The almost creepy but not quite creepy neighbor.

Options
124»

Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    He has every right to be outside in his own yard.
    That's where he finds solitude as well.
    Maybe you are invading his space? :huh:
    Perhaps he is introverted and anti-social as well.
    You should leave him alone.
    If it were me I'd say "Hi" at least.
    Your complaining about someone that you don't even know.
    Get a Grip.
  • Cp731
    Options
    Thankfully, in the two years since I posted this, my wimpy hedge stepped up it's game, grew a few feet, plusmerged with my honeysuckle vine, so I don't have the problem any more.

Did you ever bother to say "Hello?"
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Or you could just suck it up. You're a hottie. Guys like to look at hotties. THats how it works.

Yea, sometimes you want privacy. Sucks living in the city, eh? He's not doing anything wrong, and complaining to his wife will just make you seem insecure and paranoid.

Not trying to be rude... but honestly. Buy a bigger hedge if it really bothers you that much. Or setup a shade tent on his side of the pool.

Who cares what guys like to look at? She's not here for some dude's wet dream.

OP: Just get a set of balls and tell him your backyard is your private space. You'll be happy to chat if you see him out front, but your backyard is private. Smile & thank him for understanding.

I have a nice neighbor next door who loves to chat. She's lonely, but it's not my job to entertain her. I've said to her what I told you to say. When I'm out front or working in my flower beds, let's chat. But when I'm in my private yard in a bikini (or anything for that matter), I'm not going to chat. Period. Set your boundries.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Thankfully, in the two years since I posted this, my wimpy hedge stepped up it's game, grew a few feet, plusmerged with my honeysuckle vine, so I don't have the problem any more.

D'oh!!!! [/nevermind]
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    put up the big private property sign and go to home depot and buy a real fence

This ^^^ Or plant bamboo or butterfly bushes. They will grow like crazy and make a jungle screen.
  • lostdogg
    lostdogg Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Well nevermind....................
    As to chasingpavement:
    Point taken. I think for the most part, for me for sure, I assumed that he was coming over and initiating conversation that made her uncomfortable. Not once did I think to ask if he stayed in his space or who initiated conversation. Being on the other side of this of a situation similar to this and being told that my innocent chat was unwelcome maybe I should have thought to ask that first. Either way, problem resolved. Maybe anyone else having issues like this can benifit none the less.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Get a Grip.

That's kind of funny, because you're complaining about someone (me) that YOU don't even know. :laugh:

I've lived here fifteen years. I know him. I know he's a very chatty man. I do talk to him. I'm not close to him, but we chit chat from time to time.

I just don't want to talk when I'm in my pool, trying to read. I always kind of thought a nose in a book was a universal signal for "this is me time."
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I'm like you. Very antisocial with my neighbors. It's not because I decided to buy a house in a location that I like that I should talk to everyone who lives in the neighborhood. Creeps stay away!
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    Omg! That sucks! I hate people like that. I'm relatively introverted too and unless I start a conversation with someone, I usually don't want to have one. But like you said, some people just don't take the clues.

He's not nearly as creepy as my neighbors, though. There's an old couple across the street from me in their 80s and the lady sits out on her porch and spies on everyone with her binoculars. It's creepy going outside to get the mail and she's staring at me through binoculars from across the street. Lol.

Oh man! Buy some binocular and spy on her spying on you! Enjoy her face when she realizes what's happening!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I suggest headphones or bringing a radio out and playing it near your head just loud enough so you have to scream "WHAT?!" after everything he says. :)

Edit: I'm also extremely introverted, so I COMPLETELY feel your pain and have become an expert at avoiding others!
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    My father in law is that way, always watching whenever we leave and comeback, did I mention that my in laws live across the road? So, ok, I have tankini swimsuits, and yeah a kiddie pool, not quite as big as yours, but out I go, and I pull up the tank part to right under my girls, and at 304 pounds, it ain't pretty, up walks my father in law. For no reason, just to shoot the breeze. All the while, I'm wishing he would just leave.

Finally one day, I said something to my mother in law, along the lines of while I enjoy visiting, I really would rather he wait until I am clothed, and come over. He stopped coming over when my husband isn't home. Still comes over too much for my liking, but at least he waits until hubs is home.

Aaaaaaahhhhhh! I'm so sorry your in- laws live so close! That would be my nightmare!
  • jennifershoo
    Options

D'oh!!!! [/nevermind]

D'oh indeed!!! Who keeps bumping old threads? I always get caught! *facepalm* :laugh:
  • Cp731
    Options
    Get a Grip.

That's kind of funny, because you're complaining about someone (me) that YOU don't even know. :laugh:

I've lived here fifteen years. I know him. I know he's a very chatty man. I do talk to him. I'm not close to him, but we chit chat from time to time.

I just don't want to talk when I'm in my pool, trying to read. I always kind of thought a nose in a book was a universal signal for "this is me time."

Trust me, I don't have the energy to "complain" about you or too you. :ohwell:
    You missed my point entirely.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I don't have the energy to "complain" about you or too you. :ohwell:
    You missed my point entirely.

Obviously. :indifferent:
  • falcon367
    falcon367 Posts: 116
    Options
    I hear they're looking for volunteers to go to Mars. Just sayin ...
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Ignore him, and if he starts conversation, just say, sorry I really want to read this 'xxxxxx'can we visit another time? I know, easier said than done. The umbrella comment looks doable too.

That is what I would do.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I live in an apartment and my next door neighbor always wants to hang out and talk. He isn't quite so old but even so, I have my own set of friends and otherwise like to be left to myself. I wish I knew what to do because he always catches my whenever I walk out of my place. Perhaps you can put up a lattice behind your shrubs to help with piracy and to fill in sparse areas.

Why did you necro a 2 year-old thread?