The diet that works.

Options
So my co-worker just got back from a cruise and she said she gained about 10 lbs just eating whatever was on the boat. She is doing a soup diet that is very similar to the cabbage soup diet (just a different soup, I think) and the diet promises healthy weight loss of 10 - 17 lbs in 7 days. My co-worker has lost 5 lbs in 2 days.

Now - I KNOW that this seems unreasonable. But I wanted to run it by you all anyway.

(Note: I have been steadily losing weight since June 1st - except for a little plateau I had a week ago) and have lost a total of 11.8 lbs).

Here is the diet:

Carrots & Green Beans (AS MANY AS YOU WANT)
6 large green onions
2 green peppers
1 or 2 cans of tomatoes
1 bunch of celery
1 large head of cabbage
1 pkg Lipton Soup Mix
Season with salt, pepper, curry, parsley, if desired, or bouillon
(1 cup of beef broth or hot sauce)
Cut the vegetables into small or medium pieces and cover with water - boil fast for ten minutes.
Cut to simmer and continue cooking until vegetables are tender.
This soup can be eaten anytime you are hungry.
Eat as much as you want, whenever you want.
This soup will not add calories.
THE MORE YOU EAT THE MORE YOU WILL LOSE.
Fill a thermos in the morning if you will be away during the day.
If eaten alone for indefinite periods, YOU WILL SUFFER MALNUTRITION.

DAY ONE:
All fruits except bananas.
Cantaloupe and watermelon are lower in calories than most fruits. Eat only the soup and fruits.
FOR DRINKS: Unsweetened tea, cranberry juice or water.

DAY TWO:
All vegetables.
Eat until you are stuffed with all the fresh raw vegetables. Try to eat green leafy vegetables and stay away from dry beans, peas and corn. Eat along with the soup. At dinner reward yourself with a big baked potato and butter. DO NOT eat any fruits at dinner.

DAY THREE:
Eat all the soup, fruits & veggies you want.
DO NOT have a baked potato.
If you have eaten for three days, as above, and have not cheated, you will find that you have lost 5 to 7 pounds.

DAY FOUR:
Bananas & skim milk.
Eat as many as 3 bananas and drink as many glasses of water as you can on this day, along with the soup. Bananas are high in calories and carbohydrates and so is the milk, but on this particular day your body will need the potassium and the carbohydrates, proteins & calcium to lessen your craving for sweets.

DAY FIVE:
Beef and tomatoes.
You may have 10-20 ounces of beef and a can of tomatoes or as many as 6 fresh tomatoes on this day. Try to drink at least 6-8 glasses of water this day to wash away the uric acid in your body. Eat the soup at least once today.

DAY SIX:
BEEF & VEGGIES.
Eat to your heart's content of the beef and veggies this day. You can even have two or three steaks if you like with green leafy vegetables. BUT NO BAKED POTATO. Eat the soup at least once this day.

DAY SEVEN:
BROWN RICE, UNSWEETENED FRUIT JUICE AND VEGGIES. Again, stuff yourself. Eat the soup at least once this day.

At the end of the seventh day, if you have not cheated, you will have lost 10-17 pounds. If you have lost more than 15 pounds, stay off the diet for at least two days before resuming again from day one.

--NO BREAD, ALCOHOL, OR ANY CARBONATED DRINKS ARE ALLOWED--

This seven day eating plan can be used as often as you like, as a matter of fact, if correctly followed it will clean your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well being as never before.

After only seven days of this process, you will begin to feel lighter by at least 10 and possibly 17 pounds, having an abundance of energy. Continue this plan as long as you wish and feel the difference.

This diet is fast fat burning and the secret is that you will burn more calories than you take in. This diet does not lend itself to drinking any alcoholic beverages at any time because of the removal for fat build up in your system. GO OFF THE DIET FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE ANY INTAKE OF ALCOHOL.

Because everyone's digestive system is different, this diet affects everyone differently. After day three you will have more energy than when you began, if you do not cheat. After being on the diet for several days you will find your bowel movements have changed. **Eat a cup of bran or fiber*** Although you can have black coffee with this diet, you may find that you don't need the caffeine after the third day.

DEFINITE NO-NO'S:
BREAD, ALCOHOL, CARBONATED DRINKS (INCLUDING DIET)

Stick with water, unsweetened tea, black coffee, unsweetened fruit juices, cranberry juice & skimmed milk.

The basic fat burning soup can be eaten anytime you feel hungry. Eat as much as you wish. Remember - THE MORE YOU EAT THE MORE YOU WILL LOSE. NO FRIED FOODS OR BREAD. You can eat broiled or baked chicken instead of meat. ABSOLUTELY NO SKIN ON THE CHICKEN.

Any prescribed medication will not hurt you on this diet. Continue this plan as long as you wish and feel the difference both mentally and physically. If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish for the beef on only 1 of the beef days. You need high protein in the beef the other days.

THIS DIET WAS PREPARED BY SACRED HEART MEMORIAL HOSPITAL and used for overweight heart patients to lose rapidly, usually before any surgery.

So my question is.... is this safe? Does it work? Should I maybe keep it in my back pocket for when I hit my next plateau???

Replies

• skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    shakin head no no no
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    No good!
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    There's no way she could have gained 10 pounds of TRUE fat in one week, no matter how much she ate.

What really happened was she consumed too much sodium, and now her body is coming back to normal, releasing the water. That's the 5 lb loss.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Diets like this are ineffective.
    You may lose quick weight, but it's not going to be weight you keep off nor is it a way to eat you can sustain for a lifetime.
  • blondebaby9890
    Options
    NOOOOO!!!

The only diet you should ever follow is a balanced and healthy diet with exercise, burning more calories than you consume!!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don't like any diets that cut out any "healthy" food...fruits,veggies,ect..
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    shakin head no no no
    \

Agreed!
  • Ssocrrbabe
    Ssocrrbabe Posts: 51
    Options
    THIS DIET WAS PREPARED BY SACRED HEART MEMORIAL HOSPITAL and used for overweight heart patients to lose rapidly, usually before any surgery.

The key here is this is a diet made by a hospital for patients under DOCTOR Supervision! This is not a healthy diet for the average joe.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose 10-17 lbs in a week if they wanted to. But weight loss and fat loss are not the same thing. Good luck with your soup.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

Fad diets may help you lose weight in the short term - but YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO KEEP IT OFF.

Best way to lose weight?

Eat right. Eat less. Workout. Drink water.

Plain and simple.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight to be healthy (and that's the only smart reason to lose weight), then you should avoid such eating plans like the plague.

Here's a good rule of thumb: "Diet" comes from the Latin diaeta, meaning "way of life." Any "diet" that you cannot live on as a way of life is not worthy of the name... or your time!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Or you could try something a bit more reasonable: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/233474-the-latest-diet
  • satousan88
    satousan88 Posts: 29
    Options
    I stopped reading at "AS MANY AS YOU WANT"
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose 10-17 lbs in a week if they wanted to. But weight loss and fat loss are not the same thing. Good luck with your soup.

AMEN and this needs to be emphasize more on this site :-)
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    Like my mom always said, "If you have to ask, you know the answer is going to be no." If you had to ask people's opinions, you know it's a bad idea. And this silly diet has been going around for years, and no one has ever figured out where Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital is.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    NOOOOO!!!

The only diet you should ever follow is a balanced and healthy diet with exercise, burning more calories than you consume!!

100% agree
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Or you could try something a bit more reasonable: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/233474-the-latest-diet

YUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tcooper81
    tcooper81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise 3 weeks ago and I came back 8 pounds heavier. In 4 days. (And that's my average weight gain on a cruise as we take them often). It is absolutely not true weight gain. The desalinated sea water is still slightly higher in sodium content than the water you would normally drink at home, so your body is going to retain more water to begin with. On top of that, if you were once eating clean (or moderately clean, as I do) and you suddenly start eating foods with more carbs, more sodium, more sugar, you're going to retain more water on top of the water retention from the desalinated sea water. Your friend gained 10 pounds of water - she would have had to eat 35,000 excess calories over the cruise to gain a true 10 pounds. Now that she's home and watching what she eats, she's losing water weight. I guarantee it.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I actually tried this diet and i was very good... i lost only 3 pounds and i was starving the entire week... not worth it! Sorry to burst the bubble bc i was just as excited and interested too, but you will get tired to JUST fruit and JUST veggies the ENTIRE day, lol
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I actually tried this diet and i was very good... i lost only 3 pounds and i was starving the entire week... not worth it! Sorry to burst the bubble bc i was just as excited and interested too, but you will get tired to JUST fruit and JUST veggies the ENTIRE day, lol
    Im sorry I mean WASNT very good