Fat suckers?

Replies

• Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Niner you are in a losing battle here. People have every right to their own opinion, but sometimes one should keep it to himself! Fat doesn't come off overnight. And some women have cellulite (that is genetic) Spanx are also great under white or cream pants because you can "freeball" it (sorry for that) and not have to worry about panty lines :) We are here working hard and getting results, if an under garment can aid in looking better in clothing that WE normally couldn't/wouldn't wear then go for it!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Who would like to see ninerbuff wear a pair of Spanx to his next big event ... under a tuxedo maybe ... in August ... in the tropics ... AFTER giving birth ... with the caveat that he must disrobe to urinate.

hahahahahaha.
    I'm wearing Spandex in my avatar................not to hold up my butt, but to show I have curves.:wink:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I'm not sure if "crutch" is the right term, but yes, we do use them because we have bits of the body that aren't as slim or firm or taut as we would like. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    For some people they are an alternative to losing weight, for others they are a confidence booster along the way.
    For me, it's the latter - I bought a size 12 dress (US size 8, and down 3 sizes from 6 months ago) a few weeks ago. That is my goal size but the dress was slightly too tight - wearing a "fat sucker" let me wear it out for the night, but I don't plan to be needing it next time I wear it out, another kg or two gone and I will fit into it without the extra help.
    So for me it's not a crutch, it's a rather uncomfortable motivator!!
  • ninerbuff
    Niner you are in a losing battle here. People have every right to their own opinion, but sometimes one should keep it to himself! Fat doesn't come off overnight. And some women have cellulite (that is genetic) Spanx are also great under white or cream pants because you can "freeball" it (sorry for that) and not have to worry about panty lines :) We are here working hard and getting results, if an under garment can aid in looking better in clothing that WE normally couldn't/wouldn't wear then go for it!!!!
    It's nice that women are supporting each other here on the topic, but I don't think most here are looking from a male point of view either. Most males won't tell it to you in your faces, but when "checking you out" we aren't that naive to know who may be "hiding" what they really look like under their clothes. Hey if it makes you feel better about you, that's fine. Again, my main point was that I feel it's a crutch for those could achieve more rather than let a piece of stretching material compensate. Take the training wheels of the bike.
  • ninerbuff

So for me it's not a crutch, it's a rather uncomfortable motivator!!
    Which is a different reason for wearing it. Your plan is to rid yourself of it, where most females I know that wear them do it to create an illusion. Point is it doesn't have to be an illusion. Hard work, discipline and a burning desire can achieve the same.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    It's nice that women are supporting each other here on the topic, but I don't think most here are looking from a male point of view either.

It's one thing to offer an opinion about the way they look. It's another thing entirely to offer your opinion about WHY women wear them, when you, yourself have never done so.

That's jacka$$ territory you're skirting. So take me up on it! Wear a pair for a day to a special occassion. Then come back and reply whether or not you actually believe they are a crutch. And I'm not joking at all - if you are so opinionated on the matter, walk in our shoes.

Otherwise, you should probably shut it when it comes to our motivations about the under things we select.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    It's nice that women are supporting each other here on the topic, but I don't think most here are looking from a male point of view either. Most males won't tell it to you in your faces, but when "checking you out" we aren't that naive to know who may be "hiding" what they really look like under their clothes. Hey if it makes you feel better about you, that's fine. Again, my main point was that I feel it's a crutch for those could achieve more rather than let a piece of stretching material compensate. Take the training wheels of the bike.

You have some women that put on a lot of weight with pregnancies. Whether due to multiples, diabetes, etc. Stretching the skin that quickly is hard on the body. And it is possible, for some, to go back to the flat tummies we had before but for some its not. The abdominal wall stretches during pregnancy. So the muscles aren't at tight as they were before. Some of us aren't "fat" or using it as a crutch, but as an "accessory". That little pooch isn't as apparent when wearing spanx. But for a man to criticize a woman for using something as a crutch is out of line. Majority of women/moms don't have all the extra time to go to the gym like our boyfriends/husbands because we have kids and boyfriends/husbands to tend to.
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    I almost read this wrong with a F instead of an S i was about to say WHAAAAATTTT LMAO I think what you are referring to is Spanx they really push your fat in i will tell you that.. they worked wonders on my love handles lol
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    History shows us women have always used devices to look more attractive to males. Corsets, girldles and bodices to name a few.

Even on a normal day we are required to wear underwear that do not show lines, pantyhose for a professional look and of course the dreaded bra.

Go to work one day not wearing one, and see how long you get to stay.

Men of course never have to wear a cup to work!! :laugh:

Most men love the illusions us women create for them. :glasses:

As for spanx, I wear then with light pants, tight skirts and I also love the tight tank top slimmers for the little bulge on the side.

I have worked hard to get where I am, but at 50 and having given birth to 3 babies, I will always need a lil sumptin sumptin to hold it all together:smokin:
  • I used the target version of spanx hosery for my sis's wedding. They were awesome. I don't have Spanx bc they are so expensive. But, I have heard lots of good things about them.

P.S. lots of people use spanx- celebrities even. :)
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    With the absolute best of intentions here I think I know where Niner is coming from... It's still a personal preference but I have to admit that I know exactly the women he is talking about and my husband and his friends can pick them out a mile away. I don't condone it but more like hang my head in shame and have to admit that I see what they see. No matter how much I'd love to play dumb and say NO that woman naturally looks like she is poured out of plastic except for her back or tops of the thighs where the spanks end....

It is true women like to support other women and sure a pair of gut suckers to make you feel good now and again isn't a bad thing but just know that people like Niner are out there, probably more than would make you comfortable, and that THEY are certainly noticing that you are trying to present something a little less than natural to the general public. If one man's opinion bothers you this much try to imagine all of the men and people out there who would never dream of saying anything but are thinking it all the while anyhow.

This is with anything "unnatural" though... padded bras, weaves, dye jobs, tummy tucks, breast augmentation... people can spot them from a mile away and if you are doing it for you then great but dont expect everyone to be as supportive as your closest friends.
  • ninerbuff
    It's nice that women are supporting each other here on the topic, but I don't think most here are looking from a male point of view either.

It's one thing to offer an opinion about the way they look. It's another thing entirely to offer your opinion about WHY women wear them, when you, yourself have never done so.

That's jacka$$ territory you're skirting. So take me up on it! Wear a pair for a day to a special occassion. Then come back and reply whether or not you actually believe they are a crutch. And I'm not joking at all - if you are so opinionated on the matter, walk in our shoes.

Otherwise, you should probably shut it when it comes to our motivations about the under things we select.
    It's not hard to figure out why women wear them. Heck, even the infomercial will tell you it's to "hide" unsightly bulges and to create an illusion of a "thinner" body.
  • ninerbuff
    You have some women that put on a lot of weight with pregnancies. Whether due to multiples, diabetes, etc. Stretching the skin that quickly is hard on the body. And it is possible, for some, to go back to the flat tummies we had before but for some its not. The abdominal wall stretches during pregnancy. So the muscles aren't at tight as they were before. Some of us aren't "fat" or using it as a crutch, but as an "accessory". That little pooch isn't as apparent when wearing spanx. But for a man to criticize a woman for using something as a crutch is out of line. Majority of women/moms don't have all the extra time to go to the gym like our boyfriends/husbands because we have kids and boyfriends/husbands to tend to.
    Have trained many a mom after pregnancy. And while the abdominal wall does stretch, muscles will return to normal with exercise. I'm sure you've heard of the term "muscle has memory". What you are referring to as pooch, is body fat and possibly excess skin which isn't muscle.
    I won't really go into the "extra time" to go to the gym since I do all the "mom" work at home (including child care), but like many moms that MAKE time to do it, it's "our" time and keeps us sane from all chaos. There is ALWAYS an hour in a day you can spend on you and you don't need a gym to exercise.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    i would like to get one.... i have this really stubborn stomach that i'd like to smooth out... and i don't think anything apart from surgery will do the trick, after 2 c-sections, my stomach has a heap of loose skin.

but they are scary, i looked at target and they looked like the dark ages, so i freaked out and ran away... maybe i'll go into a lingerie store and ask for some advice one day.

my Sister in law wears them and she looks all smooth without the big bulgy excess skin on the tummy. babies, who'd have them?!*

and, i am a mum, and i do go to the gym 4-5 times a week for at least an hour at a time... i've worked hard, and will continue to work hard to lose more weight. but i would really be shocked and surprised if my stomach ever went back to looking flat in clothes again in this lifetime without surgery. i know it can happen, but that would take some pretty extreme dieting and fanatical exercise (even more fanatical than 5 times a week). I don't expect to ever wear a bikini again, but i'd like to look good in clothes, and i think that will either take surgery or a support garment.... nobody cares about women wearing bras, it's just expected of us, but when it comes to support, it's thought to be cheating... generally gravity isn't that great to women after their child bearing years, so we have to have a little support and help to look the best we can.
  • ninerbuff
    With the absolute best of intentions here I think I know where Niner is coming from... It's still a personal preference but I have to admit that I know exactly the women he is talking about and my husband and his friends can pick them out a mile away. I don't condone it but more like hang my head in shame and have to admit that I see what they see. No matter how much I'd love to play dumb and say NO that woman naturally looks like she is poured out of plastic except for her back or tops of the thighs where the spanks end....

It is true women like to support other women and sure a pair of gut suckers to make you feel good now and again isn't a bad thing but just know that people like Niner are out there, probably more than would make you comfortable, and that THEY are certainly noticing that you are trying to present something a little less than natural to the general public. If one man's opinion bothers you this much try to imagine all of the men and people out there who would never dream of saying anything but are thinking it all the while anyhow.

This is with anything "unnatural" though... padded bras, weaves, dye jobs, tummy tucks, breast augmentation... people can spot them from a mile away and if you are doing it for you then great but dont expect everyone to be as supportive as your closest friends.
    Well at least I found someone to see a viewpoint that some may have overlooked. Funny thing is that lots and lots of women will comment on how "fake" another woman looks, yet because I'm a male saying it in a "nice" way I'm getting lambasted. I can take it, but maybe if they hear it from you, some may at least consider what is actually being viewed by others.
  • ninerbuff
    i would like to get one.... i have this really stubborn stomach that i'd like to smooth out... and i don't think anything apart from surgery will do the trick, after 2 c-sections, my stomach has a heap of loose skin.

but they are scary, i looked at target and they looked like the dark ages, so i freaked out and ran away... maybe i'll go into a lingerie store and ask for some advice one day.

my Sister in law wears them and she looks all smooth without the big bulgy excess skin on the tummy. babies, who'd have them?!*

and, i am a mum, and i do go to the gym 4-5 times a week for at least an hour at a time... i've worked hard, and will continue to work hard to lose more weight. but i would really be shocked and surprised if my stomach ever went back to looking flat in clothes again in this lifetime without surgery. i know it can happen, but that would take some pretty extreme dieting and fanatical exercise (even more fanatical than 5 times a week). I don't expect to ever wear a bikini again, but i'd like to look good in clothes, and i think that will either take surgery or a support garment.... nobody cares about women wearing bras, it's just expected of us, but when it comes to support, it's thought to be cheating... generally gravity isn't that great to women after their child bearing years, so we have to have a little support and help to look the best we can.
    Okay so support from me here..........C sections cut muscle. Once muscle is cut, it will practically NEVER be the same again, so females that have had C sections may NEVER physically have the same flat abdomen they started with. I am a supporter of surgery when it comes to physical issues (sagging breasts, loose skin) that no exercise or nutrition can cure.
  • I wear one when I wear a dress.
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    As someone else stated, Spanx (or the equivalent) are useful for dresses/shirts that are clingy around the midsection to smooth everything out. However, there's one issue that I'd like to point out so someone doesn't wind up disappointed later. I have a fairly small waist compared to my stomach/hips, and that's something that's nice to show off every once in a while. If I wear Spanx, it just redistributes the fat from my stomach to up around my waist, and I lose that hourglass look. Depending on the dress, that might be ok, but sometimes I'd rather show off my true shape and deal with the fact that not every part of me looks the way I want it to (yet)... just something to consider.