Low Carb Lifestyle?? Yay? Or Nay?? Did you have success?

Options

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Define "low carb"?

I kick stared my weight loss by halving the carbs I was usually consuming - much more feasible than going cold turkey (very bad pun, sorry). I could still have potaotes with my dinner - but one as opposed to 2 or 3. A small spoon of rice, etc. instead of half teh plate.

Now, I try to stick to around 100g carbs a day, no more than 150. I don't know if that's classically "low carb" - it's certainly not Atkins or Dukan, but its a balance that my body responds well to, and is easy to live with.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    As a student majoring in nutrition, I say nay. Low carb diets are very unhealthy for the body. Diets such as the Atkins diet are so low in carbohydrates that your body will go into a state of ketosis.

You can read more detail about it here: http://women.webmd.com/guide/high-protein-low-carbohydrate-diets

Although low carb diets are tempting due to the quick results, they are not healthy in the long run. If your looking to be fit and health, feed your body with the nutrients it needs and consume a balanced diet. The key to loosing weight is simple, expend more calories than you consume. You will have success and feel great :)

Hope this helps!

PS- Carbohydrate restricted diets are beneficial for people suffering from insulin resistance issues such as diabetes and polycystic ovarian syndrome.

As a student majoring in nutrition, you should know that Atkins is high fat, not high protein.

Still ends with the same result. It stops your body functioning as it should and forces it to protect its major organs by putting you in ketosis.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'd be considered low carb but I try to keep my carb intake at 100 grams and under. On a good week, it's usually between 60-90. I like it. I have energy and I feel less bloated than I did when I didn't watch my carbs.

I've only been doing it for a couple months so I can't really tell you if it's helped me lose more weight than normally. I've been consistently losing 2 pounds a week since I first began my lifestyle change.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I have been cutting back on my starchy carbs and am noticing results with that. I still eat fruits and vegetables.

I have noticed an increase in energy from cutting back and I feel full longer.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    i tried the low carb thing a few years back, and yes, you will see quick results. But, who wants to live always craving what you can't have? My friend has been low carbing for years, (she cheats alot) haven't seen any real loss, and she is always sick.
    I will stick with the calorie thing. It works for me, and i wouldn't want it any other way.

Who wants to always be craving what you can't have? Would you tell that to a smoker or alcoholic?

Just because people might be addicted to sugar and grains and would crave it if they dropped it, doesn't mean they should continue eating them regularly or that the cravings would necessarily persist.

I would much rather eat my steak and bacon, and olive oil and veggies and be satisfied until my next meal.
    Who wants to always be concerned about counting calories and always being hungry for fear they might go over?

Are you saying the carbs, a natural substance that fuels the body is the same as cigarettes?! Really?!

I'd argue that our populations unhealthy addiction to sugar probably costs our healthcare more than smoking.

Grains are also unhealthy in that the majority of them contain gluten (which contrary to popular belief affects almost everyone) and a number of anti-nutrients.

I hate the 'everything in moderation' approach. If you know something is crap for your body, why eat it? And what is moderation? Once a day, once a week, once a month?
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    As a student majoring in nutrition, I say nay. Low carb diets are very unhealthy for the body. Diets such as the Atkins diet are so low in carbohydrates that your body will go into a state of ketosis.

You can read more detail about it here: http://women.webmd.com/guide/high-protein-low-carbohydrate-diets

Although low carb diets are tempting due to the quick results, they are not healthy in the long run. If your looking to be fit and health, feed your body with the nutrients it needs and consume a balanced diet. The key to loosing weight is simple, expend more calories than you consume. You will have success and feel great :)

Hope this helps!

PS- Carbohydrate restricted diets are beneficial for people suffering from insulin resistance issues such as diabetes and polycystic ovarian syndrome.

I'd recommend doing a bit of your own research on the topic. As a student of nutrition, I'm sure this kind of thing would be of interest to you.

There is nothing wrong with ketosis. It is a natural state for our body.

We've eaten low carbs since the dawn of time and our bodies have evolved doing that.

There is plenty and plenty of science that supports low-carb being healthier in the long-run. Have a read through Robb Wolf's stuff or Dr. Loren Cordain.

Also Gary Taubes' books are great and shows the whole history behind the low-fat vs low-carb debate. Before the 60's, it was common knowledge that carbs made you fat.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've done the Atkins type of diets over and over. You discover new and unique ways to satisfy that sweet-tooth - and still drop pounds. My favorote was Half and Half, and use a handmixter to mix in Sugar-Free Chocolate Fudge pudding. It whips up to a frosting type of consistency - then chill and you have low-carb Chocolate Mousse. Freeze for chocolate ice cream.

So, yes it works. Get those Keto-strips and monitor your ketosis. You can over-do it.

But, I don't support them. Why? Did I lose weight? Yes, I lost 20-50 lbs each and every time I tried it; this is a TEMPORARY lifestyle change. Sooner or later, you are going to have some spaghetti, bread, real ice cream, pancakes - those carbs are going to come back; and you'll resume your old eating habits - and before you know it; you are smack back where you started, plus usually another 10 lbs for good measure.

To get the weight off, and KEEP IT OFF - requires a diet that you can eat, literally anywhere - and some exercise. I'm using MFP to learn to budget my calories. So, light breakfast; and I get Chinese buffet (anything I want) for lunch, and a light supper before bed (probably lightly buttered microwave popcorn and Crystal Light) - and I'll be below my calorie intake for the day - and will STILL manage to lose weight. It's about learning portion control, caloric intake, and budgeting. These are key concepts that the low carb diet does NOT take into acccount.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I've done the Atkins type of diets over and over. You discover new and unique ways to satisfy that sweet-tooth - and still drop pounds. My favorote was Half and Half, and use a handmixter to mix in Sugar-Free Chocolate Fudge pudding. It whips up to a frosting type of consistency - then chill and you have low-carb Chocolate Mousse. Freeze for chocolate ice cream.

So, yes it works. Get those Keto-strips and monitor your ketosis. You can over-do it.

But, I don't support them. Why? Did I lose weight? Yes, I lost 20-50 lbs each and every time I tried it; this is a TEMPORARY lifestyle change. Sooner or later, you are going to have some spaghetti, bread, real ice cream, pancakes - those carbs are going to come back; and you'll resume your old eating habits - and before you know it; you are smack back where you started, plus usually another 10 lbs for good measure.

To get the weight off, and KEEP IT OFF - requires a diet that you can eat, literally anywhere - and some exercise. I'm using MFP to learn to budget my calories. So, light breakfast; and I get Chinese buffet (anything I want) for lunch, and a light supper before bed (probably lightly buttered microwave popcorn and Crystal Light) - and I'll be below my calorie intake for the day - and will STILL manage to lose weight. It's about learning portion control, caloric intake, and budgeting. These are key concepts that the low carb diet does NOT take into acccount.

Low carb does not mean you stay in ketosis your whole life. Most low carb diets take away all (almost all) carbs for two weeks, just two weeks, then you begin to add healthy carbs back into your diet til you find the amount that is right for you, anyone who does an Atkins or South Beach diet should know that, if not, they didn't follow the plan properly. (I only said Atkins & South beach since those are the only two I've read)
  • pattyproulx
    Options

Why do you go back to spaghetti? You lose weight and do well going low-carb, and then for some reason go back??

I don't understand this non-sustainable argument.

Why should the "diet" be faulted because people would rather be overweight and feel like crap than go without their spaghetti?

Again, using the smoker argument, that's like a smoker saying "Don't even try quitting smoking. I've done it for a while and felt great, but you just end up falling back into the habit. It's not sustainable."
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It's funny how low carb diets are automatically assumed to be extremely low and nothing but meat and butter. I do a lower carb diet that keeps me below about 75 grams a day. Sometimes it's a little higher, sometimes a little lower depending on what my day was like. I have a green smoothie every days and this is where the bulk of my carbs come in. My diet consists of mostly vegetables and meat, eggs, cheese and nuts. Notice the vegetables are first in the list? That's because I eat a lot of them and many of them are nicely low carb.

I feel better eating like this than I ever have before and not only am I losing weight but I've also increased my fitness levels quite a bit. I'm two thirds of the way through my second round of P90X (which is pretty physically demanding) and I do Taekwondo and bike ride along with this program. I do very, very little grains and while I do consume fruit I watch the amounts pretty closely.

I have a friend who is about 10 years older than me who has eaten the "everything in moderation" type of diet for a long time. He's a runner and he's a healthy weight yet last week he underwent a procedure to open a 99.9% blocked artery. His doctor told him he was a massive heart attack waiting to happen and told him to eat pretty much like I already do. Reduce the carbs, lots of vegetables, watch the fruits, plenty of protein and watch the inflammatory fats. He'll be going back in to have another artery checked in a week or so because they think he's got another blockage but they had to take care of the first one immediately because it was so bad.

So I'm feeling comfortable with my diet both from a medical standpoint and a "how I feel" stand point. I'll be starting the "Insanity" workouts as soon as I'm done with P90X. This is pretty amazing since last summer all I could do was sit around and feel like crap. :)
  • Hodar
    Options

Hope this helps!

As a student majoring in nutrition, you should know that Atkins is high fat, not high protein.
    Ummm, if you read the Atkin's books; you will find that you are wrong. The goal is to eat high protein foods (cheese, fish, meat), all the veggies you want - and avoid CARBS. No mention of fat is made at all, as a dietary directive. Like McDonalds Cheeseburgers? No problem, order 3-4 of them and throw away the buns. Fatty hamburger is perfectly fine - it's the protein that counts. The emphasis is on Protein - again, meat, fish, chicken, cheese and veggies (with the ommissions of sweet peas, corn, potatoes and other starch laden veggies; forget fruits entirely).
  • Hodar
    Options

But, I don't support them. Why? Did I lose weight? Yes, I lost 20-50 lbs each and every time I tried it; this is a TEMPORARY lifestyle change. .......

Why do you go back to spaghetti? You lose weight and do well going low-carb, and then for some reason go back??

I don't understand this non-sustainable argument.

Why should the "diet" be faulted because people would rather be overweight and feel like crap than go without their spaghetti?

Again, using the smoker argument, that's like a smoker saying "Don't even try quitting smoking. I've done it for a while and felt great, but you just end up falling back into the habit. It's not sustainable."
    You misunderstand, the Atkins allows you to eat AS MUCH AS YOU WANT, it only limits the carbs.

The concept of portion control is thrown out the window, the concept of calorie budgeting is non-existant. Eat Bacon smoothered in Mayo and wrapped in Lettuce - all you want. All the heavy cream, Ranch Dressing, 1" thick steaks and green beans you can carry. As long as you maintain Ketosis, your body is forced into burning Fat, because you have artifically restricted your sugar and carb intake.

So, you get used to eating 16 oz steaks, drowning your Lobster in butter, butter on your green beans, drowning your Salads in Ranch dressing and avacado. Make your salads with tons of Mayo. No basic concept of either portion control or calorie monitoring required.

And this works great - until you eat some carbs (intentionally, or unintentionally) and you slip out of Ketosis.

Then, the eating habits you had prior to Atkins, mixed with the eating habits sustained during Atkins sabotage the entire effort. You have a slice of bread, lather it with butter, have your usual steak - and NOW that you are out of Ketosis, those Calories count - and they count big time.

Those 3-4 McDonalds Cheeseburgers you ate without the bun, now that is a ~1200-1500 entree.

And, as no big surprise, if you start consuming 3,000 - 5,000 calories a day; without being in Ketosis, the weight will come back on.
  • tripandglide
    tripandglide Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am doing a low-carb type diet: 5% carbs, 65% Fat and 30% protein. I only decided to try it after reading Lyle McDonald's The Ketogenic Diet. Reading the science behind it makes it seem like the best way to lose fat (and maybe weight). I want to lose the fat and keep the muscle that I have built up this year. I can't say Yea or Nay for it yet but after reading the science behind it, I am pretty confident in it. Though the my diet is high fat, I try to keep it as much unsaturated as I can. I also visit the doctor before the diet and during, just to make sure everything is cool.

I also read this:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2304690/Lifestyle Medicine Mayo Clinic Keto.doc
    for meal plan recommendation.

After I get to a good health weight and fat percentage, I'm thinking about slowly moving to the paleolithic diet. I still have a lot more research to do though. I know for sure that processed food will never be a part of my life again.
  • melinda6569
    melinda6569 Posts: 124
    Options

Hope this helps!

This is Awesome..I have a friend who keeps telling me go no carbs and i keep saying NO NO NO ...Slow and steady wins the RACE.....Thanks :smile:
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    You misunderstand, the Atkins allows you to eat AS MUCH AS YOU WANT, it only limits the carbs.

The concept of portion control is thrown out the window, the concept of calorie budgeting is non-existant. Eat Bacon smoothered in Mayo and wrapped in Lettuce - all you want. All the heavy cream, Ranch Dressing, 1" thick steaks and green beans you can carry. As long as you maintain Ketosis, your body is forced into burning Fat, because you have artifically restricted your sugar and carb intake.

So, you get used to eating 16 oz steaks, drowning your Lobster in butter, butter on your green beans, drowning your Salads in Ranch dressing and avacado. Make your salads with tons of Mayo. No basic concept of either portion control or calorie monitoring required.

And this works great - until you eat some carbs (intentionally, or unintentionally) and you slip out of Ketosis.

Then, the eating habits you had prior to Atkins, mixed with the eating habits sustained during Atkins sabotage the entire effort. You have a slice of bread, lather it with butter, have your usual steak - and NOW that you are out of Ketosis, those Calories count - and they count big time.

Those 3-4 McDonalds Cheeseburgers you ate without the bun, now that is a ~1200-1500 entree.

And, as no big surprise, if you start consuming 3,000 - 5,000 calories a day; without being in Ketosis, the weight will come back on.

That's besides my point though. Again, why would you go back to eating carbs?

On low-carb, you CAN eat as much as you want because the protein and fat satiate you. I eat as much as I want and don't need to count calories. I have a hard time making it to 2000-2500 calories a day (I'm 6'2, 200lbs). That is the reason you can eat as much as you want. Your body's hormones start workign again and your body is told when you are full.

I do see your point I guess that if someone wants to do this for a short stint without understanding the concepts behind it, they could get in the habit of overeating once they go back.

With that said, I don't see how this is not sustainable long-term.
    The fact that I can eat as much as I can everyday without having to count calories and know that I won't get fat to me is much more liberating than counting calories and preventing myself to eat because I'll go over, despite my being hungry.

FYI - You don't need to be in ketosis to lose weight. I generally am not in ketosis, averaging 75g of carbs, and I'm losing weight more effectively than I ever did counting calories.
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is not dangerous. You may be confusing it with ketoacidosis, which is dangerous. :smile:
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    i tried the low carb thing a few years back, and yes, you will see quick results. But, who wants to live always craving what you can't have? My friend has been low carbing for years, (she cheats alot) haven't seen any real loss, and she is always sick.
    I will stick with the calorie thing. It works for me, and i wouldn't want it any other way.

Who wants to always be craving what you can't have? Would you tell that to a smoker or alcoholic?

Just because people might be addicted to sugar and grains and would crave it if they dropped it, doesn't mean they should continue eating them regularly or that the cravings would necessarily persist.

I would much rather eat my steak and bacon, and olive oil and veggies and be satisfied until my next meal.
    Who wants to always be concerned about counting calories and always being hungry for fear they might go over?

Are you saying the carbs, a natural substance that fuels the body is the same as cigarettes?! Really?!

For some people, like myself, it can almost be that bad. My body reacts badly to sugar in foods and I have to be careful about what kind of sugar and how much I put into it. That means certain fruits and veggies are out. A low carb lifestyle is the only thing that works for me. Because the simple expend more than you intake wasn't cutting it either.

The key is to find what works for you. Low Carb isn't for everyone and it is definitely not as bad as some make it out to be. Are there somethings I use to eat that I miss? Sure, but I enjoy being almost 100lbs lighter more.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

With all due respect.... I tried the whole balanced diet and expending more than I took in. That doesn't work for everyone. Weight and dietary needs are not a cookie cutter solution for everyone. I have a problem with my leptin levels in my blood and a low carb lifestyle change is the only thing that has helped me.

Not all low carb lifestyle diets are Atkins by any means. Read the Rosedale Diet by Ron Rosedale and you will see what I mean. Might find it to be an interesting and informative read considering your field of study.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I just love how people take the “eat as much as you want” and translate that into meaning “eat 10000 calories as long as it’s only 25g of carbs, blows my mind how this strawman gets thrown around like real, thinking, people will buy it, gee. Carry on this is so foolish I don’t think I need to get entangled in this one.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an awful thread full of awful comments.

What is wrong with you people?

You are not a nutritionist. You do not know everything. Stop acting like it.