What is the Key to sticking to your weight loss plan?

Options
Try, Try, Try again. Here I go.:flowerforyou: Is there anybody out there with a bit of guidance for me? What is the key to sticking to a weight loss plan? It is so easy to go back to those old eating habits even when you know that it is horribly bad for you.

Replies

• www_getfitrx_com
    Options
    For me ... it was all about focusing on my decisions ... every decision is either right or wrong for your health.

Keep asking over and over until it works ... Is this the best decision for my happiness and health? Eventually you'll get it ... it just takes a while to build strength ...
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Taking it one day at a time :)
  • SueV3
    SueV3 Posts: 4
    Options
    To my mind, sticking with a weight loss plan is about loving yourself enough to want to be healthy. It is about loving your family enough to want to be around them as many years as possible, in the best health so that you can enjoy each other. Looking at the old ways of eating as The Enemy of All That works for me. I will no longer give an inch to something that wants to kill me and steal my joy!!
  • Brittany1414
    Options
    I have a picture from 30lbs ago hanging infront of my elliptical machine LOL
    Everytime I get tired and wanna stop I look at that picture and it snaps me back in to work out mode
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    for me the end goal is my motivation and probably the only things keeping me from eating a big fat cheeseburger right now (although on saturday I will for my date night with my hubby lol)

my motivation came from loosing 70 lbs then getting pregnant 6 months later and gaining 80. I only lost 35 after he was born because 5 months later I found out I was pregnant again and I was 20 lbs heavier the day he was born than I was when my oldest was born and I just couldn't take it anymore so I told myself I HAVE TO GET THIS WEIGHT OFF.
    so every time I feel like I want to eat something I shouldn't or not go to the gym I remember how I felt 8 1/2 months ago when My youngest was born
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It ALL comes from with in. If you REALLY want it. YOU will find a way. If you don't, you will find EVERY excuse.
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I think it is realizing that this is a journey! You are going to have good and bad days and thats ok. The trick is not letting it turn into days 3, 4, 5, 6. Also don't deprive yourself of the things that you once loved, everything is fine in moderation. When you feel yourself slipping remember why you are doing this...
  • Gojira74
    Gojira74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Think of this as a process of learning a new way to eat. It really sounds cliche, but you are learning a new skill. Don't focus on the failures. You will eventually be able to sit down and eat without a seconds thought and make the right choices. It just takes practice like anything else.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not trying to lose it too fast. If I allow myself some wiggle-room food wise, I can still lose it, just slower. Whenever I tried to go all gung-ho (lose two to three pounds per week) I felt too restricted and lost it. This time, aiming to lose one pound per week, has really done a lot for me. :)
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    For me, it's knowing this is a lifestyle change and not a diet:) It's all about habits too. Keep logging your food, making healthy choices and drinking lots of water until it's habit like breathing. Don't buy junk foods so that you aren't tempted to sneak in the kitchen and make bad food choices. Do something active everyday. When I first started I hadn't been doing ANY kind of exercise for a long time so just take baby steps. Start out with something easy that you enjoy. Also know we didn't put on this weight overnight, just be patient and enjoy the journey. You CAN do this!!!
  • lisapickering
    Options
    PLANNING!! I make a meal plan for the week, make a grocery list from this plan and eat what's on the plan. If I hadn't done this I would not have been successful. I like to exercise so this isn't an issue for me, but I guess you could do the same thing for your workouts, plan when you're going to go and what you're going to do.... and DO IT!

When I started looking at it like this it was really simple and it worked.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The key to my success is ALWAYS.BEING.PREPARED. The word 'plan' says it all. If I already decided what I will eat and when.... if I already decided what workout I will do and at what time.... if I have everything I need available.... all I have to do is execute my plan. Yes, make a plan and stick to it! It works!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    For me, the biggest thing is setting goals that you can achieve. They may not be the ideal goal, but set sights too high and you're doomed to failure.

Once you get into the habit of succeeding, it becomes second nature; it becomes, well habit.

Mostly, it takes time.

But _do_ set goals. Know where you want to be in 5 weeks and plan how you intend to do it.

Good luck!
  • pbolton16
    pbolton16 Posts: 87
    Options
    One day at a time!!!
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Make each choice an independent choice. Make the right decision and the results will follow. DOnt blow off the day due to one bad meal, and don;t blow the weekend because of one day. Stop regroup and get back on track!
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It is unfortunately complicated.

I have had to identify what parts of my diet trip me up ( "unhealthy cravings') and the causes ("stress","fatigue","boredom","sadness").

Once I did that, I tried substituting other foods for the ones I craved. Honestly, it didn't work. I was craving what I was craving.

I've been looking for the best solution for years, and finally came across a website (and book) about the 17-Day Diet by Dr. Mike Moreno. His stuff made sense, so I committed to it.

Within a week, all my cravings had ceased. It seems that intake of starches (good or bad!) is my problem. I'm still following the Accelerate cycle of his diet, and I'm feeling good and seeing tremendous results. My daily diet has taken on a sort of pattern, so it is easier to know what I can have when -- I just vary it a little from day to day.

Since I am in it for the long-term, I have made sure to include one treat (however small!) every day that rewards me for my efforts. It is usually a snickers mini ice cream bar.

Good luck! It's a journey.
  • TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    My key, is to keep my health under wraps(im diabetic, and no it isnt a death sentence) and to hopefully some day have a decent body thats appealing :)
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My secret is to not think of it as a weight loss plan. This is how I will eat for the rest of my life. There will be times where I'll have something that's higher in calories, but then I'll go right back to eating what's best for me. People who are in shape eat cookies, cake and ice cream, because they burn it off. Start burning and eventually you will be able to eat those things as well without sabotaging yourself. Put exercise and eating together and let them motivate each other. Also, I incorporate what I love to eat into my food plan, that way I satisfy any cravings and accept the consequences of my decisions. You didn't put the weight on overnight, so don't think you'll take it off overnight. There will be no magical day or time when you're all done. If you do this right, it's forever.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Moderation.
    If I want pizza for dinner then I have pizza for dinner. But I get a thinner crust & healthier toppings and have 1 or 2 pieces instead of 3 or 4. If I want ice cream I have ice cream- but a 1/2cup serving instead of a 1/2 container serving.
    There's no way I could stick to this if I had to deprive myself, I just don't have that kind of will power.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I find the key is to make it a lifestyle, not a short term diet. Have what you want but in moderation and eat clean 80-90% of the time.