Overnight Oatmeal... no cooking required

Options

Replies

• charelaine
    charelaine Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've been doing OOIAJ (Overnight Oats in a Jar) for a long time now. I make so many varieties, they're under my recipes.

Pina Colada OOIAJ:

In a mason jar (or finished PB jar) Add:

1/3 cup oats (your choice, flavored or not, steel or not)
    1/3 cup pineapple yogurt
    1/3 cup light coconut milk
    1 Tbsp Shredded Coconut
    1 Tbsp Pineapple (dried, tidbits or fresh crushed)
    1 Tbsp of crushed Macadamia nuts.

Stir together, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.

Not a fan of pineapple or coconut, but the idea sounds amazing! Do you have other recipes with different flavors?
  • nthegecko1
    nthegecko1 Posts: 21
    Options
    sounds delicious!
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    I do the same thing, but actually just with mashed banana and a little almond milk, I make it in the morning like 7 am ish..... then its usually my mid morning meal at like 10:30... I just leave the oats, banana, like 2 tb almond milk, in a tupperware thing and its amazing by 10:30 thick and filling this am I added allspice, cinnomin and PB2 too!!! It was like a giant cookie... Amazing!
  • WhomII
    WhomII Posts: 24
    Options
    These sound delish!
    Hubby loves coconut so I can't wait to try this!

BTW...raising hand. What is with the "bump"? I am new to this posting here.
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    This sounds extraordinary! Thank you for sharing this!
  • balowry1
    balowry1 Posts: 85
    Options
    Bump!
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    That sounds good!!!

Look up the Alton Brown "Good Eats" episode... He made oatmeal in a coffee pot and set it to go off in the morning... I have never tried it but the concept is awesome.
  • Luv2Gs
    Luv2Gs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've also started doing overnight oats after reading about them on a blog. The possibilities are endless. I'm using old fashioned oats, milk, and some plain greek yogurt. I then add in whatever fruits are available in the house/that I'm in the mood for (mashed bananas, fresh diced peaches, blueberries, blackberries, etc). I also like to add a dash of cinnamon. I tried adding some almond butter but didn't like that as much as just the fruit.
  • mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options
    i might have to try them, i usually just eat them as they are with cold milk
  • cynfullcyn
    cynfullcyn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Is this with steel cut oats, or regular oats?

I've only used the regular, but I think it will work with both.

i tried this with steel cut and it didn't work so well. the oats were still hard but they did cook faster in the microwave so maybe it would be best to do this way with regular oats
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    i just tried this last nite. It was awesome!!! I did 5 grain with almond milk, and blueberries. In the morning i added fage, diced peach, and some splenda. i'm in love.

So glad you liked it!
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    That sounds good!!!

Look up the Alton Brown "Good Eats" episode... He made oatmeal in a coffee pot and set it to go off in the morning... I have never tried it but the concept is awesome.

Very interesting, but I can't picture how that would work. Wouldn't that ruin the coffee pot?
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I tried these last night with Steel Cut Oats they were soft enough but someone told me 1/2 cup of oats and 1/2 cup of greek plain and 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk....anyone starting to see what I finally realized. Yeah Sour cream milky oats is not good. I tried 2 sweet n low and still way to sour. I'm not a big sweet in the morning person but this was not good. I'm going to try tonight again with regular oats and just the almond milk and then add sweetner or fruit. Hopefully make a big difference.
  • traceyann1214
    traceyann1214 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    I tried these last night with Steel Cut Oats they were soft enough but someone told me 1/2 cup of oats and 1/2 cup of greek plain and 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk....anyone starting to see what I finally realized. Yeah Sour cream milky oats is not good. I tried 2 sweet n low and still way to sour. I'm not a big sweet in the morning person but this was not good. I'm going to try tonight again with regular oats and just the almond milk and then add sweetner or fruit. Hopefully make a big difference.

@Gary
    Sorry it didn't work well for you. Just play around with the ingredient amounts next time and hope it turns out better.
  • westbrja
    westbrja Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Could I warm this in the microwave in the morning? I've never tried cold oatmeal and not sure I would like it.
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yeah totally works when you warm it up.

It actually is really good if you just like normal oatmeal because you get more oatmeal per liquid than you would if you where doing it normally.

just add about 1/3 extra liquid, cook it for a few minutes in the microwave then leave overnight and all the liquid will be absorbed by the oats - all you need to do is just warm it again for normal oats.
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    Could I warm this in the microwave in the morning? I've never tried cold oatmeal and not sure I would like it.

Hmmm... If you make it with only milk I think it would be fine. Not certain how yogurt would hold up in the microwave, it might curdle...