Disappointed in MFP people

Options
I have always thought that MFP was an awesome site and that everyone on here was so motivated to help others with their journies, but you know what I've discovered on here by reading a few forums? People on here are so freaking judgemental and rude...a lot of people are new to this site and a lot of people are going to have "stupid" questions or questions that have been asked before many times. But you know what? It's not that easy for most people to start a brand new lifestyle so they come here looking for support and what do they get? RUDE and JUDGEMENTAL people just the opposite of what they are looking for...so a touch of advice...IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE OR POSITIVE TO SAY (edited) say nothing at all.

Replies

• imaprncs
    imaprncs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    So very TRUE!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Dang it.... did I go too far again? :-/
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Amen sister! I agree...If there is a topic that you are "Sick and tired" of reading..dont read it..skip over it..dont belittle the people..everyone was new at one time..so let it be...
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    yeah some of the posts are "tense" to say the least. Once you can weed through the BS there's some good helpful people.
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I agree!
  • radio_flyer
    Options
    I just skip those comments .... my mother taught me better than that.
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    So agree,,,,if it bothers you skip over it...some people just beginning just don't know the way it works,,give them a break..this site is about support not judgement....
  • jms88
    jms88 Posts: 49
    Options
    It's a good point that you make. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to be discouraged because they feel like they've met that kind of opposition. I've mainly been reading the posts and I've been able to just skim past the ugly posts and move on to the ones of real value, but fortunately, I haven't been on the receiving end of any of it. :( Not sure how I'd feel if I were.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Great reminder!
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    No way I would tell any of my friends on here if they offended me in anyway :) I'm direct like that...so no not aimed at you if anything you are a great motivator especially when it comes to my running! So thank you for your continued support and great info on running!!
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I posted this as a response to another message earlier, but I think it applies here ... a serious suggestion. Do you think if enough people asked to have this done it would help??

I think when a new person signs up, they ought to get a 'welcome' message with some basics ... such as:

1) Be sure to search for a topic/question to see if it has been discussed before using the search feature
    2) A list of the most unknown acronyms such as NSV = Non Scale Victory, MFP = My Fitness Pal, etc.
    3) How to post a photo: Post a photo by saving it to an online photo site, copying the url and then pasting that url in the box. Then change the "IMG" from the original upper case to "img" lower case, or it won't work.
    4) Advice: Keep in mind that when you ask a question, you are going to get people's OPINIONS ... some of which you (and others) may agree with and some you may not.

You get the idea ... :)

You have to sign up to join, so would it be difficult to have the site set up to automatically send a welcome message to the e-mail used to register ... I know that way back when I used Yahoo Groups, it did that.

It might save a LOT of duplicate questions, and thereby duplicate answers, and as a result, less than nice comments/replies?? Just a thought ...
  • Cheryl_Catrair
    Cheryl_Catrair Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There are definitely rude people here just like anywhere else, but overall my experience has been a very positive one. I just ignore the occasional "you know what" and figure they must be really unhappy overall. Good luck to everyone here!
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have always thought that MFP was an awesome site and that everyone on here was so motivated to help others with their journies, but you know what I've discovered on here by reading a few forums? People on here are so freaking judgemental and rude...a lot of people are new to this site and a lot of people are going to have "stupid" questions or questions that have been asked before many times. But you know what? It's not that easy for most people to start a brand new lifestyle so they come here looking for support and what do they get? RUDE and JUDGEMENTAL people just the opposite of what they are looking for...so a touch of advice...IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE OR POSITIVE TO SAY (edit) say nothing at all!!

WELL SAID !
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    My theory is, NO QUESTION IS STUPID IF YOU REALLY DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER!

I agree with you about the judgmental people on here. I guess I have been nothing but fortunate to have snagged the most supportive friends. I agree....if you have nothing nice and supportive to say, SHUTTY!
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you its very sad.. someone in my family signed up and after reading a thread about how people got so ticked off about spelling they almost left the site and are still afraid to post ANYTHING in the forum... this person has a learning disability and its hard for them spell and see things correctly... I convinced this person to stay ... and that not everyone is like that... after all we are here to motivate and encourage not belittle and be rude and mean.. right?
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    People just take online forums WAY too seriously. They stick around in these things long enough and suddenly they think they rule these boards lol. It cracks me up when someone gets all butt hurt over multiple posts on a topic.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I agree 100%. I got ticked off this morning by how incredibly hard MFP people are with regard to newbies.

We were all newbies once and these poor people are just looking for support and advice. Let's put our "understanding" hats on for 5 minutes, shall we?
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I posted this as a response to another message earlier, but I think it applies here ... a serious suggestion. Do you think if enough people asked to have this done it would help??

I think when a new person signs up, they ought to get a 'welcome' message with some basics ... such as:

1) Be sure to search for a topic/question to see if it has been discussed before using the search feature
    2) A list of the most unknown acronyms such as NSV = Non Scale Victory, MFP = My Fitness Pal, etc.
    3) How to post a photo: Post a photo by saving it to an online photo site, copying the url and then pasting that url in the box. Then change the "IMG" from the original upper case to "img" lower case, or it won't work.
    4) Advice: Keep in mind that when you ask a question, you are going to get people's OPINIONS ... some of which you (and others) may agree with and some you may not.

You get the idea ... :)

You have to sign up to join, so would it be difficult to have the site set up to automatically send a welcome message to the e-mail used to register ... I know that way back when I used Yahoo Groups, it did that.

It might save a LOT of duplicate questions, and thereby duplicate answers, and as a result, less than nice comments/replies?? Just a thought ...

that would be a great idea because i have no idea how to post pics lol and I see a lot of other people having trouble with this also!! You should bring it up to a moderator!!