Food addiction -- real or excuse?

Options

Replies

• marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    I think there is food addiction, but maybe there is also food conditioning. Not necessarily addiction, but just eating alot out of habit or carelessness, to the point of not even being aware how many calories one is ingesting.

So I guess I believe there is food addiction, but that there is also extreme careless, uneducated eating going on that behaves like addiction...does that make sense? Maybe not.
  • nibblerbigcat
    Options
    I think there is food addiction, but maybe there is also food conditioning. Not necessarily addiction, but just eating alot out of habit or carelessness, to the point of not even being aware how many calories one is ingesting.

So I guess I believe there is food addiction, but that there is also extreme careless, uneducated eating going on that behaves like addiction...does that make sense? Maybe not.

It makes perfect sense to me. There are so many people I've talked to that have NO CLUE how many calories are in what they are eating. Some people don't take the time to educate themselves on nutrition and how to balance calories to maintain a healthy weight.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    I studied different types of addictions in school and I think food is and can be a formulated into an addiction or in some cases a disease (e.g., bulimia, anorexia, binging...etc). It is in essence replacing something (i.e., emotions, nervousness, stress, fears, guilt...etc). To make ones self feel better they turn to something, alcohol, illegal drugs, exercise, food, cutting, sex...etc. Truly the list could go on it is a personal preference for the person. There are psychological factors when it comes to eating for many. Many people do not look at food as just fuel, they look at it more. For example, eating certain foods like apple or cherry pies reminds me of my grandmother and staying over at her house. There are emotional connections to food for a lot of people.
    Just my opinion! :bigsmile:
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so far for your input! I have to say, i was so happy to come back from lunch and see/read all the posts.

I think that questions like these can seem hurtful/contentious, but that they're important matters for people (especially, in this case, people who may have a history of a warped relationship with food) to discuss.

I wasn't surprised by the responses.

For those of you who didn't check out the article and the comments, I want to post the first few (I'm just going to take the first few comments on the article, I'm not picking and choosing) so people can see WHY I thought it was a good idea to bring up this topic. It seems to me that MFP-ers opnions are generally out of line with the population (or at least the population reading and posting comments on weight-related articles on MSNBC.com).

Reader #1 -- Until people admit that they have a problem with food it will not go away...heavy people are deluding themselves into thinking that they do not have a problem...I used to be FAT and made all the excuses I could but deep down I knew the truth about WHY.....I simply ate too much and did not exercise....until I admitted that I had a problem and I took control and responsibility and no longer allowed food to control me I would always be fat...was it easy..NO of course not but a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Denial is a deep and dark river and a lot of us are swimming in it!!!

Reader #2 -- I hate people who wan't the world to change so that they don't have to lose weight. I'm sorry, but I hate fat chicks, and when they tell me I and the rest of our nation needs to redefine our standard of beauty so she can continue her bad eating habits, I get a little angered.

Reader #3 -- We are all victims. We are not responsible for our own destructive behavior.

Doenst that make you feel better?

Reader #4 -- The point of this article is that Food Addiction is an addiction and illness that needs to be treated like any other addiction: with medical and professional help, caring, and support. People have no idea where to go for help with food addiction, and they need positive support, not ridicule. If you think an addict can control their addiction, you are sadly mistaken. No one is saying an addict is a victim, but they are not in control of their addiction, and as we all know, addictions are VERY tricky. Many people relapse. Loving support from others is essential.

Reader #1 -- (In response to Reader #4) until people recognize and admit that they have an addiction in the 1st place they will never attempt to get the help that they need.......when you say that people have no idea where to go for help...what are you talking about....they need to start with themselves..there is no pill you can take or spell you can cast....YOU have the power NOT the food!!!

How about Joining a gym..they all have personal trainers and the 1st two sessions are usually free...they will tell you what to eat and when and when and how to work out....a Dr can tell you the same thing....or how about start walking and stop buying JUNK....I found that if the food wasn't in the house I couldn't eat it.....the responsibility lies with the individual and no one else.

Reader #3 (again)-- This article is nothing but comfort food (pun intended) for the millions of people who do not take responsibility for their food intake. It is the restaurant's fault because of portion size, fast food industry's fault due to composition of the menu, grocery's fault because they dont carry fresh vegetables. I eat a pound of chocolate because I am addicted. We have an epidemic of obesity. In some states over 30 percent of people are obese. Do we really have addiction at that level. No, we have poor choices around eating and excercise.

We are a people of rationaliations. It is never our fault. My did doesnt do well in school, it is the teacher's fault. Im unhappy, it is my parents fault. I smoke cigarettes...it is big tobacco's fault. My teenage son drinks beer, it is due to advertising. My kid eats McDonalds 4 days a week, it is because they put toys in the packaging.......................Does anyone own their own behavior?
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/13/7077006-whether-its-food-or-drugs-addiction-is-the-same-new-study-finds

I just read this article on a study conducted that looked at food addiction, and found it to be psycholgically and physicologically similar (identical, perhaps) to drug and alcohol addiction. The article points out that not all obese people are food addicts and, in fact, it seems to be a small portion of the people tested.

However, as interesting as the article was (and it is -- check it out!) the comments section was lit up with debate about whether or not food addiction is a real condition or just an excuse for people who are overweight/obese.

I posted my opinion in the comments section, but I'm interested in bringing this (FRIENDLY) debate (it wasn't so friendly over there) to the MFP forum, to get the opinions of people who are very involved with the food decisions and eating process.

So what do you think -- is food addiction real addiction, comparable to drug/alcohol addictions, or is it just a way for society to allow obese and overweight individuals to be victims of biology instead of victims of choice?

(I'm going to keep my opinion out of it, because I really do want to see what arguments people have for either side. PLEASE keep this friendly, I would hate to have caused unnecessary cattiness/rudeness/cruelty.)

I don't get the "excuse" part. How is calling something an addiction an "excuse". People can manage addictions, with a lot of hard work.

Debbie
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree that it is the same as any other addiction. On the other hand, I also agree that people eat and are overweight for completely different reasons.

2677177.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • IferLioy
    IferLioy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I totaly agree with the post! If i could quit eating I would! It would be much easier!
  • Amysgetnfit
    Amysgetnfit Posts: 231
    Options
    In a way I think it is, or maybe its a little like an obsessive compulsive behavior, especially for me with the dieting/then not dieting. When Im not dieting I want to plow through the pantry, especially if Im stressed or upset. Im thinking about food even when I know Im not hungry, & sometimes cant stop eating until Im so full that I make myself ill. Then when I am dieting its the opposite, Im obssessed with exersise, calories, nutritious foods etc. Addiction or control issue... fine line. definitely a problem, not make believe.
    Thought of creating a necklace like a shock collar in disguise, you program it to (example) 2000 calories & as you eat it keeps track , after 2000 calories you put food in your mouth it zaps you!
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I want to point out that "food addiction" isn't just from emotional problems. Many people claim they are "addicted" to food and aren't suffering psychologically. Many people who are overweight aren't depressed. Some people do eat because they can't handle their own emotions, but that's not the case for everybody.

I don't believe that food addiction is legitimate as drug or alcohol addiction. Drugs and alcohol are carcinogenic. Food isn't. People suffer from withdrawal symptoms when they stop abusing drugs and alcohol. People don't suffer from withdrawal symptoms after eating less, except losing weight.

Food addiction may not produce the same immediate physical withdrawal symptoms as drugs or alcohol, but once the addict has detoxed from the drugs/alcohol, the compulsion is still there. It is the same with food. I agree with what is being said about you still have to eat, but I also think if you feel that you are addicted there are things you can quit (i.e. fried foods, sweets, fatty foods, etc.). You still have to go in the grocery store... an alcoholic still has to shop too and they sell beer in the grocery stores (at least in CT), ex-smokers... same thing.... So should they avoid shopping? No.. just exercise some self control. Be aware that there are things you cannot put in your body, even in small quantities. Some folks can have (and stop at) one ... the addict cannot.

One thing most addictions have in common is self loathing of some kind or another. Addicts punish themselves by doing bad things to their bodies. In that respect, all addiction is the same. Addicts need to not only learn to conquer their addiction, but also work on healing psychologically and emotionally or eventually it will happen again.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    they already have excuses for being fat...they blame mcdonalds for ease of access to bad foods. they blame 'fat' genes that dont exist. they blame their parents etc etc.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Excuses are part of denial and it's difficult to get to the core of things and admit you have a problem with food.

It's very similar to alcoholism. A drive down a road dotted with fast food joints is an easy way back to a relaspe (binge).
  • calicat40
    calicat40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    wow so glad i didnt go read the comments on the article. People are so hurtful and misinformed. I have to say that I dont blame anyone for my issue and I do take full ownership but also acknowledge that there is an addictive personality trait in me and I need to curb my addiction to have a better life. I hope none of those folks who said those hurtful things ever find themselves overweight or addicted to anything because they won't like how they feel about themselves or how other think of them.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Addiction is compulsive use that causes harm. If you compulsively eat and you are obese, you are an addict. Doesn't matter what it is, it's the same part of the brain. The excuse(actually denial) is denying you're an addict. Addicts aren't bad. It's a disease, are diabetics automatically bad? Nope, neither are addicts.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    If you boil it down to the simple fact that a person has an unhealthy/unbalanced "relationship" with whatever thing (drugs, food, alcohol, sex) then sure, they're about the same and I think there can definitely be food addiction.

I think this is very true. I can only speak for myself, but I know I easily fall in to a habit of lying to myself about what I am eating and what it will do. :ohwell: I believe that self delusion is a powerful part of addiction. I guess if I always treat it as an addiction, I will always be wary and hopefully less likely to go back to that completely unhealthy place. Good topic!:flowerforyou:
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I want to point out that "food addiction" isn't just from emotional problems. Many people claim they are "addicted" to food and aren't suffering psychologically. Many people who are overweight aren't depressed. Some people do eat because they can't handle their own emotions, but that's not the case for everybody.

I don't believe that food addiction is legitimate as drug or alcohol addiction. Drugs and alcohol are carcinogenic. Food isn't. People suffer from withdrawal symptoms when they stop abusing drugs and alcohol. People don't suffer from withdrawal symptoms after eating less, except losing weight.
    Actually, I saw an episode of this show on OWN called addicted to food, and this one woman who even sprinkled her PEAS with sugar....eww.....went through serious withdrawals from sugar/fried foods etc. She was sick as a dog. It was crazy.
  • pyro13g
    Options

You don't need to be suffering psychologically to be an addict. You don't need to be depressed. Food addiction is as legitimate as any other addiction. The definition is very clear and very concise.

People do not always suffer withdrawal. That is a part of physical dependency and not part of the definition of addiction. You can also be dependent on a substance and not be an addict..

People do suffer withdrawal from food substances. Carb flu is withdrawal. Withdrawal symptoms are also not part of defining an addiction. Withdrawal symptoms are part of physical dependency which does not make you an addict.
  • nibblerbigcat
    Options
    I never explicitly stated that I don't believe food can cause an addiction. I just said I don't think it's as legitimate as drugs and alcohol. Obviously, people who are obese have a problem. But that problem can stem from anywhere, not just from an addiction to food. Or it could stem from the way you were raised (parents who eat poorly = children who eat poorly). I just don't like how people grasp onto one possible explanation for obesity and use that to explain why so many people are obese.

There is a freakin' obesity epidemic happening and it's not because of an addiction to food! It's because of the crappy, sedentary lifestyles people are living.

If addictions to food were so prevalent and so common, then why only now are we facing an obesity epidemic?

My point is that there was a time in the United States when obesity wasn't so common. When diet ad commericals weren't on every channel and when there weren't aisles dedicated solely to weight loss in supermarkets. There has to be other things happening than an epidemic of addiction to food. Which I think is the enviornment we live in. It's so easy to get food, eat lots and lots of extra food, and have none of it be healthy. It's also a hassle to get excercise in.

With that said, I do believe a person can become addicted to food. I just don't think it's the cause for so many people being obese. Just like I don't believe in a fat gene. This is a scientist's way of attempting to explain the cause of what's happening before their eyes.

Also, I'm aware that a person who stops eating 10,000 calories a day of garbage would feel like **** onced they stopped. I was referring to withdrawal symptoms that require hospitilization and careful monitering.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    You may want to trace through the lie Ansel Keys told and how it snowballed to where we are, the lies we are fed, but that's a different topic. Basically a "follow the money" type of thing.

No one is saying addiction is the cause of all obesity. There are many paths to it. But, as far as food addiction goes, it is real and as legitimate, by definition, as any other.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it is a very real thing for some... an excuse for others.

I doubt that a large proportion of overeaters are physically addicted. Just like most people that enjoy drinking 6 or 7 beers in a sitting aren't alcoholics. They just over-drink when they sit down to do it, but it doesn't affect their social lives or jobs etc.