How the HELL?!

Options
Seriously, HOW do you get through the whole not being able to walk like a normal person and aching muscles? Putting me right off doing exercise!!

Replies

• sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It gets easier!! You're body will get accustomed to exercise, and the aches and pains won't be as bad.

On the other hand, if you are in a ton of pain, maybe you're pushing yourself to hard. However, that's really hard to tell objectively. Stick with it for another week or so and see how you feel.

Good luck!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Stretch!! ALOT!!!!
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    Drink lots of water after a hard workout...i found that it really does help recovery
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I feel weird if I'm not sore.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, go back to the gym and work out again. And add some slow, gentle stretching to your workout.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Protein helps your muscles recoup faster. Try a protein shake after your workouts.
    Plus, when you think it isn't worth it, just remember how you want to look!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It gets better! Take ibuprofen and drink lots of water. The first week (or sometimes month) of hard workouts, are just that HARD. But they get easier.

I actually like the mild ache I have after most workouts now and feel like I didn't do enough if they don't have some ache.
  • See_Jenn_Run
    Options
    Definitely stretch & make sure you're taking in some protein after a tough workout. If it's a sharp, acute pain, you're pushing yourself too hard and should ease off. If it's a dull ache, you'll learn to love the burn and will know that you're working on building some fabulous muscles!
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    Water, Yerba Mate, NSAIDS, nourish yourself. Eat an antiflammatory diet devoid of known allergens. Fueling for recovery is key!
  • Krystal924
    Krystal924 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I always remember: No Pain, No Gain!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I feel weird if I'm not sore.

I like it, the soreness lets me know it's working...my armpits are killing me today
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Soaking in an epsom salt bath also helps with the soreness.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. After about a week, you wont feel the soreness so much. I like when I feel sore tho, I feel like I had a great workout the day before.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Your endorphins will soon counteract the physical pain! Stick with it! :wink:
  • SamStr
    SamStr Posts: 1
    Options
    From what I have read, if you are sore after a workout then the next day do some low intensity cardio to get the blood moving again and to flush the latic acid out. You might think this is craziness if you are really achy but I've tried it and it works. Also- if you are sore after every workout you may not be doing the best service to your body. Try dialing it back just a little to give your muscles time to recover.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    You have to work through it. I started 30 DS a few weeks ago and I thought I was going to die after days 1-4 but it gets easier. I am still a little sore especially when I push really hard but it is nothing like it was. Push through it and do not stop.
  • cjasins
    cjasins Posts: 93
    Options
    Try a foam roller.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    you just push through it! =D
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk helps a ton! So does drinking a nice warm beer! You could also get a bike. No/Low impact on the joints. Great cardio and if you are in decent shape and live about 15 miles from work great way to commute.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    waterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwater

And work out a different muscle group so the ones that are sore have time to rest and rebuild.