"WTGs" when someone completes their diary

Options

Replies

• SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I can understand if you are being concerned about how much they might be eating and if you are supporting their menu. As long as you are being positive about helping out one another I say its okay. I just wouldn't like it if someone told me in a negative way "oh well you should eat a lot more or you're not gonna lose the weight" Just say "hey you should throw in some veggies or fruit, etc" Its all about being honest and uplifting, if it bothers you that much though...just ignore it and move on.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I always view my friend's diary before commenting. I never comment when someone has their diary set so I can't see it. In fact I try not to have friends who keep it private. I just don't see the purpose of coming to a social network for help, support, and encouragement if you are going to hide everything you do. I even have a disclaimer on my profile that says, "I am honest and will praise you when you do good and give you constructive criticism when you slip up. If you can't handle my honesty then I am not the friend for you". With that being said, if someone only nets 600 calories or eats pizza for every meal or drinks excessive alcohol I will call them out on it. I don't alway do it where everyone can see it. Sometimes I will send them a private message. No you aren't overreacting. It is important to be honest when we comment and to actually look at each person's diary. Giving a generic "WTG" repeatedly without taking the time to look at a person's diary is not helping anyone.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I agree - at least take the time to review their diary. Personally I wish there was a setting to remove that "John Doe completed their food diary...etc..." I don't care if my friends want to review my food journal, but sometimes I'll enter in breakfast/lunch/dinner plus my exercise first thing in the AM and than have to make adjustments later in the day, than my page looks all cluttered, drives me nuts! LOL

Just don't press the complete entry button! I rarely do... Or you can delete that comment on your wall when it comes up.
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Actually, you have raised an interesting point and I was thinking about this. Some people on this site have lost lots of weight and I've had a peek at their food diaries, and I too have noticed there's a trend among some of skipping meals, or eating lots of processed food.

I think people are responsible for their own actions; but it did make me realise that some people who have lost weight have done it in a way that, perhaps, shouldn't be encouraged. But then, do you encourage it because, after all, they have lost weight and improved their health, or is there an element of thinking yeah, ok, you lost weight but you're still eating a whole lot of crap!

Anyway, the upshot is that I agree with what you've said, although I think the general wtg's and encouragement is mostly just saying well done for not eating your bodyweight in food today, lol!!!
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    Very good point!! The whole thing about losing weight for me is that I want to be healthier. I want to look at food as fuel for my body and not abuse it (my body and the food!). Good luck reaching your goals!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about that the other day! I only say it if I have looked at their diary and if it's closed then I don't even bother.

I just deleted about 30 friends that had their diaries private. I just don't see the point of hiding things. Honesty and taking responsibility for what you eat and how you exercise (and being able to share it) are all part of a lifestyle change.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't usually comment on diaries, mostly because for me that is really personal info. If that makes any sense.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 469
    Options
    i only congratulate the fact that they actually "completed" the diary. To me that is a big step in itself. Whether they ate 1500 calories of gummy bears or 700 calories worth of vodka:sick:

now i want some vodka dipped gummy bears....
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If they have not done so good eating, I will simply post "Good Job Logging"!!
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    For many, especially those just starting out, having completee the diary AT ALL, no matter how "bad" the contents, is an accomplishment. The accountability and being aware of what one ate is truly the first step in this process. WTGs can be very appropriate in those instances.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    With out knowing your 'friend' I don't know if you are 'overreacting'. How well do you know your 'friend'? Are you aware of their eating habits, any problems they may have, or maybe their logging habits?

I try to get to know my friends and their eating habits. I aprpeciate all the variety I have on MFP, and often do not have enough time to go through everyones diary's. As well some people actually keep their diray private, or locked for select few because of judgements ... many of which I have noticed posted here.

In my opinion you should get to know your 'friends' and then be the judge as to what is an overreaction. As well take care how you respond to things, keeping a person's feelings in mind before you type. If their eating habits are not something you can deal with maybe rethink the friendship? Best of wisehs to you and yours! :flowerforyou:
  • Jamazurunner
    Jamazurunner Posts: 132
    Options
    Honestly, I would rather someone NOT comment on my food log if they don't even take a look at it. The general comments don't help me improve my fitness or nutrition, its like telling a kid "nice work" on an essay, or test, but not ever telling them what they can work on.
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    You're awesome! :)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Good point! I got WTG's when I had the stomach flu and couild not keep anything down, so did noit eat much that day. I probably should not have posted my food at all that day, even though I did post that I had the stomach flu under commments. It was just out of habit, but I was way underneath my caloric requiremnet and MFP told me so.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't feel like anyone needs to police anyone else's food consumption or decide what is a good diet and what is not.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If they have not done so good eating, I will simply post "Good Job Logging"!!

I usually do this too. I like to see what folks are eating, it gives me ideas for myself or I ask them a question about something on their list.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I totally agree because if you don't check the diary, you may just be reinforcing unhealthy behavior.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I know that many of my friends on here follow different styles of eating than me (I'm vegan, and eat a LOT of carbs every day, some people eat mostly meat and dairy, some people are "clean" eaters, others eat a lot of Lean Cuisines and such, etc...) so if I look at someone's diary, it usually doesn't look anything like mine, and if they are within their calories, I will give a "WTG".

The only time I ever hesitate to "WTG" is when someone doesn't share their diary, and MFP says "Soandso completed her diary and was under her calorie limit". I don't like to encourage starvation, either, so it's touch to say "WTG" for the hidden diaries.

Otherwise, why not "WTG"? We all eat differently, and maybe your friend with a bunch of oatmeal and vodka actually had that day as a planned day of drinking and fun, and that was in fact a good day for them?

Anyway, to all of you for today: Way To Go!!! :wink:
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't feel like anyone needs to police anyone else's food consumption or decide what is a good diet and what is not.

This. The exception is for people who I know (because they've said so) are on the brink of an ED and have asked for help. Because I've been there myself, I'll look at their diaries once in a while, if they're under calories, and if I see something that concerns me, I'll ask them what's up. Sometimes, though, what looks like a bad day to me is a *good* day for them - so it's not something I tread into lightly.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Agreed!