Do you find this offensive?

Options
Ranting/ Needing support:

Ok so I find it offensive when my "friends" eat extremely fattening and unhealthy food in front of me all day. In fact it really grosses me out. I really dont want to see you cramming pizza down your face with grease dripping off of it, I have no desire to even attempt to speculate how many calories are in your cheesy bacon ranch fries, and I really don't want to know that's the best cake you've eaten in your entire life. As "friends" they know physically and emmotionally I'm 100% in this. I have to no other choice or option but to lose weight. So why do they continue to do this? Are the oblivious to the fact that it bothers me? Then when I do say something I'm some how being mean and cruel.

Maybe I'm being crazy and blowing it way out! Do you ever feel like the whole world is against you?

Replies

• anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I would be annoyed. I get annoyed when people rant and rave above a new crash diet they are trying.. because in the end they are gonna complain about the weight gain once they stopped. I would say to this "friend" that you would appreciate it if she took her pizza eating bacon ranch french fry stuffing butt somewere else LOL.. or maybe a nicer way.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I think friends should respect what you're trying to do, even if they're not doing it themselves. While they probably won't change their habits when you're around, they shouldn't make you feel bad. They sound like jerks, imo.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    No, I dont think it is offensive at all. It comes a time when you need to make a choice. If you cannot handle beoing around it, dont be. I am big on the "suck it up attitude" today. Communicate to them that you dont want to be around those types of food, and if they blow you off well they arent that good if friends anyways!
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I know that feel bro. My mother and my father always talk about wanting to lose weight, but always bring fast food in the house. It pisses me off a lot because they know how much I hate that stuff now.
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Unless you've told them it bothers you, they probably are oblivious. But just as they need to respect the fact that you are trying to lose weight, you'll have to remember that they are not and while they may not be making good decisions, you still are. You can't control others' actions, just your own.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You know what I've learned? People are very self centered. They may care about you and realize you're on this journey, but honestly... they still want to eat their greasy pizza, discuss the "best cake ever" and such. They are focused on their life and the fact that they still enjoy these things. I think until you walk down the weight loss road - you won't be very understanding to how the other person feels.

I spent months and months having to politely decline offers from people at work - candy, cookies, pop, etc. I kept saying "no thank you" even through their snide comments, rude words and glares. I did this for ME and not for THEM. If they want to eat that stuff - fine. *I* do not want to eat it.
  • mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    Options
    Not really, Because I'm not the one eating it. They are making that choice all by themselves. Plus it's their body, they can do what they want.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    No, you can't dictate your health by what they do. They shouldn't have to change their habits for your sake either. It would be a prob if they kept tempting you or you do lunch only at fast food places, but other than that I think you will find yourself constantly offended if you are bothered by others that much. Americans are a fat culture. People will continue to make their own choices. You should also try to make some friends that share your goals so that you have a balance. :)
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I think part of learning to eat healthy also involves learning to be around people who aren't and learning to be in situations where you sometimes have to make the decision between caving and not.

With that being said, I don't think it's fair for you to get angry at your friends who haven't made the decision you have to alter their eating around you. You can't expect them to change their habits when they aren't ready to do so. We all know how hard making that change is.
  • madworld711
    Options
    I sometimes find myself getting angry when I see my husband eat this stuff. But, deep down I know that it's not logical to expect him to never eat what he wants when we're together. I can't expect other people to deny certain foods because I am onto healthy eating. So, it's more myself that I get annoyed with because deep down I want that "best cake ever" or that super greasy pizza.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    No I don't, in fact I'd go the other way actually. I find it really offensive that people judge based on what they're eating. Why hould someone eating a pizza offend you? Maybe you eating a salad offends them? Grow up and get over yourself, you can't tell other people what to eat and why the hell should you? It' their life. You eat what you want and let them eat what they want. It's not like they're forcing you to eat it! And if you don't like it, go eat on your own, I expect that if someone eating a pizza offends you that much, you'll be eating mot of your meals alone anyway.
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just as they're not controlling your life, you're going to have to not control theirs. Sure, their choices may not match well with yours, but it's your body you're worried about, not theirs.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Why is what you want to do more important than what they want to do?
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Well, to be fair....are they trying to get you to eat it also? because that would be offensive to me.....but if they are just doing their thing and living their lives as they always have, I would have to say that maybe you are being to sensitive. Just from my own experience, I am the one who decided to make this change in my life, and I dont really expect other people to change how they eat/live or whatever (even if I secretly think they need to)
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I feel you...I find myself avoiding people who eat like that. If I'm ever at a party or anything and I bring a dish, I will bring a yummy dessert that is a WW recipe or something like that, one where you almost can't tell it's "light." People are usually shocked by how good it is. I hope you can convince your friends that you don't have to eat deep fried double bacon ranch whatevers in order to have a good time! Lol.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't really get annoyed... My partner dons't eat clean, I do... Most of the time we end up cooking diffrent things ( in the same kitchen- together) ... we ahve just agreeded to disagree. No skin off my back that she dosn't want to eat that way. Nore does she need too... I just say to eat there own,
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Don't like it? Don't look. It's your life style change not theirs.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    People eating is a part of life, and if you are in it for the long haul, you are going to run into situations like this a lot. You might as well start dealing with it now. It's not going to get any better!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.
    I work at a pizza place and I have to watch people eat garbage all day. We are located right next to a Mcdonalds and I have to see my 400 pound shift manager eat Mcdonalds and Pizza 3+ times a day.

But my boyfriend made a good point that to them it's probably really annoying for them to watch me eat a yogurt cup, a piece of fruit an a half sandwich for lunch every day.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Are you offended or jealous? You can't expect everyone to stop their eating habits just because you've changed yours.