Since I started tracking my food I have learned...

Options

Replies

• lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    How many calories there are in peas! I LOVE peas :(

Also that I'd rather have a tiny bit of something real and high cal, than go for a 'lite' or processed version and eat double.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    For those concerned with the olive oil...
    1) It's a good fat.
    2) If it's strictly the calories you're worried about, get a Misto ($9.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond, plus you can use a 20% Off coupon on it). When I bought mine, I pumped it up and measured the first spray into a measuring spoon. A full spray (from the time you start pushing until it just sends out air) is only 1/2 teaspoon. Even my largest pans only need 2 sprays to coat them.
    3) It's way healthier than Pam or other non-stick "no calorie" sprays. Read their labeling. They say no calories or fat, but they're basing that on portion size. Seriously, who sprays for 1/4 second? Those items contain hydrogenated oils.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    2 Words: Peanut. Butter. :-(

Dude, peanut butter has been my LIFE SAVER through this. Then again, I can't eat more than a tablespoon of the natural, unsalted stuff, so that helps.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    How many calories there are in peas! I LOVE peas :(

Yeah, but those are good for you, so they're worth it!
  • misstash123
    Options
    I love cheese, and have 2 mindsets about it - it's not worth the calories if it's going *on* something, where I can't taste it too much. However, I will eat that same piece of cheese plain, because I love it so. :love:

Same here, if you can't taste it in the first place it doesnt really need to be there!
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    I have learned that I've NEVER EVER eaten a single serving of cereal -- 1/2 cup. . WTH? No thanks, not worth it. I won't even buy it anymore.

THIS!! every time i try to eat a 'single serving' of cereal i end up eating two. WTH indeed, 1/2 a cup is like NOTHING! lol. altho i have forgone cereal for several months now bc i'd rather have sugar and carbs from more tastey options ;-)
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    2 Words: Peanut. Butter. :-(

Unfortunately.. yes. :(
    My only saviour is baking breakfast muffins with PB in them, because PB2 and those weird peanut butter substitues make me feel weary of how good they are.. or if they are really food.
    Anyways, incorporate like 4 tablespoons of peanut butter in your next muffin recipe. I like doing some flour, whole oats, apple sauce (for eggs), 1/2 banana (instead of oil), PB, baking soda, 1/4 cup (if at all) of agave syrup or brown sugar, and cinnamon + nutmeg. Adding some whole fruit like currants or raisins is nice too. Bake 'em up.. and you get the PB flavor while still keeping it under control portion wise. ;D
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I like most sugar-free foods/drinks. I have also to learned asking for water at a resturant then taking 2 sips (not gulps) of my bf's regular soda will satisfy any craving I have for soda. I don't do the diet stuff any more makes my tummy hurt.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A supposedly healthy Protein bar has about the same amount of calories as a snickers, with a little extra added protein ! :)

Great thread.

Debbie

Oh no I shouldnt have read that! :happy:
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I could kill a 35oz jar of peanut butter in less than 2 weeks. Now, I just look at it. And I'm like..."I love you, but I don't have room for you in the diary today, I'm sorry, friend" LoL. It's a tragic relationship!
  • Dijon360
    Dijon360 Posts: 19
    Options
    ...that an oatmeal raisin cookie is simply not worth the 35mins on the elliptical to earn the calories back.
  • Taicort
    Taicort Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    LOL. Fun and smartpost!

I have learned that the only food more deceiving than cheese is hummus! Seriously, why even eat just two tablespoons? ;)

I know!!!! i love hummus and cant sit and eat less that half the container. its easier for me to keep my house hummus free rather than fight temptation. bummer.....
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    I'm not so much worried about the calories as I am the sodium in cheese. I always have enough calories for some good cheesy lovliness. But Holy salty goatscrew, Batman!!

"Holy salty goatscrew, Batman!!" HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Taicort
    Taicort Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have learned that MOST steamed veggies at restaurants are not left in their natural state but drenched in butter and high-sodium seasoning. What is the point of selecting a vegetable as a side when it has just as much sodium as a side of fries??? They can't even bring it to you with no seasoning because everything is pre-packaged. Irritates me to no end. Makes me almost want to bring some raw broccoli with me the next time I dine out and have the server tell the cook to blanch them for me. :)

frequently restaurants will steam there veggies in plastic bags in the microwave.... im not a fan of nuking plastic ANYTHING.
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That Snyders pretzel sticks have TWICE as many calories as Rold Gold per stick!

I've become maybe a little too weird about where my calories come from and no it's not work the 200 calories to have X Y or Z when I can have a bowl of broccoli for a quarter of that and be just as full. I do miss real butter though...oh how i loved butter on nearly everything.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    LOL. Fun and smartpost!

I have learned that the only food more deceiving than cheese is hummus! Seriously, why even eat just two tablespoons? ;)

I know!!!! i love hummus and cant sit and eat less that half the container. its easier for me to keep my house hummus free rather than fight temptation. bummer.....

Publix grocery stores carry hummus in little individual serving packages for those of you that can't seem to stop yourself when you have a big tub in front of you. Sabra also makes little individual packs that come with little pretzel bites.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    chicken breast is my best friend

recently discovered how low cal cucumber is! I ate an entire cucumber with a serving of hummus for 100 calories.

For all the hummus lovers, I found it is a lot easier to overdo it on hummus when eaten with something carby (pita chips). The flavor of the hummus went a long way with the cucumber and I ate A LOT less.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I've NEVER EVER eaten a single serving of cereal -- 1/2 cup. . WTH? No thanks, not worth it. I won't even buy it anymore.

All you need is to get the right type of cereal. Not all cereals are equal (not even close)
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Coffee (with cream and sugar) has so many calories and fat in it. I'm a coffee addict and drink several cups a day. It wasn't until I joined MFP that I realized I can reach 1200 cals a day in coffee alone.

I was like that too, drinking fat free creamer (still a ton calories, just to get flavor) and coffee. I finally kicked the creamer habit :drinker: and add skim milk with Truvia and it has lowered the calories siginficantly allowing me other yuumy foods! :bigsmile: