Anyone else get dizzy when they don't eat for X hours?

Options
I am completely healthy other than being obsese (which is something I'm trying to fix!) but I have had this weird problem for awhile now and to me it sounds like low blood sugar, but the doctor said mine was fine.. so I just wanted to see if any of you ever had this problem.

When I don't eat for such a period of time I get dizzy and nausiated and feel like throwing up. I used to lay down in front of something cold like a fan or air conditioner and it would fade.. there were times in the past I felt it in the shower and had to get out IMMEDIENTLY and lay down on the bed... I was afraid I'd fall down, which I never did.

I was worried about this when I started dieting about being able to stay under the calories if I got this way, but since I started exercising it's only happened a couple of times.

I think it's the reason this morning I got a big headache and a tummy ache after doing my first round of EA Sports, because I didn't eat breakfast... I have exercised early without breakfast plenty of times during my diet (I find I loose more weight this way.. when I feel up to it) and this is the first time it has happened.. so it might have been the heat or a combination of both.. but either way it got me thinking and wondering what's wrong!

The doctor finds nothing wrong with me.. but it's weird... it's not like I'm starving... I eat my 1200 and my exercise calories back.

So does anyone else here get that problem? Getting dizzy, headaches, stomach sickness when you don't eat for X hours. Anyone know the cause?

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I have had that feeling before, and I always thought it was low blood sugar. I don't think it's necessarily something a doc could say "yes" or "no" when it doesn't happen all the time.
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I only get like that if I don't eat within an hour after waking up. Low blood sugar? That's what I think mine is. It's the only time of the day that I will get sick if I don't eat right away.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't any more but that is one of my most common pregnancy side effects. The dr told me it was just low blood sugar and to eat more regularly. I started eating 10 pistachios between meals and that helped a lot!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I get that sometimes, I just keep a jolly rancher or something with a little sugar in it on hand. A glass of OJ helps too. That usually makes me feel better within 2 or 3 minutes. Hope this helps!
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem before I started trying to lose weight. I used to not eat breakfast so wouldn't eat until anywhere between 11am and 12:30pm and then wouldn't eat again until tea time. Or I'd eat breakfast and wouldn't eat anything else until tea time. Or I just wouldn't eat anything all day until tea time. Not always intentionally, sometimes I'd forget to eat (when studying hard) or I didn't have money and forgot to bring food with me. Since I've been trying to lose weight I try to eat every 2 hours (3 hours at the latest, though doesn't always work that way with my break times at work), and I find that I don't get that sick/dizzy feeling anymore.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    This happens to me. I used to feel dizzy and even faint after showers. Exercise makes me dizzy too. My doctor said it was from the heat and the way my body is wired to respond to it. I just make sure I am hydrated and remain as cool as possible (ac, fans, etc) when I am doing something that raises my core temp.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough? I know when I feel faint it's actually probably dehydration, although eating fixes it too, because there's water in food.
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I get this but I don't really know the cause of it. I often will get dizzy when I go from lying to sitting or sitting to lying. It usually only lasts 15 seconds or so. Sometimes, but not always, I will get nauseated too. I have passed out before due to what the doctor presumed was low blood sugar but that was years ago. I've wondered if it could be due to anemia in my case, as I've always been borderline but haven't been tested lately.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yes, if i don't eat fairly regularly, particularly when i'm watching calories, I get nauseous, headache, and then dizzy. I find if i eat more often, that helps. Are you drinking enough water? I have had the "almost passing out" (plus sweats and chills) when i worked out in the heat, with nothing to drink. That's all I can suggest.
  • Sarw27
    Sarw27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I find this too sometimes... and have wondered the same thing about my blood sugar, though any time I've had it checked it's been fine. I find that I get a bit of a headache. I have worried about diabetes also, but was not diabetic the last time I checked that. I admit, I am too scared to find out and decided that the best way to remedy it for me was to ensure I eat my meals regularly (spaced apart just enough and eating balanced) and just focus on dropping the weight.

Maybe there is a low-cal snack you can keep on hand for times like these? I don't think it would take much.
  • jluthersw
    jluthersw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot. Mine is low blood sugar. The doctor could not detect this unless he takes your blood sugar when you feel like this. I actually pass out if I do not fix this. I just try to eat light little snacks through the day and that normally keeps it down. I would watch out and make sure you do not actually pass out because it really is not fun. :wink: Good luck!!
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I generally have to eat something every 3 hours or I feel like crap. I get increidbly irritable if I miss a meal.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I also get the shakes, nausea etc if I go without eating for a few hours. Blood sugar drop, happens to alot of people. I try to keep some form of protein snack in my purse if I'm going to be out for a while.
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't know what its actually called but I get crystals in my ears moving around and I get really dizzy to the point I feel like being sick. Usually if I don't eat for more than 4 hours, was being active, and my last meal was light.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I get light headed when I do not eat, but not dizzy...with the obesity, it could be more serious than just low blood sugar...you could be diabetic (or boarderline diabetic)...I would have you doctor run a test to make sure (as it is a serious disease)
  • Sarw27
    Sarw27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    P.S. I have also experienced getting dizzy in the shower- to the point I have to get out and lie down for a few minutes. I think it is because of the heat and not having eaten, so I've started showering with the curtain at the back of the shower open just a little... and leaving the bathroom door open. That way it doesn't get too steamy and I don't feel sick.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers so far!

I haven't actually passed out yet.. but I've felt like it at times.. like I said it's getting better when me working out.. I eat more frequently.. but there are times you can't help not eating for whatever reason and that's when it happens :(.

I ate some crackers and I felt better in just 20 minutes.. it was fusterating having that feeling again.. It's been awhile :(

I have asked the doc and been tested for things, but nothing was ever found.

And yes! I do that to in the summer, I leave the bathroom door and shower curtain open just a tad bit so I don't get to hot.. it must help because I can't remember the last time I felt that way in the shower.. it was sometime before I started loosing weight.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Happened to me very often a few years back. I was basically not eating. Stupid, I know, but whatever. I would always get dizzy. I passed out in the shower numerous times. I think it was a combination of the heat and having nothing in my body. Once I started eating again, the feinting stopped. The only time I feel like that now is if I am very hot, which I think is a lot more normal.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I don't eat every 3-4 hours. My dr and nutritionist told me to make sure that I am eating well balanced meals/snacks (protein/carbs/sugar).

So I make sure I have a good balance for my meals and that really helps, now if I eat something sweet (donut, candy, soda, etc...) I will feel better for the short term but then later my blood sugar will drop even lower than it was before. So I try really hard to avoid eat anything super sugary if I start feeling icky. I may have a small glass of OJ, but I will couple that with scrambled eggs & toast (as an example).

I do feel like that when i'm dehydrated too - so make sure you are drinking plenty of water as well.

You may want to consider making a dr's appt and also discuss your concerns/issues with a nutritionist. Perhaps even take a copy of your food journal so they can see what you're eating/how much water your drinking/etc....
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Oh yes and water wise, I had 3 cups before I felt it this morning.. cuz I drunk it with my exercise.. which isn't bad for being that early, I do stay hydrated.