DIet Soda.... Do or DoNot?

Options

Replies

• meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm a do not. I used to have caffeine-free, diet soda all day long in lieu of water. When I was 200 pounds 6 years ago, the weight came off easily even while having the diet stuff. I took up running, and then I noticed that the days I had soda versus water were the days that I felt terrible while running.

I occasionally indulge, maybe one or two times per month, if that, but it is one of those things that don't even appeal to me on a daily basis. I generally drink water all day long, occasionally a juice (if I have extra calories at the end of the day and need something quick to fill them), and iced tea when I feel the urge.

Good luck! No matter what you do, do it because it is right for YOU, not because it's what everyone else does. :)
  • melymj4
    melymj4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't really care if it's diet or not, to me soda is a Don't.
  • Gojira74
    Gojira74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised that "diet" soda causes such a fuss. There are some very interesting "theories" about it. High Fructose Corn Syrup is hardly proven to be the devil that people claim. The studies are flawed and only vaguely support the hypothesis. The real hypothesis should be that lots of sugar is bad. That said, diet Coke doesn't have any sugar. High Fructose Corn Syrup is sugar. Coke Zero doesn't have HFC because it doesn't have any sugar.

The "chemical" vs "natural" fear is largely based on a fallacy. The "Naturalistic Fallacy says that natural things are better than "unnatural" things. Cyanide is a totally natural plant extract. Eating it isn't a good idea. Caffeine which is shown to have several negative effects is also a natural plant extract. Bee toxin is natural. The number one cause of cancer, The Sun, is a perfectly natural phenomena. Natural does not always mean good and unnatural does not always mean bad.

Artificial sweetener has been linked to increased hunger because the sweet taste tricks the body into thinking an actual glucose source is available. However, a single Diet Coke a day isn't going to make you gain 5lbs. The biggest problem with diet soda is the sodium; Diet Rite has none and is a better substitute if you want soda. However, it has no caffeine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get cancer.
    If you have a wireless phone, you'll get cancer too..........................................:laugh:
  • rcbalbo
    rcbalbo Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't feed your body garbage... all sodas are full of artificial ingredients and chemicals.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    DO NOT! Diet soda not only has high fructose corn syrup (which consumed in high quantities is destructive to your system and messes with your metabolism) but many times is sweetened with Aspartame. Aspartame is EVIL! Do some research for what it does to you. It's yucky!!

Coke Zero doesn't have high fructose corn syrup.

And I got this from TimeHealth something I consider a reliable source:

In 1981, the synthetic compound aspartame was approved for use, and it capitalized on saccharin's bad publicity by becoming the leading additive in diet colas. In 1995 and 1996, misinformation about aspartame that linked the chemical to everything from multiple sclerosis to Gulf War syndrome was widely disseminated on the Internet. While aspartame does adversely effect some people — including those who are unable to metabolize the amino acid phenylalanine — it has been tested more than 200 times, and each test has confirmed that your Diet Coke is safe to drink. Nor have any health risks been detected in more than 100 clinical tests of sucralose, a chemically altered sugar molecule found in food, drinks, chewing gum and Splenda.

The fear-mongering and misinformation plaguing the faux-sweetener market seems to be rooted in a common misconception. No evidence indicates that sweeteners cause obesity; people with weight problems simply tend to eat more of it. While recent studies have suggested a possible link between artificial sweeteners and obesity, a direct link between additives and weight gain has yet to be found. The general consensus in the scientific community is that saccharin, aspartame and sucralose are harmless when consumed in moderation. And while cyclamate is still banned in the U.S., many other countries still allow it; it can even be found in the Canadian version of Sweet'n Low. Low-calorie additives won't make you thinner or curb your appetite. But they help unsweetened food taste better without harming you. And that's sweet enough.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1931116,00.html#ixzz1S5qI7lOy

THANK YOU!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I still drink it, just watch what you put in your body don't use diet coke as an excuse to eat things you shouldn't like sweets.

^^^^^^
    what he said...
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    I don't feel strongly about alot of things, but I don't drink diet soda anymore except on the VERY rare occasion. I stick to Pepsi Throwback if I want a soda occasionally because it uses real sugar. I just avoid artificial sweeteners as much as possible. They're more trouble than they're worth.
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    Options
    You're gonna get cancer.
    If you have a wireless phone, you'll get cancer too..........................................:laugh:

um . . . if you live, you will most likely get cancer. Just sayin'
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised that "diet" soda causes such a fuss. There are some very interesting "theories" about it. High Fructose Corn Syrup is hardly proven to be the devil that people claim. The studies are flawed and only vaguely support the hypothesis. The real hypothesis should be that lots of sugar is bad. That said, diet Coke doesn't have any sugar. High Fructose Corn Syrup is sugar. Coke Zero doesn't have HFC because it doesn't have any sugar.

The "chemical" vs "natural" fear is largely based on a fallacy. The "Naturalistic Fallacy says that natural things are better than "unnatural" things. Cyanide is a totally natural plant extract. Eating it isn't a good idea. Caffeine which is shown to have several negative effects is also a natural plant extract. Bee toxin is natural. The number one cause of cancer, The Sun, is a perfectly natural phenomena. Natural does not always mean good and unnatural does not always mean bad.

Artificial sweetener has been linked to increased hunger because the sweet taste tricks the body into thinking an actual glucose source is available. However, a single Diet Coke a day isn't going to make you gain 5lbs. The biggest problem with diet soda is the sodium; Diet Rite has none and is a better substitute if you want soda. However, it has no caffeine.

Agreed!! The one thing I have notice is I quit craving foods when I quit eating so many processed cards. I really limit my carb intake period. I have a hard time eating all of my calories as it is and I do drink at least a 32 oz glass of coke zero a day. I don't crave anything, I feel like I have to force myself to eat. So I am wondering is the whole "artificial sweetener has been linked to increased hunger", takes into consideration other things they are eating. just wondering
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    You can live without it, it has absolutely no benefits.
    Yep. I gave it up probably 2 or more years ago, and I am just fine.
  • Asug8237
    Asug8237 Posts: 7
    Options
    I will drink diet soda occasionlly, but mostly I drink diet tea and things like sobe life water (0 cal) and Fuze slenderize (10 cal)
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I, personally, think life is too damn short to worry about whether one coke zero a day is going to kill me! I have a better chance, GOD FORBID, of getting ran over while running. If you want one, drink it! That's just my opinion...

PS: I drink anywhere from 100-150 ounces of water a day. The coke zero is my treat to myself.

Two thumbs way up on this one!!! LOL. I drink more water than diet soda "pop." I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic when I was 12 (now 44) and if I want a soda it has to be diet or nothing at all as I can't have the sugar for medical reasons. I'm still "kicking" LOL
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I only drink it when I'm out a restaurant and want a drink!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get cancer.

We ALL have cancers cells in our body right this very moment, every one of us. You can do all the "right" things and still get cancer. Just sayin'
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else read this as "Diet soda, Do or DONUT?!" :laugh:

Because I could really go for both right about now.
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have tried to stop drinking pop completely... but that doesn't work. I find myself eating more or drinking way more pop than I am suppose to because I have denied myself the pop.....
    I switched to diet pop and that was okay for a little bit but I started to notice that it makes me feel bloated and kinda nausea's after drinking it.... so I try to not drink them on a daily basis.

If I am out somewhere like a restaurant with my fiance or something then I usually have tea and on occasion if I want something that is carbonated then I get a diet pop but I don't drink them daily anymore.
  • Gojira74
    Gojira74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get cancer.

We ALL have cancers cells in our body right this very moment, every one of us. You can do all the "right" things and still get cancer. Just sayin'

A recent article in Nature magazine linked an over consumption of antioxidants to an increase in certain tumor producing pathways. Cellphones do not cause cancer, and there are no reliable studies saying they do. If you overdo anything, even antioxidants, you interfere with your bodies natural desire for homeostasis. Cancer is not one disease. It is a similar symptom caused by thousands of different diseases.
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love it. There are way worse things I could be doing than drinking a Diet Coke.
  • MrsChasteen
    MrsChasteen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do not have that much of a problem with coke cravings. I drink water through the day and milk if I can afford at meals. Sometimes I crave sweetness in the evenings so I bought some diet Sunkist and diet cherry 7-up so I do not exceed my calories. When I finish dieting I will no longer buy diet cokes. I will probably just indulge on the real ones every once in a while.