What are you currently reading on your Kindle/Nook?

Options

Replies

• bigmoman76
    Options
    I assure you the book is better. A little difficult to start, but once you get going, you won't be able to put it down.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler....hilarious and I'm only on chapter 4!

That's what I'm reading right now. She has a hilarious way of writing
  • casirdms
    casirdms Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    After 2 chapters of the book I was reading [Unlimited by Jillian Michaels] I gave up and am now joining all you gal's that are reading about Chelsea's Horizontal Life ... so far it is hilarious and a good read :)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    A Dance With Dragons by Geroge R.R. Martin.

When I finish it, I will probably pick up the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I am on book 9 or 10 of that series, but I it has been so long since I read them that I don't remember what is happening.

I also may finish the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I am maybe 1/4 of the way through the book and I find it dull so far. It's one of the only books I have started and not finished. My husband tells me it gets really good about 1/2 way through... but it has been a struggle.

I'm going to be doing a re-read of the series...I finished up A Game of Thrones again not too long ago.

For the Larrson books, it's not so much the first 100 pages you have to get through as like 1/2 the book. It's VERY dull....and it's like that for EVERY book. But you will walk away satisfied because the book really is good if you can just get past the first half. I usually will put a book down, but I was on vacation when I read it last year, and read it in the car...so..yeah...good set of books.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich', by William L. Shirer. (Not for the light reader, I'll tell ya that.)

I'm a huge history buff, and have been meaning to tackle this beast for a while. Great book.
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Mockingjay (From the Hunger Games series) by Suzanne Collins
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    I don't have an e-reader but right now I'm finishing up the first book in the Dune series... I'm addicted
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I don't have an e-reader but right now I'm finishing up the first book in the Dune series... I'm addicted

EXCELLENT book!!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    currently reading The Secret Garden, thank you freebie!
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm about half way through A Dance With Dragons by Geroge R.R. Martin. I read, for the first time, the first four books in the series back to back and only just finished the fourth book before I downloaded the new one. Great series, it's scope and breadth of characters is just massive.

I've the first four Dexter books queued up for when I finish A Dance With Dragons, then the Horus Heresy Promethean
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The Dexter books are great! enjoy!
  • ysoserious
    Options
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Found the movie decent. The book's not that great, and quite short. But gonna finish it anyway.
  • theoddmissus
    Options
    the third book of H2G2 trilogy; Life, the universe and everything.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Oh i love this topic. I am currently reading book 3 of The wolves of Mercy Falls series. Called..Forever. (Shiver and Linger were books 1 and 2)

I love my Nook Color. I have a to read list a mile long and have saved so much time and money. I hardly ever have to buy a book and never have to fight the traffic or crowd or wait on the library. Just love being able to read in bed with no light on to disturb hubby. :)

This is book 38 since last summer.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich', by William L. Shirer. (Not for the light reader, I'll tell ya that.)

I'm a huge history buff, and have been meaning to tackle this beast for a while. Great book.

I'm going to check that out. I'm taking a foreign policy class right now, and that's a topic I've become really interested in.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

I'm going to check that out. I'm taking a foreign policy class right now, and that's a topic I've become really interest in.

It's still considered one of the best history accounts of Hitler's rise and fall, despite being written only 10 years after the downfall in Europe. Definitely worth reading, with the crazy amount of information. I think it actually helps that the author was a journalist first, because he puts in snippets of first-hand accounts of his time in Europe, along with the amazing amount of footnotes and references he makes to traditional hard-copy sources, which gives it a more personal feel, so it doesn't read like a completely dry regurgitation of facts.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I read all the time, but I refuse to go the way of the e-reader. Mainly because I just refuse to buy books. I'm not going to pay almost the same price for a book for one that's online. Maybe one day, but for now, no. I frequent my library. I go online, reserve the book I want, when it comes in, they email me, and I swing by after work to pick it up. I love turning a page. I love the sound. I love the smell of books. I love cute bookmarks.

I love books also. I collect them, and I am beyond fanatical about keeping them in pristine condition. A book I know I'll want to keep and read again or pass on to someone else is a book I'll buy in hardcover. But I travel a lot for work, and it's just easier for me to carry my Kindle on the road (it's lighter, takes up less space, and I know I won't mess up my actual books). So I use Kindle to read classics (though I have a ton of these in my "real" book collection, they're free on e-readers) and any other free or very cheap books I can find that look interesting to me but are probably not books I'd want to keep in my bookcase and someday pass on to my kids or whomever.

In short, I guess I am saying I think there's room for both.

We sound like book soul mates! My paperbacks do not have bent bindings because it drives me crazy. Every one of my books looks brand new and no one would be able to tell which ones have been read!

Still, I got a Kindle for my birthday and love it! I keep the Kindle at the boyfriend's house, so I always have something to read there and carry a "real" book for work and home. So, I always have two books going at once.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Multiple books on the go? That's something I'm guilty of as well, I've a couple of real books in my bedside draw that fall into that category, it'll be months before I finish them at this rate.

I love hard back books, the feel, the smell and the slip covers, but it gets expensive buying them when I can go through 3 or 4 books a week when I'm in the mood. Paper backs are a compromise but I much prefer Hard Backs. My local library is useless as they have nothing I like ever on the shelves, then they charge at least a pound to order a book and take ages to get the thing in stock so you need to make a whole mass of requests to get what you want.

Finished A Dance with Dragons yesterday, very disappointed that Martin pressed the pause button for nearly all the major characters in each of their final chapters in the book, I guess he didn't have enough left otherwise for the two decent sized books that are left in the series. Rest of the book was great though.

Started on Promethean Sons ahead of Dexter as it's a book I can usually finish off in an evening. I can see why they made it a limited edition as it falls into the usual traps that books inhabiting the GW universe all too often suffer from.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    The Emperor of all Maladies
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Gradually working through the Kindle freebie classics.

'A Study in Scarlet' at the moment, first Sherlock Holmes, which is quite good actually - especially the back story set in pioneer Utah.

Next will probably be 'Robinson Crusoe'.