 0's and 2's at eye level, whereas the biggest sizes are at the top!) No one ever says anything about that so I'm wondering about subway. Maybe it's because I live in MS (the state with the most overweight people) so it goes somewhat unnoticed? thoughts?

I'm not trying to be rude it's just something I noticed. Hopefully subway is encouraging these employees to be healthier.

Replies

• WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Subway promotes such a healthy lifestyle, but their food is just as loaded with calories as any other fast food restaurant! You have to be extremely careful with what you order there. Even when you think you're eating healthy, you may not be.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Hey, fatties need jobs too, ya know.

Maybe they're slimming down (like many of us here) but aren't at their goal yet?
    Maybe that cashier used to be 500lbs and couldn't get out of bed? Maybe she's THRILLED to have a job where she can be a productive member of society again?

Maybe some brands aren't full of superficial punks like A&F.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Where in MS? I live here too and just think to the Subway I go too and wonder if it is the same one...lol
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    There was some big drama about Abercrombie awhile back. I don't like going into their stores because it's like drowning in perfume and cologne. As for Subway, they have tons of things on their menu that are not healthy and that's probably what they choose versus the low fat menu.
    Where in MS are you?? I'm in Picayune.
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Yes be careful ordering there. I ornered a 6 inch turkey on wheat and the website told me the nutrition info but when I looked at the website and added it up individually with what I had it was so much more even though I accounted for the extras I added on the precounted nutrition info it was still way off.
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options

Maybe they're slimming down (like many of us here) but aren't at their goal yet?
    Maybe that cashier used to be 500lbs and couldn't get out of bed? Maybe she's THRILLED to have a job where she can be a productive member of society again?

This!
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's a dangerous rope to walk on if you're doing the kind of practices you spoke of--you're just asking to be sued. And based on what I read about MS, it doesn't seem like there are many fit people in that state. I'm sure it's typical/expected.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    FYI: most of what subway sells is not healthy. A lot of it is lower cal, but it is all processed stuff, full of chemicals and sodium. Other than plain veggies i would have trouble finding anything healthy on their menu.

I cold cut sub is worse than most burgers, and their breads are full of chemicals.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I see your point, however I MUCH rather have an overweight person do my sandwich then a skinny person, because they don't put anything on it! I know this might seem like a gross over exaggeration, but, my boyfriend goes to subway about 5 times per week and has noticed if a thin girl makes his meal, he has to ask repeatedly for more lettuce and other veggies but rarely has troubles with a bigger person. I have noticed this as well; even though I don't go quite as often.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should put all the people that only wear the 0 or 2's up front and then hide all the rest in the back *hides in the back with all the rest of the ugly sized 3 and up*
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Word! I used to work for Subway and am thankful they don't discriminate. But yeah, I agree with everyone else about Subway not being healthy. This is common knowledge with most people I know.
  • alexmommy
    alexmommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    AMEN

• HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It's a dangerous rope to walk on if you're doing the kind of practices you spoke of--you're just asking to be sued. And based on what I read about MS, it doesn't seem like there are many fit people in that state. I'm sure it's typical/expected.

I find that to be very sad.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Subway promotes such a healthy lifestyle, but their food is just as loaded with calories as any other fast food restaurant! You have to be extremely careful with what you order there. Even when you think you're eating healthy, you may not be.

This. I had to SCOUR the website before choosing a sub that wouldnt bust my allowance. Subway does NOT = healthy.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

EXACTLY. Just because they have a handful of subs with lower calories, the vast majority of their menu is sodium laden, fatty stuff with all sorts of additives and preservatives. Subway = fast food, not healthy food.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I agree that subway promotes a healthy lifestyle, but if you arent careful of what you order you can easily have a sandwich that is over 1,000 cals. So if the people they hire are not careful they could gain weight working at subway especially if they eat the chips and drink soda all day. Hopefully those people you saw have lost weight since working there.
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Actually, there's a lot of controversy surrounding Abercrombie's hiring practices and the image they're pushing, particularly in regards to how they market that image to younger people. Just because someone is beautiful and thin doesn't mean they're healthy - I'm sure there are larger people on this site who could run circles around skinny Abercrombie sales people.

Please keep in mind that it's really not okay to judge the state of someone's health based on their size, and it's great that Subway realizes that it's not acceptable to discriminate against those who don't fit into the thin privileged white kid mold.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I find that to be very sad.

I totally agree with this...we live in MS (at least until September) and I do think I have seen more overweight people here then I did growing up in CA and MT. I think it has a lot to do with the "fried food" mentality a lot of people here have. They will fry just about anything you can name down here in the South.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Amen. I hadn't realized this until I started getting newsletters from Women'sHealth Magazine. They did an e-mail on unhealthy "fast food" sandwiches and Subway's 6" Sweet Chicken Teriyaki sandwich was on it because while it has less than 350 calories, it has a whopping 1010 mg of sodium! And it's the sandwich that The Biggest Loser keeps promoting constantly. YIKES!

Edited to correct calories, meant to type 350, no 50!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

So true!! I've noticed that too.