6(4/2)for6 DVD challenge

Options
fitnfun1
fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
Are you one of those people that have a ton of exercise DVD's on the shelf? I've decided to finally put myself to the challenge of creating a workout schedule for 6 weeks that will use almost all of these DVD's. Please do join me if you want to get in. I technically started Sunday, so you can simply pick-up when you can.

Here's the challenge:

I am going to do 6 days of working out, 4 cardio and 2 strength training each week, for 6 weeks.

I have it mapped out:

Su M T W Th F or Sa (other day off)

Cardio Cardio ST Cardio ST Cardio

I will be rotating among Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Abs, Yoga Booty Ballet, Kettlenetics, Winsor Pilates, my dance cardio DVD's and a few Bob and Jillian DVD's I have picked up along the way.

For this week - Week 1

Sunday: Hike/Kettlebell Done

Monday: Hip Hop Abs Cardio/Kettlebell Done

Tuesday: Turbo Jam Lower Body Done

Wednesday: Hip Hop Cardio Groove

Thursday: Jillian's No More Trouble Zones

Friday or Saturday: Crunch's Dance Party workout

By the end of the 6 weeks, I will have used the majority of DVD's I own, and I will be able to see which ones to keep and which ones to give away to make room for a few new workouts as my prize at the end of 6 weeks.

It would be fun if you can join me and perhaps we can let each other know which DVD's were really effective and which may need to be kicked to the curb.

Replies

• LauraSS
    LauraSS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    :smile: Consider me in. Sundays are strickly for my Mall Walking days though; No DVD and Saturday is my day off. LOL so I am not behind. I am jumping right in. :)

Laura
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Hi Laura,

So great to have you as a buddy on this challenge. I wonder if anyone else wants to join us. Did you want to post the DVD's you are doing? It would be fun to see your schedule for week 1.

I just got finished with Jillian's No More Trouble Zones and it was intense! Because of my foot still needing to slightly heal, I couldn't do all the plank exercises for being on my toes with all that weight, but I still got a very head to toe strength training workout. There was a cardio effect to in certain spots and I was sweating like crazy.

Tomorrow or Saturday I get to dance a little with Crunch's Dance Party. I really like this one so at least it will be fun for the weekend.

Oh, and I finally lost the 2 pounds I gained back. Looks like this type of schedule is working for the 40+ gal! :bigsmile:
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    I strayed one time during week once since I bought a mini-trampoline and couldn't resist trying it out for my workout on Saturday. I ended up taking Friday off since Jillian really had me sore the next day.

Week 2 for me:

Sunday: Hip Hop Abs Cardio
    Monday: Turbo Jam Cardio Party
    Tuesday: Yoga Booty Ballet Basic
    Wednesday: Bob kettle bell cardio shred
    Thursday: Winsor Pilates
    Friday: Walk Your Way Slim

Anyone else out there want to join us? It's never too late to start!
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    If you are a DVD workout fiend - join us by posting your 6 days of workouts here (try for 4 cardio and 2 strength training) and we can trade DVD ideas/reviews while getting a great home workout!
  • mspix
    mspix Posts: 153
    Options
    Hi! I am just starting a DVD workout collection (up until recently I had a gym membership) I also have Netflix, which has some great workouts. So, if you don't mind if I join you with my limited collection, I would love to compare notes and dial in what works best for me!

My DVD's consist of Turbo Jam (love this, though I should have jumped into Fire as it is not quite challenging enough), Piloxing (this one is different, decent workout) and the Booty Barre Workout (haven't tried this one yet).

I will add workouts as I go, if this is okay? I have a eleventy-thousand saved on Netflix...lol, so will adjust as I move through the week.

This week:

Monday: Turbo Jam 20 minute workout (did it twice as the long workout on the DVD is messed up :/)
    Tuesday: Booty Barre
    Wednesday:
    Thursday:
    Friday:
    Saturday: Camping! YAY!
    Sunday: Camping! YAY!

PS: Another 40ish girl here!
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Thank you for joining us mspix! It looks like you have some new workouts to share with us too. I am considering Fire or something up a notch for the same reason.

What is Piloxing and Booty Barre?

Sure, post workouts when you can. I like to post my full week so I won't have to decide during workout time. I am a slow decider. :tongue:

Last week the only workout I might get rid of is the Walk Your Way Slim. It is one of my older workouts and although fairly good, I was a little board with it this time around.
  • mspix
    Options
    Hi!

Piloxing: It is a combination boxing/pilates workout. Not as intense as Turbo, but works different areas. It is a good workout! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pSDFU5oREM

Booty Barre: This one is a ballet/pilates type workout, based on using the barre. I have only done this once, I found it to be more challenging than I expected, mostly due to unfamiliar positions. I also found myself getting frustrated a bit trying to watch and do some of the moves at the same time. I will probably do this one once a week, I don't believe it will make a favorite status, but I do like the challenge.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hst2SRo4DQM

I found both of these on Amazon, fairly priced for under $20 each!
  • mspix
    Options
    My workout schedule this week (tenative, as I can be flaky and change my mind on a dime, lol)

Monday: The 'Burn' portion of Turbo Jam along with the 20 Minute Turbo

Tuesday: Piloxing

Wednesday: Cardio Salsa (this is a Netflix Video)

Thursday: Turbo

Friday: Wildcard (lol)

Saturday: Run Day

Sunday: Free Day
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation mspix. I'll take a look at the YouTube! I had the Cardio Salsa for a while. Let me know if you like it. It is the Crunch DVD, right?

Here is my schedule for this week:

Sunday - Project You: Power Push: Kathy Smith
    Monday - Kettlenetics 20
    Tuesday - Turbo Sculpt
    Wednesday - Turbo Jam Cardio Party (original)
    Thursday - Shape Toning
    Friday or Saturday - Hip Hop Abs Cardio Groove

The Power Push from Project You is still an effective workout. I didn't like the other cardio segments as much, but the toning on Project You as well as the Yoga/Pilates is worth the money if you need a bunch of DVD's all at once.

Kettlenetics is amazing! I can't believe that a 4 pound kettlebell program could make me work. Even the 20 minute gives a good overall workout.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Count me in.:bigsmile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I would love to join. I have tons of exercise DVDs.

Warning: my cardio only comes in 2 flavors: walking & step aerobics. I'm choreographically challenged.

This week's plan:
    Mon - (2 miles) from 3 Mile Slim & Sleek Walk - Leslie Sansone
    Tue - Ageless Staying Strong - Kathy Smith( 2 sections) just received this in a trade, no idea yet
    Wed - Prevention 2 Week Turnaround Cardio - Chris Freytag
    Thu - Hot Body Yoga (weighted section) - Denise Austin
    Fri - Rest Day
    Sat - Go! Step for Beginners - Kari Anderson (or 2 sections of Powerfit on the step)
    Sun - Walk Weightloss Bootcamp - Leslie Sansone
  • mspix
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation mspix. I'll take a look at the YouTube! I had the Cardio Salsa for a while. Let me know if you like it. It is the Crunch DVD, right?

Here is my schedule for this week:

Sunday - Project You: Power Push: Kathy Smith
    Monday - Kettlenetics 20
    Tuesday - Turbo Sculpt
    Wednesday - Turbo Jam Cardio Party (original)
    Thursday - Shape Toning
    Friday or Saturday - Hip Hop Abs Cardio Groove

The Power Push from Project You is still an effective workout. I didn't like the other cardio segments as much, but the toning on Project You as well as the Yoga/Pilates is worth the money if you need a bunch of DVD's all at once.

Kettlenetics is amazing! I can't believe that a 4 pound kettlebell program could make me work. Even the 20 minute gives a good overall workout.
    Yes, the Cardio Salsa is a Crunch production. Tomorrow will be my first run at it, I will let you know what I think. I am hoping I like it, I love Zumba!

Looks like a good workout line up for you this week!

I have looked at Hip Hop Abs, it looks like a fun one, do you enjoy it?
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Do we check in?

DVD: Ageless Staying Strong with Kathy Smith

My Tuesday workout was strength training day. It's a new video for me. The DVD has 4 - 15 minute strength segments (arms, legs, glutes and core) plus a 12 minute stretch segment. I did 3 of the 5 sections: glutes, core, and stretch. It was pretty good actually. Kathy was pretty calm here (sometimes she gets a little excited). She looks incredible for sixty.

Cardio tomorrow - yaaay!
  • mspix
    Options
    Sounds like a good workout, Tea :)
  • mspix
    Options
    Okay, so the cardio salsa on Netflix was not intense enough. Turned it off after ten minutes or so and did Turbo Jam instead. I think I will look into an actual Zumba dvd, as when I took the actual class it was much more of a workout than any of the 'dance' type look-a-likes I have found so far.

Also, because I keep going back to TJ, I went ahead and ordered the 'Punch,Kick, Jam' to add to my collection. I really like Chalene's style and intensity!
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Okay, so the cardio salsa on Netflix was not intense enough. Turned it off after ten minutes or so and did Turbo Jam instead. I think I will look into an actual Zumba dvd, as when I took the actual class it was much more of a workout than any of the 'dance' type look-a-likes I have found so far.

Also, because I keep going back to TJ, I went ahead and ordered the 'Punch,Kick, Jam' to add to my collection. I really like Chalene's style and intensity!

That's the nice thing about Netflix - you're not out anything (except time) - if you don't like a workout. I tend to look up workouts on collagevideo.com before I select a workout. That way there are fewer surprises.... maybe.

10 Minute Solutions has a "Fat Blasting Dance Mix" - it's supposed to be intermediate. I like 10 Minute Solutions Kickbox Bootcamp - but it has a mix of cardio & toning.
  • mspix
    Options

That's the nice thing about Netflix - you're not out anything (except time) - if you don't like a workout. I tend to look up workouts on collagevideo.com before I select a workout. That way there are fewer surprises.... maybe.

10 Minute Solutions has a "Fat Blasting Dance Mix" - it's supposed to be intermediate. I like 10 Minute Solutions Kickbox Bootcamp - but it has a mix of cardio & toning.
    Truly, it is nice to have Netflix, though I do 'streaming only' so it is a bit limited. I like the Kickbox Bootcamp, it really helped me with my form!
    I do have the 'Fat Blasting Dance Mix' in queue...I will give it a try tomorrow!

Thanks for the tip on the website!
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Wed DVD check in:

Prevention 2-Week Turnaround Cardio with Chris Freytag

This is a 2 Mile "walking workout." Technically this very simple choreography, not quite walking. There is a 10 minute yoga add on. There is so much more variety here than with Leslie Sansone.

Mile 1 is called "Power Walk" - handweights are used to keep your heart rate up. I really like that arm movements are deliberate and used throughout. 15 minutes. Mile 2 is called "Interval Walk." Two minutes of walking followed by a 30 second power boost. There is a modifier doing higher impact. The second mile is 17 minutes. The yoga section is great - down dogs, warrior, chair pose. Really nice. My only complaint - the music is not loud enough.
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Yes, the Cardio Salsa is a Crunch production. Tomorrow will be my first run at it, I will let you know what I think. I am hoping I like it, I love Zumba!

Looks like a good workout line up for you this week!

I have looked at Hip Hop Abs, it looks like a fun one, do you enjoy it?

I adore Hip Hop Abs. It is one of my favorites. Shaun T makes me laugh and the workouts fly by. The moves are effective for the abs too.
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Do we check in?

DVD: Ageless Staying Strong with Kathy Smith

My Tuesday workout was strength training day. It's a new video for me. The DVD has 4 - 15 minute strength segments (arms, legs, glutes and core) plus a 12 minute stretch segment. I did 3 of the 5 sections: glutes, core, and stretch. It was pretty good actually. Kathy was pretty calm here (sometimes she gets a little excited). She looks incredible for sixty.

Cardio tomorrow - yaaay!

I've always liked Kathy Smith DVDs. Her strength training is right on the money. She is 60? Incredible!