My mom's death sparked my weight loss of 110 lbs.

Options

Replies

• laceylovespink
    Options
    You look amazing.....thanks for sharing, I love looking at all the progress pics!
  • LtAngela
    LtAngela Posts: 35
    Options
    Today would've been my mom's 53rd birthday. She died at the age of 47 from a massive heart attack. She didn't eat well at all, ate out most days of the week usually twice, and she smoked about 3 packs of cigs a day. All of that, as you can imagine, led her to have a heart attack. She died when my oldest was only 8 months old and just three days before her second grandchild, my nephew, was to be born. She has missed so much in our lives, BUT I took her death on as my motivation to lose my weight. I didn't want my kids to go through the loss like we had. She died way too young, and I WILL NOT do that to my kids!

Here are some pictures followed by my "how I did it"...

260 pounds
    260.jpg

245 pounds
    245pounds.jpg

180 pounds
    S4300115-1.jpg

150 pounds
    155pounds.jpg

Check out my profile pic for another B&A.

And because some might ask how I lost my weight, I will just go ahead and post it now.

First of all, while I didn't count calories in the beginning, I did look at other numbers...fruits/veggies servings, water ounces, minutes of exercise, "cheats," etc. I journaled everything I put in my mouth and eventually did post it online. I didn't want others to see me eating poorly, so I tried not to eat that "bad" stuff often (which is why I think having a public food journal on here is kind of important). I upped my water ounces to an average of 96/day, I aimed for at least 5 servings of fruits/veggies daily, I limited carbs (empty carbs, that is, and went for whole grains, not just eliminating all carbs), I choose lean meats, lowfat dairies, and add more healthful options to my menus. I added in more beans, different whole grains, veggies and fruits I hadn't really ever tried, and I LOVE taking a recipe and making it healthier/more beneficial.

Basically, I eat pretty "cleanly," and I try to think about how the food I put into my body is going to affect my body. If I have too many "off days" or cheats, I can definitely tell. I crave healthy foods. This took me about 30 months to do with 2 pregnancies in there. It may have taken less time if I had counted calories. :wink:

As far as exercise, I started out walking and doing Walk Away the Pounds dvds along with the first Biggest Loser dvd. I eventually added in Turbo Jam and other dvds. Over time I started running, doing Turbo Fire, and doing ChaLean Extreme along with other videos. I crave exercise also!

Hope this helps someone!

(By the way, if you do try to look at my food dairy, and it's blank right now, I am recovering from sinus surgery, and I can't eat much now or exercise, hence a journal not being posted right now.)

ETA: Before my sinus surgery this past Friday, my resting heart rate was only 54. The nurse was a bit baffled until I told him I exercise a lot. :wink: I try to pay special attention to my heart because of my mom (and my dad's constant health problems as well).

Here is RESULT!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/288131-compare-my-photo-before-and-after
  • thinkpink4hope
    thinkpink4hope Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow oh Wow!!! What an inspiration!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the nice words!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you! I'm sorry about the loss of your mom. It's so good that you are taking care of yourself. Your good health is a wonderful thing. Hope you feel better very soon from your sinus surgery. :)
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Like most Mom's she gave her life for the safe of her children. I think this was the best thing to come out of her death. Way to turn a negative into a positive. She would be VERY proud of you.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    You're amazing sweetie. . Love you.. .And with me too..Losing my dad due to bad choices is spurring me into taking care of business! You inspire me as well. . Thank you for being you!:bigsmile:
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You look FABULOUS!!!!!!! What an inspiration to all of us here on MFP. Congratulations on your success and your new way of life!
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for the loss of your Mom. She is celebrating her birthday with the Angels.
    Thank you for sharing your amazing story. Such an inspiration.
    I am sure your Mom was watching over you from the heavens and giving you
    the strength to reach your weight loss goals.
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Beautiful story, thank you for sharing :)
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! So inspirational Hun. Wtg!!!
  • Elizabeth38NC
    Options
    Thanks for your story.... I also lost my Mother to a massive heart attack. She was only 60 and she died in my arms.... it was devastating and I wanted to die with her... it spiraled me into a deep depression and self loathing and not caring if the sky fell on me... that is when my weight gain began.... I promised myself I would do better and get healthy and every anniversary of her death I feel guilty that I didn't... but this will be my year ... I just know it... thank you for your story... God bless.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your story.... I also lost my Mother to a massive heart attack. She was only 60 and she died in my arms.... it was devastating and I wanted to die with her... it spiraled me into a deep depression and self loathing and not caring if the sky fell on me... that is when my weight gain began.... I promised myself I would do better and get healthy and every anniversary of her death I feel guilty that I didn't... but this will be my year ... I just know it... thank you for your story... God bless.
    I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. Hugs! I'm glad you are finally able to take this experience and turn it into a positive was well.

Thank you, everyone!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    So sorry for the loss of your mother :cry:

. and CONGRATULATIONS on your succes! :flowerforyou:
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your amazing story! You are an inspiration!
  • imaprncs
    imaprncs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congratualtions, you look fantastic. Kepp up the great work, you are almost there!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Awesome you!!
  • ShyBreasts
    ShyBreasts Posts: 91
    Options
    You are inspiring! X
  • Melsy7
    Melsy7 Posts: 30
    Options
    You look amazing!! Great job!
  • Cnava01
    Cnava01 Posts: 37
    Options
    You look amazing!!! Congrats to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!