TIRED OF BEING HUNGRY!

Options

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are some good filling foods low in fat? Or good snacks
    Since it depends on WHY you specify they should be low in fat (maybe you're getting your good levels of fat already (closed diary) or maybe you're still on the "thing" from the 90's where Low-fat was all the rage.
    Excellent snacks to help fill you up are nuts, nut butters, avocado... fish (make sure you're getting fish with Omega-3 as my canned Tuna and Salmon don't indicate that they have omega-3 or unsaturated fat in general) canned sardines, herring fillets, cod liver oil....
  • llbird
    llbird Posts: 51
    Options
    Try half of a medium-sized, crispy apple, one laughing cow (light) cheese wedge and 5 raw almonds. Just over a hundred calories, nutritious and very satisfying.
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating every few hours instead of eating 3 large meals (I normally do 5 to 6 "mini-meals").

For my snacks I normally try to pair a vegetable or fruit with a source of protein- this week is grape tomatoes with string cheese :)- all for 95 calories. My diary is open if you want to take a look

Food suggestions: light string cheese, skinny cow cheese wedges, popcorns, any vegetables, bananas, apples, peaches, nuts, fiber one bars, protein bars, yogurt, trail mix
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    Almonds, Apples, Water, Celery w/laughing cow cheese, Hummus...all great snacks. Make sure you are doing small meals during the day as well.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Protein, Protein, Protein, and fat, cut your carbs down some and replace them with protein and fat.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Protein, Protein, Protein, and fat, cut your carbs down some and replace them with protein and fat.

Thank you for posting that.

It's all hormones.

Protein is the most filling, followed by fat, followed by carbs.

I originally came from the eat clean diet, eating all sorts of fruits, veggies, whole grains, and low-fat everything. I literally had to eat every 3 hours because I was so hungry. Always had to have food on me.

Now, I've switched to a high-fat, moderate-protein diet (Primal/Paleo). I'm barely ever hungry and sometimes have a hard time reaching my 'caloric goals' (though I don't put too much weight in calorie-counting). I'm easily have only 2-3 meals per day now.

I'm losing weight easily and it's so much less trouble than always ensuring you have food on you.
  • freerange
    Options

Thank you for posting that.

It's all hormones.

Protein is the most filling, followed by fat, followed by carbs.

I originally came from the eat clean diet, eating all sorts of fruits, veggies, whole grains, and low-fat everything. I literally had to eat every 3 hours because I was so hungry. Always had to have food on me.

Now, I've switched to a high-fat, moderate-protein diet (Primal/Paleo). I'm barely ever hungry and sometimes have a hard time reaching my 'caloric goals' (though I don't put too much weight in calorie-counting). I'm easily have only 2-3 meals per day now.

I'm losing weight easily and it's so much less trouble than always ensuring you have food on you.

Exactly, I'm Paleo/Primal myself,a nd NEVER feel hungry, well if I go all day without eating I will get hungry, but normal 3 meals a day and a egg and or a piece of fruit here and there is all I need to feel full all day. No 100 cal snack packs, every couple hours.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I eat 4-5 mini-meals a day that average about 300 calories each, and always try to eat protien, carbs and fiber every time. And I'm drinking plenty of water between. Also ditto whoever mentioned slowing down and truly enjoying and tasting your food - the slower I eat and the more time I take to appreciate my food, the faster and more full I get.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    there is a fantastic article about being hungry here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/13/is-your-food-making-you-old-by-ori-hofmekler.aspx

it talks about the difference between "chronic" hunger and "acute" hunger. it also mentions that sugary foods and refined grains (white bread...) actually make us HUNGRIER. it's a great read if you have a few minutes!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Usually anything that is rich in protein will keep you feeling full for longer.

Truer words have rarely been spoken.. :happy: :tongue:
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    try to ...
    - drink more water
    - eat more high fibers foods, like whole grains, fruits and veggies. apples are a great choice that curb appetite
    - eat more protein. protein also keeps you feeling fuller longer - greek yogurt is a great option :)

i make smoothies as meal replacements, or snacks and they hold me over for a good 3 hours
    1 cup frozen fruit (whatever your heart desires)
    1 cup plain, fat free, greek yogurt
    1/2 cup plain, light soy milk
    1 packet truvia
    1 tbsp cold milled flax seed (optional)

it makes a killer smoothie, and all the protein, and fiber keeps ya full :)
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Also damages your kidneys, see you in dialysis!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options

Oh yes, thank you for perpetuating old myths that have been disproved many times again and again. Quite frankly, I'm starting have less and less respect for Dr. McDougal if that is the type of outdated info he is spouting.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10722779

Let me guess, you also believe high protein leaches calcium from your bones, causes heart disease, colon cancer and metabolic acidosis?
  • freerange
    Options

Oh yes, thank you for perpetuating old myths that have been disproved many times again and again. Quite frankly, I'm starting have less and less respect for Dr. McDougal if that is the type of outdated info he is spouting.

Let me guess, you also believe high protein leaches calcium from your bones, causes heart disease, colon cancer and metabolic acidosis?

^^^^ what he said^^^^
  • taem
    Options

Well, Atkins is dead, Sears can't follow his own diet, and McDougall is not only alive and well, he is active with his children and grand children. Atkins and McDougall followed their own diet, Sears can't due to his "family genetic problem."

Yes, I totally believe that high protein damages the kidneys (the article you cite applies to athletes) and the other source: While protein restriction may be appropriate for treatment of existing kidney disease, we find no significant evidence for a detrimental effect of high protein intakes on kidney function in healthy persons after centuries of a high protein Western diet.

So it is now shown that in America, over 2/3 are overweight (except Colorado). Whose healthy? whose an athlete?
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options
    Well, Atkins is dead, Sears can't follow his own diet, and McDougall is not only alive and well, he is active with his children and grand children. Atkins and McDougall followed their own diet, Sears can't due to his "family genetic problem."

Yes, I totally believe that high protein damages the kidneys (the article you cite applies to athletes) and the other source: While protein restriction may be appropriate for treatment of existing kidney disease, we find no significant evidence for a detrimental effect of high protein intakes on kidney function in healthy persons after centuries of a high protein Western diet.

So it is now shown that in America, over 2/3 are overweight (except Colorado). Whose healthy? whose an athlete?

So instead of blindly believing what McDougal says, why don't you cite some evidence that shows high protein causes kidney damage? I just showed you two studies that prove my point and your response is "yes, I believe that high protein damages the kidneys". The reason why you believe this despite a lack of evidence is because of your zealotry and not because of any published studies. Heck, I fight with the Paleo people all the time but their positions are grounded in science. Can't say the same for you.

As for your comment on "America", yes, there is an overweight problem. Let me give you a hint as to why.... It isn't overconsumption of protein. From Mark Sisson's blog, experts from the Medical Research Council at the University of College London estimate that, while the typical Western diet today is composed of 49% carbs, 35% fats and 16% protein.

Atkins is dead so protein causes kidney damage? WTH? LOL
  • taem
    Options

So instead of blindly believing what McDougal says, why don't you cite some evidence that shows high protein causes kidney damage? I just showed you two studies that prove my point and your response is "yes, I believe that high protein damages the kidneys". The reason why you believe this despite a lack of evidence is because of your zealotry and not because of any published studies. Heck, I fight with the Paleo people all the time but their positions are grounded in science. Can't say the same for you.

As for your comment on "America", yes, there is an overweight problem. Let me give you a hint as to why.... It isn't overconsumption of protein. From Mark Sisson's blog, experts from the Medical Research Council at the University of College London estimate that, while the typical Western diet today is composed of 49% carbs, 35% fats and 16% protein.

if you read your own sources, they don't know the long term effects. As for proof as to my claims. Lets look at China, Korea, Japan. Prior to the the Western Diet coming over, they ate nothing but rice and veggies. You would think they would all be laden with diabetes, prostrate cancer, cardio vascular disease, a lot of "affluent" diseases.

But they don't. That is my research. Native Indians in the US ate nothing but corn, sweet potatoes and other types of carbs, they didn't have these types of diseases.

So I cite you cultures that have lived on carb only diets, and show that their numbers are exceeding lower than those in America.

My point about the authors of their own diet was a remark as to those who think high protein diets is the way to go, I remind them to look at the authors of the diets and see for themselves.

http://www.gjs.net/DEBATE.TXT is the debate between notables, Atkins, Sears, Ornish and McDougall. It's an interesting read.
  • nthnglsts
    nthnglsts Posts: 7
    Options
    When I first started this, Nature Valley Granola Bars kept me on track, the moist ones, :happy: dark chocolate, fruit & nut, sweet and salty. 140-180 calories. Drink a glass of cold water along with the bar. Also any kind of nuts. Hard boiled eggs. Cut back on the bread and potatoes. They fill you up but make you hungrier later.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options

if you read your own sources, they don't know the long term effects. As for proof as to my claims. Lets look at China, Korea, Japan. Prior to the the Western Diet coming over, they ate nothing but rice and veggies. You would think they would all be laden with diabetes, prostrate cancer, cardio vascular disease, a lot of "affluent" diseases.

But they don't. That is my research. Native Indians in the US ate nothing but corn, sweet potatoes and other types of carbs, they didn't have these types of diseases.

So I cite you cultures that have lived on carb only diets, and show that their numbers are exceeding lower than those in America.

My point about the authors of their own diet was a remark as to those who think high protein diets is the way to go, I remind them to look at the authors of the diets and see for themselves.

http://www.gjs.net/DEBATE.TXT is the debate between notables, Atkins, Sears, Ornish and McDougall. It's an interesting read.

You are getting WAY off-topic. The OP wanted to know about satiating foods and some of us responded with suggesting protein. Let's review what happened after that.

You responded with "see you in dialysis"

Then I posted two studies which prove that consuming a high level of protein does not cause dialysis or kidney damage. You had no response to refute that and instead you switched the debate to the merits of the McDougal approach over Atkins and Ornish and Sears.

Not sure why you felt the need to do that. Perhaps when I suggested to the OP to use protein to increase satiety, you must have taken that statement as my stance against eating carbs or carb-based diets. Nothing could be further from the truth. As evidenced by my journal, I believe carbs (including starchy carbs) are an important component of a healthy diet. My girlfriend is living proof that one can do well on a low-protein, high carb diet. She does a lot better eating a lot of starchy carbs. Yet, she has a ripped physique and a bicep peak that puts mine to shame.

As for the Atkins, McDougal, Ornish and Sears debate, I honestly could not care less about them. To me, while they have their merits, they are still part of a group of people who promote one-size-fits-all diets. I prefer science based approaches from people like Lyle McDonald, Tom Venuto, and Alan Aragon who understand that diet plans need to be individually tailored according to each person's goals, metabolism and sensitivity to carbs.

And since you seem to be keen on using non-scientific, observational data, active people have been habitually consuming large amounts of protein for at least several decades without any reported increase in the incidence of kidney problems. If such a problem were going to occur, it seems likely that it would have shown up by now. While this certainly doesn’t prove that high protein intakes aren’t potentially detrimental to kidney function, the data in support of that idea would seem to be lacking both from a scientific and real-world point of view.

Those Asian nations and native American didn't suffer from the metabolic disorders you mention because they followed the #1 dietary rule when it comes to health...they ate in moderation. Being fat is in and of itself, highly inflammatory. The cultures mentioned above stayed slim. Also, ever heard of the Inuit? Try googling them. They ate an all fat, all protein diet. As the Inuit and carb-eating cultures have shown, eating in moderation trumps macro considerations each day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Also, if you want to use the absurd argument to "look at the authors" to debate the merits of eating plans, do a search on Martin Berkham, Tom Venuto, Alan Aragon, Mark Sisson, and see how they look.

So I realize that the horse has already left the barn, perhaps we should stop this thread hijack. If you want to respond, please send me an e-mail and try to stick to point. Let's stay away from the vegan vs. animal based debates. I’ve heard all the vegan arguments before and I totally I understand that a vegan diet works fantastically when applied correctly. No need to preach to the choir on veganism.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    Taem, you come off as militantly vegan, you attack pretty much every other lifestyle that isn't yours, and when asked to back it up, you spout Internet dogma, severely outdated or irrelevant research, or anecdotal evidence. In any of these threads I have not once seen a shred of evidence for the ludicrously outdated claims you have made. That is all.