What is the Key to sticking to your weight loss plan?

Options
2»

Replies

• YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I put on my bikini and look at myself in the mirror every once in a while. That sure makes me stick to my weight loss plan!! lol
  • Sheloa
    Sheloa Posts: 2
    Options
    Determination is the key for me and a made up mine. It is not hard when you have those thing. Make sure your exercis is something you enjoy and you will sick to it
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    What success I have had to date has been due to routine. I have an exercise routine and an eating routine. Since I have been sticking to both I have been dropping weight and getting stronger.
    Note: My eating routine is not eating the same thing everyday. It is more a routine of choosing healthier foods to eat and being aware of my calorie & sodium consumption.

Good Luck!
  • SunshineMel
    Options
    I agree with ygrad 100%! Get back on track after a missed workout or unhealthy meal as the same day if possible, this behavior demonstrates self-respect and helps to stay focused for the long haul. I also agree that planning ahead (having your gear ready and having quick healthy food available) is important .
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Fine tune it as you go:

It's difficult to change everything all at once, so start by changing 1-2 things per week. Maybe cut out soda one day and fast food the next week. Change sugary cereal to oatmeal the next. Get rid of the potato chips and do almonds instead another week. Walk 1 block further every week. Add 2 pounds to your weights every week. Add 5 minutes to your cardio time every week. Do it slowly, but DO IT.

Don't eliminate anything completely:

Find healthy alternatives to your favorite foods so you don't feel deprived. Give yourself a week off every few months and eat at maintenance (this also helps you learn what maintenance looks like). Dark chocolate is a lovely way to end the day :bigsmile: .

Keep a record of what you're doing:

Whether it be photos of your progress, mini-goals, graphs and charts like I do, or a blog...keep something to look at when you're feeling discouraged, so you can see the progress you've already made. And remember, we cannot defy physics, if we eat at a deficit....we WILL lose weight. Just be patient and persevere.
  • fitkyriel
    fitkyriel Posts: 29
    Options
    For me, sticking to the routine is actually making it a routine. Schedule it in. Make it a necessity, just as it's a necessity to eat, shower, brush your teeth and sleep. You no longer get up at 6:00am. Your new lifestyle is getting up at 5:00am. Don't be negative, like "This workout is hard" or "I can't eat a double decker hamburger with bacon cheese and mayo with crunchy french fries" ... be positive! "This workout is making me stronger, it will be easier next time I do this!" or "I'm glad I'm not eating that double decker hamburger with bacon cheese and mayo with crunch french fries... my grilled salmon and steamed vegetables is going to make me feel SO GOOD!" lol.
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    DONT EXPECT MIRACLES-- THE WEIGHT DIDNT COME ON OVERNIGHT AND IT WONT COME OFF OVERNIGHT.
    SLOW CHANGES-- DONT SHOCK UR BODY, IT WILL REBELL
    DONT DPRIVE YOUSELF--IF YOU JUST HAVE TO HAVE WHAT YOU KNOW YOU SHOULDNT, SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE.
    KEEP A POSITIVE MIND -- DONT LET YOUR SLIP UPS KEEP U DOWN, JUST TRY TO FIND OUT WHAT TRIGGERED UR BAD DECISION AND MOVE FORWARD--THIS IS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE AND YOU HAVE TO LEARN THROUGH TRIAL AND ERROR TO GET BETTER.

I HOPE THIS HELPS
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I really think you just have to make the decision to make the changes necessary and then keep to those decisions.

I've decided:

Stay within my calorie goal - make the calories I consume count
    Don't let people convince me to "just have some, its just this once" when it comes to food that I know will throw me off track
    Not to feel bad if I have to eat separately to eat right (this is hard at family dinners or potlucks, and have had to bring my own meal at times or have my food cooked separately)
    Exercise regularly (just about every day!)

Just these few conscience decisions that I stick to have really made the process doable.

Good luck!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Before pics and a naturally fat free friend that makes me sick and all she talks about is weight and blah blah blah. I will be thin and fit one day and I will show her. Nah really it is for me to feel better about me. I say "I will not give up what I want most for, for what I want for the moment!" Helps most of the time, not everytime, but we can't be perfect and when I do mess up, I just say I will do better tomorrow and I go ahead and plan what I will eat tomorrow and fill my day full of healthy choices and I do my very best to stick to them.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It ALL comes from with in. If you REALLY want it. YOU will find a way. If you don't, you will find EVERY excuse.

Truth!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    It ALL comes from with in. If you REALLY want it. YOU will find a way. If you don't, you will find EVERY excuse.

Amen. You have to truly want it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My keys are...

Having NOTHING at all off limits. If nothing is off limits, I'm not "failing" or "cheating" when I have something that's not necessarily good for me. Like pizza. :happy: I have half a rising crust DiGiorno or Freshetta at least once a week.

Making the calories work for me. If busting my butt running 5 miles means the difference between eating bunny food or pretty much whatever I want, gimme a second to lace up my sneakers!

Realizing that eating well and exercise isn't punishment for gaining weight and being a sloth. It's the ultimate reward and way to show how much I love myself.

Eating enough. I previously thought that losing weight just meant eating less. So I mistakenly thought that I'd lose more if I l ate less. I starved myself, felt weak and miserable, didn't have much progress, and quit. This time, I'm eating plenty, have had great progress, and I have energy out the wazoo!

Non-scale goals. When I started, I didn't even care about weight loss, because I thought my body was at it's "happy weight" and that wasn't going to change. I only wanted to be healthy and strong enough to run a 5k. Now, I'm down almost 30 pounds, look better than I looked in my 20s (I'm 39) and I'm gearing up for my first 10k next weekend! If I was doing all this just for some vanity pounds, I'd have quit a long time ago. But it was about my health, and that's what kept me motivated.

A tripod and a camera with a self-timer. I can't always see the changes in my body in the mirror, since it happens gradually, but it's hard to miss in side by side photo comparisons.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I imagine myself to be at my goal. (I am FAAAAR from it) but doing this in my mind makes it easier for me to make better choices. I eat for the body I want, not the one I have. :)

Also I just keep going. No matter the slip up, I regroup and begin again. A couple of bad choices doesnt have to be a downwards spiral.