"WTGs" when someone completes their diary

Options
EricMurano
EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
I'm not posting this out of spite, hate or a feeling of righteousness.

I've noticed that when someone completes their food diary with a calorie deficit people will often post "WTG" or "Well done!" as encouragement. That's great and I think that helps people a lot. It's also an indication that people are good and are thinking of other's success in a positive light.

What I've also noticed is that sometimes a WTGer (someone that posts encouragement) will not check the food diary before posting the encouragement. I've done this too! I checked a friend's diary yesterday and I noticed that they had eaten a bowl of oat meal for breakfast, another bowl of oatmeal for lunch, no dinner and 700 calories worth of vodka.

I drink too, that's fine, but I won't skip dinner just so I can drink! Nor should anyone. I believe that if you've blown your calorie budget for the day by lunch time you should still try to have a proper dinner with vegetables etc.

Am I overreacting? I really don't want to encourage people for starving themselves or having a 'liquid diet'. This stuff feels like it's so close to anorexia that it's almost frightening to encourage it!

Thoughts?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think you hit it on the head: if you didn't check the diary, don't comment.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    maybe that person is a alcoholic and the 2 bowls of oatmeal is good compared to more vodka??? IDK but I agree with your post.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Funny that you brought this up because last night i was going through my list and checked out some peoples diaries to see how they are doing. and one of my friends ate 3 snacks all day, no real meals and had a deficit of 700 leftover. I commented that she should eat more or she is going to just pass out and not lose weight. There were a few comments before me congratulating her.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I won't give them a "WTG" if they stayed under calories but got all of their calories from Burger King (or other crap-food joint). Sure, they are under their calorie goal, but it doesn't justify eating crap, and goes against their goals for losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Having said that, I will make a fun joke about whatever they ate. I still want my friends knowing someone's keeping them accountable. :smile:
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I always comment positively on diaries of my friends, but i always check their diaries, will say well done but you need to eat a bit more if under, tell them off if they've skipped a meal and my most common thing is doing great on the food but wheres the water - actually seeing what you are congratulating is key to being supportive I think :-)
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I'm guilty I guess...but I always say something positive just because the person is here and is logging in. I think it's great they are being held accountable for what they consumed during the day and that they are being honest enough to record it. But that's just me being optimistic I suppose! :laugh:
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you, I know personally I have been a WTGer and also one of those people that has a massivbe binge day and the thought of those red numbers makes me want to cry so I miss a meal or have a cup of green tes.

Eating healthy is not just about staying under a number it is about eating blanced! Eating 1200 cals worth of chocolate a day is not cool even if u do stay under your goal, it needs to be about eating realisticly and for the long term.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I feel the same I was ill a few weeks ago and had about 6 dry biscuits all day and someone ( now deleted) said what a great day !!!! I never comment until I have read the diary .
  • vodkaswigger
    vodkaswigger Posts: 467
    Options
    maybe that person is a alcoholic and the 2 bowls of oatmeal is good compared to more vodka??? IDK but I agree with your post.

haha! love it xx
  • SunnyDispo619
    Options
    Funny, I had thought the same thing one day when I was congratulating someone for sticking with their logging...It occurred to me that I had not looked at their diary, and maybe they had eaten nothing but Big Mac's. I agree with your comments, but I decided to continue with the encouragement for their dedication in at least logging food, and I hope that their next step will be to make better choices.
  • breskittle
    breskittle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    hah, thats kind of funny - yay! wtg u had oatmeal and vodka ALL DAY! some type of new liver/colon cleanse?

I totally agree with you. besides, its not always good to be under your calories. One day I was sick and ate nothing but bread and crackers that totalled about 500 calories and my friends were like wtg! you're under! i kinda felt like my friends werent really paying attention and just blindly encouraged ppl.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I agree - at least take the time to review their diary. Personally I wish there was a setting to remove that "John Doe completed their food diary...etc..." I don't care if my friends want to review my food journal, but sometimes I'll enter in breakfast/lunch/dinner plus my exercise first thing in the AM and than have to make adjustments later in the day, than my page looks all cluttered, drives me nuts! LOL
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I have someone who is pretty much starving themselves and when someone says something negative, all hell breaks lose. Then they askes for help wondering why they cant lose weight. I cant support someone like that. I always check before I comment and if I bother at all.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Very true. But I too will be hones. I will bank some of my calories if I know I am going to drink. But I certainly will not starve myself to get it done. That is just careless and dangerous. Keep up the observation. Good work.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I admit - usually I dont check. I check at the beginning, when I add someone, or when I suspect someone might be undereating (according to me). Im not expert but I just dont feel comfortable having people who eat so little in my friend list. Its "my thing".
    And I admit - sometimes I dont eat enough during the day, only to have 500 cals of beer etc. It happens. Its my life. Luckily, its not that often... and usually Im really healthy:)
    I think it just depends on your personal feelings and its your choice who you have on your list - so feel free to delete/add as you want, and dont feel like overreacting!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about that the other day! I only say it if I have looked at their diary and if it's closed then I don't even bother.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    i only congratulate the fact that they actually "completed" the diary. To me that is a big step in itself. Whether they ate 1500 calories of gummy bears or 700 calories worth of vodka:sick:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I check diary first. I think under eating is a MUCH bigger problem on this site than over eating which is funny.
  • wlddove
    wlddove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am so feeling you on this!! I also dislike the encouragement when someone eats below their calories. Especially when it's below 1200. It is nice to be encouraging... but let's not encourage bad behavior.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I usually check the diary first too. I have a few friends that just don't eat enough and I want them to know I am watching LoL.