• TisMeMuse
    TisMeMuse Posts: 16
    Options
    ;)
  • SuzMac1981
    SuzMac1981 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Hey, fatties need jobs too, ya know.

Maybe they're slimming down (like many of us here) but aren't at their goal yet?
    Maybe that cashier used to be 500lbs and couldn't get out of bed? Maybe she's THRILLED to have a job where she can be a productive member of society again?

Maybe some brands aren't full of superficial punks like A&F.

AMEN!!!!!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Stuff like that doesn't bother me. I see your point, but it's a non-factor regarding where I eat. Anyone who looks at the workers being overweight and changes their mind to eat there (when there are obviously healthy choices at Subway) has some serious issues. They either have meals there that fits within your diet (I personally don't eat there) or they don't. How their workers look have no baring on that.
  • flamnfrekelz
    Options
    I just ate a delicious lunch at subway and noticed that one employee was morbidly obese (at the cash register sitting down because she could hardly walk) and the rest were overweight (with the exception of 1 employee who seemed "average.") I know that subway couldn't NOT hire these people for being big because of discrimination and huge lawsuits, but doesn't it kind of affect the brand? Subway is known for being healthy but these employees contradict the message.

Abercrombie hires people who are "beautiful and thin" without even asking them interview questions.. they literally see someone beautiful and ask if they want a job... by hiring these people they are playing up the fact that the brand is made for skinnier and prettier people (they even put the size 0's and 2's at eye level, whereas the biggest sizes are at the top!) No one ever says anything about that so I'm wondering about subway. Maybe it's because I live in MS (the state with the most overweight people) so it goes somewhat unnoticed? thoughts?

I'm not trying to be rude it's just something I noticed. Hopefully subway is encouraging these employees to be healthier.

I dont really think that you need to be policing others for their unhealthy living...for all you know they suffer from a medical condition that prevents then from being thin like other people. I doubt you would want them to come into your job and talk trash on you.

i think it boils down to the good o' rule: IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. because as much as you are claiming to not want to sound rude....IT CAME OUT RUDE!
  • vibrant80
    vibrant80 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just find it a little contradictory that they would hire unhealthy people. And I understand that everyone should have a job and I'm glad they don't discriminate, but still...
    Um, nooo...you find it contradictory that they would hire overweight people. Unless you have magic x-ray eyes that can tell a person's blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc. at a glance.
    Hey, fatties need jobs too, ya know.

Maybe they're slimming down (like many of us here) but aren't at their goal yet?
    Maybe that cashier used to be 500lbs and couldn't get out of bed? Maybe she's THRILLED to have a job where she can be a productive member of society again?

Maybe some brands aren't full of superficial punks like A&F.

Word.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    In my view, subway is always gonna be better than hitting the dollar menu at mcdonald's. Some people are on the go and just need to grab a bite to eat on their lunch break, so they try their hardest to pick the next best thing to eat when they don't have any healthy dinner leftovers, so subway it is.
    As for the sodium? Drink your water, duh.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I worked at Subway one summer and every night we had made our own subs to take home and they were very unhealthy!! Two different sauces or more, three meats, two types of cheeses and they were all footlongs. No to mention free chips and soda. The management encourages you to take the leftover cookies as well!! So yeah I'm not suprised at all that all the staff was overweight and obese. Most of the skinny people that worked there gained weight before they moved on to other jobs.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I know you're not TRYING to be rude but its comments like these that give overweight people a reason to feel uncomfortable in public. She's making a sandwich for goodness sake, if it bothers you that much make yourself one at home :)!
  • jeannette120
    jeannette120 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's people like you who judge everyone on appearance that make people like me afraid to go out of the house. Don't eat there if the overweight staff offend you.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think it's really discouraging how some people on this site diss people who are a smaller size. That's no different than someone talking badly about you because you're not a size 2. It goes both ways, people.

????? The original post seemed to be criticizing Subway for hiring LARGER people...that was what I found "discouraging". Why no mention of the original comment? Personally, I find it hard to understand why anyone cares what size employees of any business are unless you find them distasteful or that their size is affecting their performance. If so, eat/go somewhere else.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Subway is a healthiER fast food option, but it doesn't mean that everything you eat there is healthy. You can order a footlong meatball sub, extra cheese, a regular soda, and two cookies and eat more calories than most of us can eat in a whole day. Also, my subway has a mix of people with all sorts of fitness levels. I think it just means that it's a restaurant like any other.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I plan my subway sandwichs down to a t as well. no cheese, no mayo, no oil, certain veggies, but even the lowest cal meat sandwich--the turkey, is sooo much sodium. the ham is even more--almost your entire days worth of sodium in one sandwich, and the roast beef has lower sodium then both of them but then is the highest calorie one; i dont go for anything with multiple meats or anyhting because sausages and such r all salty; all the sauces is salty. all processed foods.

Biggest loser promoting certain sandwichs doesnt surprize me! I just got a biggest loser cookbook, all excited, and then started looking at recipes and although recipes call for lower sodium items in some, all recipes just about use words like "salt, to taste" and use pre-made store bought sauces (high salt levels), and call for low sodium soy sauce (still 500mg sodium per serving of it)... Biggest loser does not care about salt. I ahvent salted food in 4 months, but the biggest loser wants me to add salt to food? WTF.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I NEVER SAID THE STAFF OFFEND ME. It was a simple question of why a fast food chain who claims to promote healthy lifestyles would hire obese people. It doesn't make sense besides the fact that they don't want to be sued for discrimination.

PLUS... check out my profile. I weigh 217lbs, I'm not skinny so obviously these people don't offend me. It was an observation, my god. I also go into stores where there are only super skinny, modelesque staff because they sell designer clothes, but does that offend me? no. I'm not small but it doesn't bother me, just as the overweight subway employees don't bother me.

I'm not an uneducated eater who just barges into subway and grabs a sandwich with bacon, mayo and 5 cheeses. I pre-plan what I eat there so it fits within my calories. And I understand about sodium content, etc which is why I only eat there when it's in my sodium/calorie/everything else allowance.
  • deedee3732
    deedee3732 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My daughter works at Subway here in NC, and she is very, very fit. She chose Subway to work at because although she had been offered some jobs at other restaurants (she's 17) , Subway isn't as greasy as most. That being said, after looking up the nutrition info, I choose to eat there if I'm out and I need something to eat because I think it has better options. Also, there is a TCBY at her Subway and I LOVE the frozen yogurt. I am trying to clean up my diet though, so I have a cooler by the door now, and try to remember to take it with me wherever I go.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    jobs need to be about skills not looks, i dont care who hands me a sandwich as long as i get what im paying for, im not eating no ones body or face or even care to look at, hope more subways had drive thrus.... plz stop judging people on looks!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I see your point, however I MUCH rather have an overweight person do my sandwich then a skinny person, because they don't put anything on it! I know this might seem like a gross over exaggeration, but, my boyfriend goes to subway about 5 times per week and has noticed if a thin girl makes his meal, he has to ask repeatedly for more lettuce and other veggies but rarely has troubles with a bigger person. I have noticed this as well; even though I don't go quite as often.

Interesting observation... and rather ironic given you are posting on a fitness forum. I suspect the reason most of us here are overweight is because we think larger portions are normal.

He should be thankful to the thinner person who isn't trying to give him an overabundance of food, this attitude is what made us fat in the first place!

PS. I don't expect people working in a particular shop to live on that food all their life. Of course they are going to reflect the range of sizes in your community. If there are lots of overweight people where you live, they are the people who are going to be working in the shops.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

Interesting observation... and rather ironic given you are posting on a fitness forum. I suspect the reason most of us here are overweight is because we think larger portions are normal.

He should be thankful to the thinner person who isn't trying to give him an overabundance of food, this attitude is what made us fat in the first place!

So true!!!! Although I can never get those buggers to put enough lettuce in my wraps. lol.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Until joining here I had never heard of anyone thinking of Subway as healthy. They certainly don't present themselves as a healthy choice over here in the UK - because they aren't! Sandwiches are sandwiches, they aren't health food. I mean, they aren't the worst thing in the world, but they are just normal. Why are they perceived as healthy?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Another thought. As over 68% of Americans are overweight or obese, if food places only hired people of a healthy weight, they'd have a very limited pool to choose from. And where would all the overweight people work?

Edit, I said 63% to start with as I could only find stats from 2007. Apparently it's 68% now.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You don't go into subway for health tips or advice, you go to get some food. The size of the person serving doesn't affect the food you get. You'd have more right to complain about the size of your servers if they were dishing out dietary advice.

People are seriously naive if they really think subway is healthy. It has some lower calorie food but then so does alot of places. Doesn't mean it's healthy.