BodyFit Media Question

Options
tlems
tlems Posts: 104 Member
Does any one have the BodyMedia FIT Weight Management System as sold at Costco?

I am considering purchasing one, and I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience they could share with me about the product.

Thank you! :smile:

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyBugg... same product, different website system. I think it rocks the Kasbah. Some days I'm so lazy I burn less than my calculated TDEE and I can adjust to get the right deficit. Other days (even non-workout days) I burn through calories like a California wildfire and know I need to add calories so my deficit isn't too big.

No better way to get this info outside of a lab, excepting BodyBugg and BodyMedia Fit.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    100% agree with the above poster. I have the BodyMedia Fit and although I didnt get it at Costco, it has completely changed the way that I approach eating and exercising. In fact as I was just downstairs getting lunch instead of thinking "I have to eat as little possible" I was thinking... "oh I really have to eat more because I have such a huge calorie deficicit.

Love it! :)
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Fit and really like it. It shows those days when I'm running around doing stuff, or others when I'm stuck in front of the computer all day. That lets me see a clearer idea of my calorie burn, so I can adjust my intake. It's surprising how many steps I take shopping at Costco for instance.

It also helped me adjust my fitness level setting on my heart rate monitor so I was getting a more accurate calorie measurement from it. HR Monitors tell you a different calorie burn based on a fitness level you set. The expensive ones might do a fitness test for that, but mine doesn't. Now I have it so they match up pretty well, except for strength training, where the high heart rates cause the HRM to read too many calories burned. I go with the Bodymedia Fit number for that when I log calories burned.

I'm a geek and like to have the data available to track my progress, so it's been great for me.
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Do you have to pay a monthly fee to access these websites they use?
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Oooh I thought of one bad thing about the BMF --- I have a wicked tan line from wearing it while running :)
  • baisleac
    Options

Yes and no. A new BMF or BB comes with some free subscription time, after which you have to pay a monthly sub fee to maintain access to the website. There are ways to around this (getting the info straight from the device itself). I no longer pay a monthly subscription, but still get the burn/steps info.
  • baisleac
    Options
    Oooh I thought of one bad thing about the BMF --- I have a wicked tan line from wearing it while running :)

Hee! I have one of these too. I wear it with pride though. It's a symbol that I'm aware of my body and doing my utmost to take care of it. :bigsmile:
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Yes and no. A new BMF or BB comes with some free subscription time, after which you have to pay a monthly sub fee to maintain access to the website. There are ways to around this (getting the info straight from the device itself). I no longer pay a monthly subscription, but still get the burn/steps info.

I'm not sure I understand. So you don't actually NEED the subscription? What does the subscription offer?
  • tlems
    tlems Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! I have just two questions.
    1.) What type of calorie defecit do you try to maintain?
    2.) How does it keep contact with your body - just on the arm? I am just so used to the chest strap it seems odd that there wouldn't be a direct access point to your heart beat like that.

Also, the costco version says it comes with an addition strap and 12 month subscription.
  • Didaniel
    Didaniel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I recently got the BodyMedia Fit and I'm not sure it's working correctly. For one thing the calorie burn is way off from my HRM. Also it occasionally shows I'm up walking around in the middle of the night. It showed my sleep quality was so poor that I was obsessing about how much sleep I wasn't getting. I'm taking a break from it right now and trying to put things into perspective. Has anyone else had problems like this with the Fit or BodyBugg? Thanks!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I have the bodymedia FIT and it's great. Very accurate as I've done two types of testing:

1. I tested what my maintenance was by eating the SAME every day for 4 straight weeks.

2. Then I used the BM Fit and it was about a 100 calorie difference. Accurate.

To the poster above me, your caloric burn can vary while you are sleeping depending on whether or not your heart rate climbs due to dreaming. That is why you are noticing a difference during the night.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I have a BodyMedia Go Wear Fit....I'm guessing that's different so I "erased" my old post.
  • baisleac
    Options

I'm not sure I understand. So you don't actually NEED the subscription? What does the subscription offer?

The subscription offers access to the website. I use a software program called FreeBugg to download the data.
  • baisleac
    Options
    I recently got the BodyMedia Fit and I'm not sure it's working correctly. For one thing the calorie burn is way off from my HRM. Also it occasionally shows I'm up walking around in the middle of the night. It showed my sleep quality was so poor that I was obsessing about how much sleep I wasn't getting. I'm taking a break from it right now and trying to put things into perspective. Has anyone else had problems like this with the Fit or BodyBugg? Thanks!

The BMF and BB are actually more accurate than most HRMs, which don't take VO2 max into account, and only use one data point (heart rate) to calculate burn.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

The BMF and BB are actually more accurate than most HRMs, which don't take VO2 max into account, and only use one data point (heart rate) to calculate burn.

^ This x 10000000.

Exactly.
  • baisleac
    Options
    Yikes! I have a BodyMedia Go Wear Fit....I'm guessing that's different so I "erased" my old post.

The BodyMedia Go Wear Fit is just an older version of the same product.
  • baisleac
    Options
    2.) How does it keep contact with your body - just on the arm? I am just so used to the chest strap it seems odd that there wouldn't be a direct access point to your heart beat like that.

Also, the costco version says it comes with an addition strap and 12 month subscription.

I just dropped my deficit. I was maintaining a 500 cal/per day deficit but am now at 20 lbs to go so I dropped it to 400 and will drop again to 300 in a couple of weeks.

Just on the arm. It uses several different metrics, which doesn't include heartrate. The armband has 2 or three accelerometers (depending on version), it counts steps, measures galvanic skin response (sweat, but even minute amounts that you wouldn't notice), and skin temperature. It uses all of these data points, along with your height, weight, and lifestyle to calculate your caloric burn at any given time. The longer you use it, and more you wear it, the better it "knows" you and the more accurate it becomes.

edit: *laughs at self* Why yes, I am a fan of this little device. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • emmaleigh47
    Options

I just dropped my deficit. I was maintaining a 500 cal/per day deficit but am now at 20 lbs to go so I dropped it to 400 and will drop again to 300 in a couple of weeks.

Just on the arm. It uses several different metrics, which doesn't include heartrate. The armband has 2 or three accelerometers (depending on version), it counts steps, measures galvanic skin response (sweat, but even minute amounts that you wouldn't notice), and skin temperature. It uses all of these data points, along with your height, weight, and lifestyle to calculate your caloric burn at any given time. The longer you use it, and more you wear it, the better it "knows" you and the more accurate it becomes.

edit: *laughs at self* Why yes, I am a fan of this little device. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

LOVE your post and your super duper positive attitude. I am in 100% agreement with you. I maintain a 500-750 calorie deficit kinda... its a bit harder for me with the marathon training. I cannot possibly eat all of those calories back, so on days when I run I try to come within 1000 and rest days I try to come 250 calories under. It has been working like a dream for me... I eat more... I run more... I feel better ... and yes I still get to go out to eat!
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options

I have a Polar HRM that measures VO2max during the initial set up. It's been so long since I set up my GWF that I don't recall measuring my VO2max but I may have. Do you think the GWF VO2max is more accurate?
  • baisleac
    Options

I have a Polar HRM that measures VO2max during the initial set up. It's been so long since I set up my GWF that I don't recall measuring my VO2max but I may have. Do you think the GWF VO2max is more accurate?

BMF, GWF, and BB don't use heartrate in their calculations so VO2 max is irrelevant.

VO2 Max - "VO2 max, or maximal oxygen uptake, is one factor that can determine an athlete's capacity to perform sustained exercise and is linked to aerobic endurance. VO2 max refers to the maximum amount of oxygen that an individual can utilize during intense or maximal exercise. It is measured as "milliliters of oxygen used in one minute per kilogram of body weight."

This measurement is generally considered the best indicator of an athlete's cardiovascular fitness and aerobic endurance."

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/VO2_max.htm