Discouraged - Unknown Weight Gain

Options
2»

Replies

• bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell without being able to see your diary. Processed carbs can also cause bloat.

Also, try not to weigh every day as your body will naturally fluctuate. Once a week is plenty.

also, what are your settings? When I first started I was set at sedentary because of my job (which had me at 1200)- but when I re-read the instructions, because I was working out 3-4x per week for 60 minutes, I should actually have been set at active. Once I re-set it (putting me at 1420) and ate all my exercise calories back, I started to drop.

Doesnt MFP calculate that when you track your exercise? I have an office job so Im set to sedentry, but I work out 7 days a week for at least 30 min, starting to hit 40. I track every minute on MFP. Just because Im exercising doesnt mean my job and daytime activity isnt sedentry, right?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I think that yes... a desk job is sedentary, but they are referring to your entire lifestyle as whole. Obviously you only spend 1/4 of your week at a desk. But the rest of the week has to count for something. If you are getting 30 minutes of exercise every day, 7 days a week, I would categorize you as active instead of sedentary.
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Doesnt MFP calculate that when you track your exercise? I have an office job so Im set to sedentry, but I work out 7 days a week for at least 30 min, starting to hit 40. I track every minute on MFP. Just because Im exercising doesnt mean my job and daytime activity isnt sedentry, right?

Yes, you are correct. If you go to "Account Settings" and then "Update Diet/Fitness Goals", you will see that the "Sedentary" choice says "Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job). " It does NOT say "spend most of the day sitting but works out 3-4 times a week." That's because, just as you say, this is the BASELINE level of activity for the individual.

The choice for "Active" says "Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)." If a person's baseline level of activity is to be walking for 8 hours a day, that's a pretty different baseline than to be sitting 8 hours a day.
  • ttrotter1960
    Options
    It is most likely due to fluid retention. I would not be concerned about it. Keep doing what you're doing and your weight will eventually begin to fall again. It is not uncommon to hit pleateaus that your weight just seems to stick to.