Overnight Oatmeal... no cooking required

Options

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I tried these last night with Steel Cut Oats they were soft enough but someone told me 1/2 cup of oats and 1/2 cup of greek plain and 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk....anyone starting to see what I finally realized. Yeah Sour cream milky oats is not good. I tried 2 sweet n low and still way to sour. I'm not a big sweet in the morning person but this was not good. I'm going to try tonight again with regular oats and just the almond milk and then add sweetner or fruit. Hopefully make a big difference.

I tried it and it was sour. I added 1/2 TBL of honey, some cinnamon and fresh ground nutmeg. It was much better then. I wish I had some blueberries for it, they would be great!

Well, honey does make everything better :wink:

I think the whole "recipe" is in determining what ratio works best for your own personal taste.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning and have been wanting to get away from the oatmeal cups I am using now. I am totally going to try this!
  • rubyredlips
    Options
    I am going to make this right now for my breakfast tomorrow sounds divine ,thank you :)
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! hot breakfast doesn't 'do it for me' sometimes but this I could handle. :) Thanks for the great tip!!
  • Heather3186
    Options
    thanks for posting! Going to try this!
  • bpodz77
    bpodz77 Posts: 1
    Options
    how many calories is this in a serving ?
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    You'd need to add the yoghurt milk and oats (weight) into the calorie counting food thing on here I expect.. depends on the yoghurt used and 'equal' quantities I expect. :)
  • armacd
    armacd Posts: 95
    Options
    Sounds great! Can't wait to try :)
  • courtclerkkris
    courtclerkkris Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sooo many ideas in this post. Thanks everyone for posting them! Can't wait to give them a try.
  • SammieRae43
    SammieRae43 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I can't wait to try this! I LOVE PINA COLADA'S!!!!

I've been doing OOIAJ (Overnight Oats in a Jar) for a long time now. I make so many varieties, they're under my recipes.

Pina Colada OOIAJ:

In a mason jar (or finished PB jar) Add:

1/3 cup oats (your choice, flavored or not, steel or not)
    1/3 cup pineapple yogurt
    1/3 cup light coconut milk
    1 Tbsp Shredded Coconut
    1 Tbsp Pineapple (dried, tidbits or fresh crushed)
    1 Tbsp of crushed Macadamia nuts.

Stir together, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
  • tiggernic
    tiggernic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This sounds wonderful, Can you use any sort of yoguart mixed with the milk?
    im going to try it with some walnuts and blueberrys. So hungry roll on breakfast.
  • jrn1115
    jrn1115 Posts: 35
    Options
    In the evening fill a bowl or tupperware with equal parts raw oats, yogurt and milk (or adjust to taste) and leave in the fridge overnight. In the morning, the oats will be perfectly “done” and ready to eat cold. Just add fruit, granola, nuts, peanut butter & jelly, or other toppings when time to eat. Great simple breakfast, which is especially delicious in the summertime when you don’t want to eat anything hot!

this sounds delicious! being the oatmeal lover that i am i'm gonna try this out!
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! I love oatmeal, but haven't been eating it during the summer because I don't want a hot breakfast. Can't wait to try it! Thanks!
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    A Few OOIAJ/Cold Oatmeal Recipes

OOIAJ stands for Overnight Oats in a Jar for those that have never heard of it. It's a meal or snack that can be made right before you go to bed at night and it'll become perfectly creamy and delicious by morning.

Here are a few of my favorites:

BBMM OOIAJ Blueberry Muffin Mix:

In a jar with a lid you can screw on tightly (a finished PB jar is PERFECT), mix in the folowing ingredients and stir or shake thouroughly.

1/3c (5Tbsp) of Oatmeal (I used BetterOats Chai Spice packet)

1/3c (5Tbsp) of Yogurt (Dannon Light&Fit Boysenberry)

1/3c (5Tbsp) of Milk (I used Silk Vanilla Soy Light)

1Tbsp of Crunchy PB (or if you're using an almost jar of PB, omit this ingredient because there's leftover PB in the jar LOL)

1Tbsp of any kind of nut or seed (I used WHOLE Flaxseeds)

1-2Tbsp of Fresh or Frozen or even Dried Blueberries

Now when you eat this, feel free to add toppings, I did low-fat granola & a small handful of fresh blueberries.

Cranberry Orange Spiced OOIAJ:

Same rule; in a jar with a lid you can screw on tightly, mix in the following ingredient and stir or shake thouroughly.

1/3c (5Tbsp) of Oatmeal (I used Quaker's Cinnamon Spice)

1/3c (5Tbsp) of Yogurt (I used Honey'd Fat Free Greek Yogurt)

1/3c (5Tbsp) of OJ or Cranberry(I used Florida Natural with Pulp)

1Tbsp of any kind of nut or seed (I used crushed Walnuts)

1tsp of Orange Zest

1Tbsp of Dried Cranberries

Top with granola if you'd like.

Chocolate Dipped Strawberries OOIAJ:

1/3c (5Tbsp) of Oatmeal (I used Lavish Dark Chocolate Oats)

1/3c (5Tbsp) of Yogurt (I used Dannon Light&Fit Strawberry)

1/3c (5Tbsp) of Milk (I used Silk Chocolate Light)

1Tbsp of Chocolate Spread (I used Peanut Co.'s Dark Chocolate Dreams Spread)

1Tbsp of Mini Chocolate Chip Morsels

1/4c Frozen strawberries or 2Tbsp Fresh Diced Strawberries

Top with more fresh strawberries.

Pina Colada OOIAJ:

1/3c (5Tbsp) of Oatmeals (I used Bob Red Mill's Organic Whole Oats)

1/3c (5Tbsp) of Yogurt (I used a Pina Colada Yogurt)

1/3c (5Tbsp) of Milk or Juice (I did 1/2 Vanilla Soy Light & 1/2 Pineapple Juice)

1Tbsp crushed Macademia Nuts

1Tbsp Shredded Coconut

2Tbsp of Dried or Diced/Tidbits of Pineapple

Top with granola and toasted shredded coconut (toast shredded coconut in a small frying pan with NO oil or spray, until it turns golden to darken brown.)

I didn't post nutritional info, because it'll vary depending on what kinds of products you use to make these. I get full off of 1/2 a serving. I usually eat it for breakfast and save the second half for a snack or for a fruit dip.

I hope you try and enjoy! There's LIMITLESS options for OOIAJ!

Trisha
  • colo_ii
    colo_ii Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kaylynn54
    kaylynn54 Posts: 141
    Options
    I will try this tonight and have some yummy oatmeal in the morning. Thanks for the tip :-)
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    I did a plain version with my own homemade yogurt (just yogurt and oats) and I couldn't be happier with it.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi this looks awesome! :)

Just a question - I have some oat sachets (flavoured ones)... would this work by mixing that with milk and then refrigerating?

Thanks!