Steel Cut Oats-where have you been all my life?

Options

Replies

• circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I've looked by the oatmeal and in the organic sections, Wal Mart-No, Publix-No, Sweetbay-No, Winn Dixie- okay I haven't looked there yet, but I will. I want to try them!!!
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yes! Love them so much. I don't even like regular oatmeal, but these rock. My bf cooks them with mashed up banana, or I add a teaspoon of real maple syrup for a little sweetness. Yum! And not to be gross, but they keep you super regular, too.
  • Richard170
    Richard170 Posts: 37
    Options
    Steel cut oats are part of my work day morning. I have a Zojirushi rice cooker and I set it up each evening to run on a timer and my hot breakfast is ready each morning. Just rinse 1/4 cup oats, about 150 cal, add the appropriate amount of water and a pinch of salt. I also add some cinnamon and the kitchen just smells great in the morning. Tasty, easy, and healthy!

Steel cut oats, or Irish oats, are simply oat grouts that have been cut into a couple of pieces instead of being process by rolling, steaming and toasting like "regular" oats.

Enjoy,
    Richard
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I will get some next time I go shopping.
    Right now I'm enjoying plain - instant oatmeal.
    I add half a banana sliced up, a sprinkle of cinnamon and half a pack of sugar in the raw - YUMMY!!
  • McRebecca
    McRebecca Posts: 72
    Options
    Quite some time ago someone posted some recipies to make them in a crock pot, so it's ready to go when you wake up in the morning. I haven't tried it yet....but one of these days..........

OOH I would love to find that recipe!! I hate making breakfast so that would be a nice treat!
  • wellnesscoachmegg
    wellnesscoachmegg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats are AMAZING! I do mine in a crockpot with a little cinnamon. When I eat it, I add 1/2 cup of almond milk....delish! One of the few grains that actually keep me going until lunch. I have a great recipe that I use for dinners--because it is a little more substantial, and caloric than just a batch of steel cut oats with some water would be.

Serves 6 to 8

For the steel cut oats:

1 cup steel cut oats (not quick cooking)
    4 cups water
    pinch of salt

Steel Cut Oats with Ricotta, Pistachios & Raisins (an individual serving):

1/2 cup prepared steel cut oats (see step 1)
    1 teaspoon brown sugar or honey
    1 tablespoon raisins
    1 tablespoon fresh ricotta
    1 teaspoon chopped pistachios

To make the oats, bring the water to a boil in a deep pot. Add oats and cook until they begin to thicken. Reduce to a simmer, and continue cooking, uncovered, until grains are slightly tender and water has mostly absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off heat, cover pot and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Make-ahead: Steel cut oats reheat very well, so I like to make extra this way we can enjoy them on busy weekday mornings. Store leftovers in a covered container. Spoon our individual portions into a bowl, adding a tablespoon or two of milk or water, then cover and microwave until heated through, about 1 minute does the job in my 1000 watt microwave.
    To serve, add 1/2 cup of cooked oats to a deep bowl. Scatter sugar or honey and raisins on top. Add ricotta cheese and sprinkle pistachios on top. Serve immediately—I like to stir it all up so I get a bit of everything in each spoonful!

*source: food52.com
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I can't find mine anywhere other than Target. Check there in the oatmeal section. They usually come in a smaller container, so you might have to look a little harder.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia:

Steel-cut oats are whole grain groats which have been cut into only two or three pieces by steel rather than being rolled. Also known as coarse-cut oats, pinhead oats, or Irish oats. Takes longer to prepare than instant or rolled oats due to its minimal processing, typically 15–30 minutes on simmer.

Rolled oats (or old fashioned oats) have been rolled into flat flakes under heavy rollers and then steamed and lightly toasted.
    Instant oats (or quick oats) have also been rolled - these are just a thinner version of rolled (or old fashioned) oats.

Brands to look for: McCann's - small white tin or box, Quaker - dark blue round cannister, Bob's Red Mill - package looks like a clear plastic bag of flour.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I like to make a big batch and put them in individual ziplock containers or baggies and freeze them. I add a hand full of fresh blueberries before I freeze them and when I warm it up in the microwave it makes for a hearty breakfast. Any other fruit would do as well, and freezing it makes for a quick meal when i am feeling hungry!

THIS is a great idea!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    They are cut by steel a few times rather than rolled out. They also are lower on the glycemic index than rolled oats, which cause a lower spike in insulin levels.

In my opinion they just taste better-not as mushy!!

OK, you have me sold! They are now officially on my grocery list! :)
  • vancouveritegirl
    Options
    Love steel-cut oats! I cook a whole batch of them but then measure out 1 cup COOKED. I microwave that then add a bit of skim milk some blueberries and a scoop of vanilla protein powder! So yummy!
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try these for awhile.. think I may actually pick some up. I can eat regular oatmeal, but can't say it's something I'd choose on any kind of regular basis and I think it's mostly due to the mush texture. I'm really weird about texture.. lol.
  • inafit16177
    Options
    bump!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I LOVE steel cut oats. The texture, the taste.. It's awesome. I usually put either honey or brown sugar in, and don't need a lot. But I have them every single morning for breakfast. Without them starting my day, the day just sucks.
  • SLIM195
    SLIM195 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Wal-mart sells them. I saw them yesterday, priced at $3.89 under the Quaker Oats brand. Little more expense than regular oatmeal. There in the Cereal aisle, in the Chicago, IL area.
  • sheBB
    sheBB Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Was considering getting steel cut oats now I will. Going out tomorrow to get some.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Another easy way to cook them.... put the water and oats in a pot, bring it to a boil. Turn it off, put the lid on the pot, and go to bed. In the morning you can scoop and microwave a serving, put the rest in a tupperware container in the fridge for later. Low cal things you cook in that taste good in the oats... butter extract, almond extract, vanilla, cinnamon, maple flavoring, NSA apple sauce (use less water), and any fresh fruit.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats plus a hard boiled egg used to be my staple breakfast....but I've been getting lazy. I gotta get back into that groove!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried them raw, overnight-style?

I've done this with rolled oats, but am interested in trying it with steel-cut instead...
  • tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally speaking, steel cut oats and rolled oaks are both whole oat grains so they are both healthy and pretty much the same nutritionally-speaking. Normal rolled oats are an oat grain that has been rolled flat which makes them cook faster but are mushier. Steel cut oats are cut instead of rolled flat so they are like tiny little pebbles. They take longer to cook but they are not as mushy as regular oatmeal. I prefer them for that reason. To cook: Use a ratio of 3/1 or 4/1 water to oats, bring to a boil and then simmer for 25-30 minutes. Make sure you stir them frequently or they will stick to the bottom of the pan. I like to add a little brown sugar and some dried berries - sooo good and healthy!

I buy them from the bulk section of the local grocery store - about $0.99/lb.