Steel Cut Oats-where have you been all my life?

Options
I would always see this on people diet and one day asked my sister the dietician about them. She said she loves them and would never go back to regular oatmeal. I bought some and never made them. So while on my visit to her house she made some one morning and we flavored it with about a 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar for a little sweetness. Are you kidding me-why have I been eating regular oats this whole time. Have you tried these and if you haven't I would totally consider it!!

Replies

• tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I had them for breakfast the past three days!!! They are so wonderful - I just add a little brown sugar and some dried cranberries too. Wonderful!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I have a bag of them for my protein bars just never opened it. I don't know how to cook them or anything like that. I love oatmeal thou.
  • Shed4Wed
    Shed4Wed Posts: 25
    Options
    Never heard of them. What's different about them?
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I love them with a cut up baked apple, with cinnamon...tastes like apple crisp. Or sometimes with some banana slices. Delicious. Love their texture and yummy nutty taste.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Never heard of them. What's different about them?

I'm also curious what's different. Oatmeal makes me gag so I'm curious!
  • Maputi
    Maputi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I add a little cinnamon.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    What's the difference b/tw regular and steel cut??
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I really like them, but haven't had them for a while, so thanks for the reminder. They do take quite a while to cook, so when I make them, I make enough for 2 breakfasts....eat one serving, refrigerate the rest and heat up the following day! I stir some greek yogurt and fruit in with mine....or some protein powder.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I do love oatmeal too, but these are so much better. Mine you just put 3 cups of water to boil and add 1 cup of the oats and let it simmer for 20 mins. Then I let it sit covered for 5minutes. Easy and it makes enough to refrigerate and reheat later.
  • brendalyne
    Options
    What's the difference b/tw regular and steel cut??

Steel cut are a completely different texture....a lot "chewier"! Uncooked they look like little tiny pebbles instead of a flattened out flake of oats.
  • pftjill
    Options
    They have a little crunch to them and aren't just a mushy mess. Don't get me wrong I have my oatmeal I love, but I like that these have texture. So many options to add. I will be buying some apples. These are things I did with my oatmeal. I need to start doing them with my steel cut oats!!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I would always see this on people diet and one day asked my sister the dietician about them. She said she loves them and would never go back to regular oatmeal. I bought some and never made them. So while on my visit to her house she made some one morning and we flavored it with about a 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar for a little sweetness. Are you kidding me-why have I been eating regular oats this whole time. Have you tried these and if you haven't I would totally consider it!!

I haven't tried them, but I think I will. Like the other person, I am not sure why they are better than regular Quaker Oats...please explain.

Thanks!
  • brendalyne
    Options
    Quite some time ago someone posted some recipies to make them in a crock pot, so it's ready to go when you wake up in the morning. I haven't tried it yet....but one of these days..........
  • LisaM100
    LisaM100 Posts: 14
    Options
    I like to make a big batch and put them in individual ziplock containers or baggies and freeze them. I add a hand full of fresh blueberries before I freeze them and when I warm it up in the microwave it makes for a hearty breakfast. Any other fruit would do as well, and freezing it makes for a quick meal when i am feeling hungry!
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love to make mine with milk, its sooo creamy and decadent. (Of course, I have to forgo the sugar to keep the calories under control)
  • LisaM100
    LisaM100 Posts: 14
    Options
    McCann's Steel Cut Oatmeal at Trader Joe's, and by the way........I am not a big fan of oatmeal, but it works for me.:happy:
  • brendalyne
    Options
    Quite some time ago someone posted some recipies to make them in a crock pot, so it's ready to go when you wake up in the morning. I haven't tried it yet....but one of these days..........

Here's the thread with some crock pot recipies.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/236900-steel-cut-oats-in-crockpot?hl=steel+cut+oats+crock+pot&page=1#posts-3127686

As for WHY they are better than regular Quaker Oats...it's probably simply a matter of more fiber because they are less processed.
  • pftjill
    Options
    They are cut by steel a few times rather than rolled out. They also are lower on the glycemic index than rolled oats, which cause a lower spike in insulin levels.

In my opinion they just taste better-not as mushy!!
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I can't find them!!!!
  • pftjill
    Options
    At my grocery store they were near the oatmeal. I actually had to ask someone to find them the first time. They are Bobs Red Mill-apparently they are the first place winner for worlds best oatmeal. They taste just like the ones my sister buys. I am pretty sure she gets hers at Trader Joes. I just got mine at our local grocery store.