Grammar Police

Options
13»

Replies

• Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    There is a time and a place for pointing out grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors, but MFP is not the place for it. Many of the people who participate here have suffered deeply from the rejection and scorn of the world because of their weight. Others are doing a very nice job of beating themselves up. Some 'comfort' eaters find refuge from criticism and low self-esteem in food.

The point is that what they NEED from the people here is hope, encouragement and support, not someone else telling them they are worthless. Some people might not need external validation to reassure them, but for a person who is almost afraid to try again for fear of adding yet another failure to a string of failures, being told (in essence) that they're stupid because they misspelled a word or even used the wrong word might just be all it takes to derail them.

What we are doing here - trying to improve our diets, shed some weight, exercise etc., is an emotional journey as well as a physical one. No-one would stand by and approve infliction of a physical injury that would impede someone's progress in this journey, but it seems as though some feel it is their place to inflict psychological damage and laugh about it. Having your writing ruthlessly critiqued in a public forum is a humiliating experience for a person for whom it is huge leap to just put themselves out there. I am glad that people are speaking up about behavior that is inappropriate or cruel. I read some posts yesterday that said basically, "well this is a community, so we have to put up with the jerks." I disagree. In a community that is responsible and mature, people call out the bullies and the jerks and let them know that what they're doing is not okay, and that includes unnecessary policing of one-another's grammar.

Rant over.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I have said this before, this is not MyGrammarPal this is MyFitnessPal. If we want a grammar lesson we can go to school. I type letters and docs all day long. The last thing I am going to do is worry about my grammar, etc. when I am typing in a forum on my personal time.

Voice your opinion or get fired up over something that really matters in the world, not over someones grammatical errors.

but it's okay to get fired up over other people getting fired up for their pet peeves, right?

bah.
    This is the interweb. We are supposed to get fired up over anything.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

but it's okay to get fired up over other people getting fired up for their pet peeves, right?

bah.

My original post concerned people who ridicule others because of grammar-related issues and their erroneous idea that dragging grammar into an argument somehow strengthens their position. Airing a peeve is a far cry from ridiculing someone on a support forum because their grammar doesn't measure up to some personal standard. I'm not sure what your post has to do with that? Not trying to be snarky, but not seeing a connection.

Give a girl a hand?

Kris
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    God knows I'm not perfect but I wish people would learn the difference between 'lose' and 'loose'. Just sayin...........
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    God knows I'm not perfect but I wish people would learn the difference between 'lose' and 'loose'. Just sayin...........

Not to mention its/it's, they're/there/their, your/you're, and where/were/wear. But dragging up someone's grammar as a way to win an argument or make them feel awful sucks, especially here, where we've all put ourselves out there by posting about our weight and our struggles. That's my point, and I think everyone understood me.

Right?

Kris
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The little "G" in my signature is a Grammar Nazi symbol I thought was amusing. Unfortunately I find myself caring less and less.

So glad you expalined! I have seen a few of your comments on other posts and wasn't sure what it was. You are so stinking funny!

I would not call you one of the grammar police. You are humourous and seem to use your "powers" for good.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Not to mention its/it's, they're/there/their, your/you're, and where/were/wear. But dragging up someone's grammar as a way to win an argument or make them feel awful sucks, especially here, where we've all put ourselves out there by posting about our weight and our struggles. That's my point, and I think everyone understood me.

Right?

Kris

So true. I think most do get your point and agree.

Bet you didn't know this would spark like it did! :smile:
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    AS LNG AS I CN UNDRSTND TH MEANNG OF WHT IS WRTTN HVNG PRFCT GRMMR ISNT NCSSRY. WHT I HV A HRD TM WTH IS TXT SPEAK. R PPL THT US TH CP KY RNDMLY.

Vanna can I buy a vowel?

Text speak to English:

As long as I can understand the meaning of what is written having perfect grammar isn't necessary. What I have a hard time with is text speak. Or people that use the cap key RaNDomLy.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Your wright, I no that can be annoying :wink:

*eye twitch*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yeah, me too. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: